Deore vs LX vs XT V-brakes

Old July 30th 05, 06:25 PM
Jasper Janssen

Default Deore vs LX vs XT V-brakes

Quick check: Is there any reason to want LX or XT brakes rather than
Deore, when buying new? Price difference is fairly minimal, but present.

I read something about XT brakes being the only one of the set to have
parallelogram linkage which makes them need less readjustment over the
wear life of the pads. Given that I probably won't be getting any mud on
this bike, so the extra parts to wear out aren't so much an issue, and I
think it might be *nice* to have that, but it seems that opinions are
divided on the usefulness of the feature.

Jasper
Old July 30th 05, 06:37 PM
Zog The Undeniable

Jasper Janssen wrote:

Quick check: Is there any reason to want LX or XT brakes rather than
Deore, when buying new? Price difference is fairly minimal, but present.

I read something about XT brakes being the only one of the set to have
parallelogram linkage which makes them need less readjustment over the
wear life of the pads. Given that I probably won't be getting any mud on
this bike, so the extra parts to wear out aren't so much an issue, and I
think it might be *nice* to have that, but it seems that opinions are
divided on the usefulness of the feature.

LX also have this. It's good for keeping the pads aligned as they wear,
less good for squeal.
Old July 30th 05, 07:45 PM
Jasper Janssen

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 18:37:00 +0100, Zog The Undeniable
wrote:
Jasper Janssen wrote:

I read something about XT brakes being the only one of the set to have
parallelogram linkage which makes them need less readjustment over the
wear life of the pads. Given that I probably won't be getting any mud on
this bike, so the extra parts to wear out aren't so much an issue, and I
think it might be *nice* to have that, but it seems that opinions are
divided on the usefulness of the feature.

LX also have this. It's good for keeping the pads aligned as they wear,
less good for squeal.

LX it is, then. I like tinkering, but there are weeks or even months where
I really need the bike to just keep going with minimal effort. And
squealing just means the brakes are working right.

Jasper
Old July 30th 05, 10:42 PM
Lou Holtman

wrote:

Jasper Janssen wrote:

I read something about XT brakes being the only one of the set to have
parallelogram linkage which makes them need less readjustment over the
wear life of the pads. Given that I probably won't be getting any mud on
this bike, so the extra parts to wear out aren't so much an issue, and I
think it might be *nice* to have that, but it seems that opinions are
divided on the usefulness of the feature.

LX also have this. It's good for keeping the pads aligned as they wear,
less good for squeal.

LX it is, then. I like tinkering, but there are weeks or even months where
I really need the bike to just keep going with minimal effort. And
squealing just means the brakes are working right.

Jasper

The new LX don't have the parallelogram linkage any more. I always found
that the parallelogram construction was ****ty and made things too
complicated; to many joints.
I would look at Avids too.

Lou
--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu
Old July 31st 05, 03:41 PM
Zog The Undeniable

Lou Holtman wrote:

The new LX don't have the parallelogram linkage any more.

I didn't know they'd dropped parallel-push from LX. I purposely got
Deore to avoid it.

I always found
that the parallelogram construction was ****ty and made things too
complicated; to many joints.

I've heard it gets worse with age, as grit starts to wear the pivots.
Old July 31st 05, 03:55 PM
Lou Holtman

Zog The Undeniable wrote:
Lou Holtman wrote:

The new LX don't have the parallelogram linkage any more.

I didn't know they'd dropped parallel-push from LX. I purposely got
Deore to avoid it.

I always found

that the parallelogram construction was ****ty and made things too
complicated; to many joints.

I've heard it gets worse with age, as grit starts to wear the pivots.

Exactly. Stupid construction IMO. My simple Avids were better and more
durable than the XTR's.

Lou
--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu
Old July 31st 05, 05:57 PM
Jasper Janssen

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 16:55:11 +0200, Lou Holtman
wrote:
Zog The Undeniable wrote:

[parallellogram linkage for v-brakes]
I've heard it gets worse with age, as grit starts to wear the pivots.

Exactly. Stupid construction IMO. My simple Avids were better and more
durable than the XTR's.

Aside from things like this, where is the quality difference between an LX
linkage-free vbrake and a Deore (or for that matter Tourney) one? V-brakes
would seem to me to be mostly *so* mechanically simple that it would be
extremely hard to effectively design half a dozen different quality
levels, such as Shimano really needs for its marketing. Are the brake arms
of pricier brakes stronger? More adjustment for the pads?

Jasper
Old July 31st 05, 07:12 PM
Lou Holtman

wrote:

Zog The Undeniable wrote:

[parallellogram linkage for v-brakes]

I've heard it gets worse with age, as grit starts to wear the pivots.

Exactly. Stupid construction IMO. My simple Avids were better and more
durable than the XTR's.

Aside from things like this, where is the quality difference between an LX
linkage-free vbrake and a Deore (or for that matter Tourney) one? V-brakes
would seem to me to be mostly *so* mechanically simple that it would be
extremely hard to effectively design half a dozen different quality
levels, such as Shimano really needs for its marketing. Are the brake arms
of pricier brakes stronger? More adjustment for the pads?

Jasper

Yes they are simple. They are just levers. Differences?
Finish, cold forged or not, cartridge pads or not, stainless steel or
even titanium bolts and other bits and pieces, little weight, ball
bearings or plain bearings or no bearings.
What I can see comparing LX to Deore is that LX has cartridge pads,
nicer finish, maybe stainless bolts and it's a little lighter.

They are just brakes you know. Peanuts in the total cost of a bike.

Lou
--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu
Old July 31st 05, 07:45 PM
Peter Cole

Zog The Undeniable wrote:
Lou Holtman wrote:

The new LX don't have the parallelogram linkage any more.

I didn't know they'd dropped parallel-push from LX. I purposely got
Deore to avoid it.

I always found

that the parallelogram construction was ****ty and made things too
complicated; to many joints.

I've heard it gets worse with age, as grit starts to wear the pivots.

My XT-V's are 5-6 years old, never had any problems -- perfect (1
finger) braking.
Old July 31st 05, 07:59 PM
Lou Holtman

Peter Cole wrote:
Zog The Undeniable wrote:

Lou Holtman wrote:

The new LX don't have the parallelogram linkage any more.

I didn't know they'd dropped parallel-push from LX. I purposely got
Deore to avoid it.

I always found

that the parallelogram construction was ****ty and made things too
complicated; to many joints.

I've heard it gets worse with age, as grit starts to wear the pivots.

My XT-V's are 5-6 years old, never had any problems -- perfect (1
finger) braking.

Lucky you. In what condition do you use them? My XTR font brake became
so sloppy after 3 years that it became dangerous (pads almost hitting
the tire).
One finger braking has more to do with conditions, levers and cables.

Lou
--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu