Alternatives to handlebar tape?

Old October 24th 16, 05:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Phil Lee

Default Alternatives to handlebar tape?

John B. considered Mon, 24 Oct 2016 07:50:20
+0700 the perfect time to write:

On Sun, 23 Oct 2016 07:44:31 -0700, Joerg

On 2016-10-18 15:45, wrote:
On Monday, October 17, 2016 at 6:20:52 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 17 Oct 2016 11:41:05 -0700 (PDT),

wrote:

The site doesn't show Brifters specifically but does show
handlebar mounted brakes. See:
http://tinyurl.com/jk7zvyr and
http://support.velo-orange.com/#elkcovers.html -- cheers,

John B.

Well, plainly it would work with brifters. But Shimano made a
new reiteration of bar tape that is cheap and installs TONS
easier than the older types of take if only because the stickum
take is also elastic. And the End Plugs are made in such a manner
than any doofus (meaning me) can install them without pieces of
take sticking out.

I can make a completely professional looking job quite easily.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...ape&_sacat=888

Does this Shimano tape hold up well? Mainly regarding sweat exposure,
hard gripping/torqueing and the occasional brush against
vegetation.

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

No, Joerge it won't hold up to your unique never to be repeated by
anyone else usage. LOL VBEG

:-)

I mean holding up at least "to some extent". For example, the Oval
Concepts rubber handles on my MTB look almost like new after over two
years and around 5000 miles of real bush use. Despite the fact that my
LBS guy was sure they would not survive with my riding style. The road
bike handlebar tape I had so far can't even hold a candle here.

Then why use bar tape? You did mention that your perspiration causes
normal aluminum bars to excrete some sort of black gunk... use
stainless bars, or get your aluminum bars anodized.

The answers are already out there, just waiting to be discovered.

Of course, one has to make allowance for the complete inadequacy of
any solution that hasn't been bodged/invented/developed by Joerg
himself, in his extreme riding environment.
Maybe a home developed composite of resin with a weave of kevlar,
carbon nanotubes and titanium may prove adequate - as long as that
doesn't give of a scent attractive to mountain lions.
Of course, it would also have to be sufficiently robust to resist
damage from having accessories hose-clamped onto it.
Old October 24th 16, 05:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

I only have a couple thousand miles on it but so far it remains like new. It has grip and cushion and installs twice as easy as other tapes due to the fact that the adhesive stretches more than the bar tape itself. /Also the adhesive didn't appear to stick to the bar when you peeled the tape back while wrapping.

And since Shimano put their name on it that says plenty.
Old October 24th 16, 06:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Anodizing wears off. Stainless could be an option but I haven't seen it yet.

The answers are already out there, just waiting to be discovered.

For the lower section I could use longer MTB handles. Those are much
better than road bike stuff. Up top I may do something with leather once
this next tape is done. Maybe leather plus rope, not stitched but
wrapped around like with the golf clubs someone showed here.

I still think there would be a market for "Instant tape from a can".
Mask ... shake vigorously ... phhhhhhhhhhht ... done. Just like almost
everyone now uses Pam out of a spray can for greasing a skillet instead
of real grease.

Old October 24th 16, 06:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-10-18 15:45,

wrote:

[...]

Thanks, that is good to now. Maybe I should give handlebar tape one more
chance with this Shimano version. I don't care about feel, cushioning or
any of that. As long as it won't fray and my hands don't become discolored.

Old October 25th 16, 01:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

Joerg wrote:

For the lower section I could use longer MTB handles. Those are much
better than road bike stuff. Up top I may do something with leather once
this next tape is done. Maybe leather plus rope, not stitched but
wrapped around like with the golf clubs someone showed here.

I still think there would be a market for "Instant tape from a can".
Mask ... shake vigorously ... phhhhhhhhhhht ... done. Just like almost
everyone now uses Pam out of a spray can for greasing a skillet instead
of real grease.

Try a Google search for "spray on truck bed liner". Just mask off the bits
you don't want coated.
Old October 25th 16, 02:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Barry Beams

On Wednesday, October 12, 2016 at 4:24:32 PM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:
Just renewed the handlebar tape on my road bike. Again. My sweat doesn't
seem to be compatible with it and also it tears whenever I scrape a bush
or something. Friends have told me that it wouldn't be much better if
I'd use cork or some other fancy material. In contrast, the handlebar
rubbers on my MTB have held up over two years with no discrenible wear,
despite several crashes (no crashes with the road bike).

I wouldn't mind riding the bare aluminum which is what I end up doing a
lot once the tape is in tatters. But it leaves nasty black markings in
my palms which are hard to scrub away and might also not be very healthy.

Is there any alternative to this flimsy handlebar tape? Leather that can
be glued on? Half shells that can be screwed on? Some tough texture spray?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Wrap the bar in "Pocket Rubber" which is silicone tape. Sticks to itself, gives moderate padding. Much tougher than normal bar tape. Its also great for taping the ends of standard bar tape.
Old October 25th 16, 08:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Mon, 24 Oct 2016 18:31:53 -0700 (PDT), Barry Beams
wrote:

[...]

I've never seen pocket rubber" sold and their site seems to say it a
pretty new product and seems to talk about taping gasoline and
radiator hoses. What sort of shops would be likely to stock it?
--
cheers,

John B.

Old October 25th 16, 03:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-10-24 17:47, Ralph Barone wrote:
Joerg wrote:

For the lower section I could use longer MTB handles. Those are much
better than road bike stuff. Up top I may do something with leather once
this next tape is done. Maybe leather plus rope, not stitched but
wrapped around like with the golf clubs someone showed here.

I still think there would be a market for "Instant tape from a can".
Mask ... shake vigorously ... phhhhhhhhhhht ... done. Just like almost
everyone now uses Pam out of a spray can for greasing a skillet instead
of real grease.

Try a Google search for "spray on truck bed liner". Just mask off the bits
you don't want coated.

Ah, yes! Thanks. That stuff ought to be skin-safe or they couldn't sell
it, I guess.

Duly entered into my bike wiki for when the time comes to renew the tape
(or replace it with better stuff).

Old October 25th 16, 03:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Looks like it can be mail-ordered he

http://www.pocketrubber.com/

Thanks, Barry.

From what they write one could carry the remaining spool in the pannier
to use in case of first aid to an injured rider. I always have some
electrical tape in there but the glue on it fades in viability over the
course of summer.

Old October 25th 16, 04:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On 2016-10-24 17:47, Ralph Barone wrote:
Joerg wrote:

For the lower section I could use longer MTB handles. Those are much
better than road bike stuff. Up top I may do something with leather once
this next tape is done. Maybe leather plus rope, not stitched but
wrapped around like with the golf clubs someone showed here.

I still think there would be a market for "Instant tape from a can".
Mask ... shake vigorously ... phhhhhhhhhhht ... done. Just like almost
everyone now uses Pam out of a spray can for greasing a skillet instead
of real grease.

Try a Google search for "spray on truck bed liner". Just mask off the bits
you don't want coated.

Ah, yes! Thanks. That stuff ought to be skin-safe or they couldn't sell
it, I guess.

Duly entered into my bike wiki for when the time comes to renew the tape
(or replace it with better stuff).

You should get this. https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...9&category=831 It will scare the mountain lions.

-- Jay Beattie.

Handlebar Tape Ben C Techniques 15 July 11th 09 01:23 AM
Worn handlebar tape. elyob UK 6 May 6th 08 05:47 PM
Handlebar tape? B.B. Techniques 30 June 7th 05 08:25 PM
FS: NOS Benotto Handlebar Tape Kristan Roberge Marketplace 0 August 9th 04 06:01 AM
WTB Pink handlebar tape Morgan Fletcher Marketplace 1 May 24th 04 03:39 AM