Lance- Breaking Away actors weren't cyclists

Old February 28th 07, 06:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mike Jacoubowsky

Default Lance- Breaking Away actors weren't cyclists

On Conan last night, Lance briefly discussed his movie project, and in
passing, mentioned that you could tell the guys in the racing scenes in
Breaking Away weren't actors.

Sigh.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old February 28th 07, 06:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Feb 28, 1:02 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:
On Conan last night, Lance briefly discussed his movie project, and in
passing, mentioned that you could tell the guys in the racing scenes in
Breaking Away weren't actors.

Sigh.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycleswww.ChainReactionBicycles.com

I assume you mean were actors and weren't cyclists. While a shame,
it's not much of a surprise.

Old February 28th 07, 07:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Dan Connelly

KC wrote:

In stark contrast to "American Flyers" where they were neither cyclists,
NOR actors. ;^)
(but I still love that flick! Res firma mitescere nescit, dude!!!)

-KC

Les was awesome, though.

Dan
Old February 28th 07, 07:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
ilan

On Feb 28, 7:02 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:
On Conan last night, Lance briefly discussed his movie project, and in
passing, mentioned that you could tell the guys in the racing scenes in
Breaking Away weren't actors.

Sigh.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycleswww.ChainReactionBicycles.com

For once, the actors, 25 years later, are literally unrecognisable:
http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Danik

-ilan

Old February 28th 07, 08:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bret

On Feb 28, 11:14 am, KC wrote:
wrote:
On Feb 28, 1:02 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:
On Conan last night, Lance briefly discussed his movie project, and in
passing, mentioned that you could tell the guys in the racing scenes in
Breaking Away weren't actors.

Sigh.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycleswww.ChainReactionBicycles.com

I assume you mean were actors and weren't cyclists. While a shame,
it's not much of a surprise.

In stark contrast to "American Flyers" where they were neither cyclists,
NOR actors. ;^)
(but I still love that flick! Res firma mitescere nescit, dude!!!)

-KC

Not true. All of the extras and body doubles were local Colorado
racers. What's more, they all received credit for there roles and can
be searched up on IMDB.com

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088707/fullcredits#cast

A few of the names I recognize:
Brian Searchinger
Bob Grummel
Jeff Hartman
John Holcomb
Pat Zeller
Rod Yoder
Todd Kube
Tom Knox
Bruce Whitesel

Half of these guys are still active racers twenty two years later.

Eddy got a movie credit too. He counts as a cyclist if anyone does!

Bret

Old February 28th 07, 09:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
KC

Bret wrote:
On Feb 28, 11:14 am, KC wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Okay, apparently my humor is lost on you guys, but I was *trying* to
make a commentary on how BAD the acting was in that movie (Costner
included). The cycling extras didn't really need to *act*. :-) (and
yes I realize that the OP's post (and Lance's comment) was about the
*extras* in Breaking Away.

But as bad as the acting was, I bought the DVD and still get a kick out
of that flick when I watch it. :^)

Although I've always been a little bummed that they didn't show any of
the non-CO stages of the Coors Classic which I've been told "The Hell of
the West" was based upon... Trinity road (of recent ToC fame) was part
of the CC back in the day... a 13 year old me rode up it after watching
the pros on it the day before.

-KC
Old February 28th 07, 10:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Diablo Scott

KC wrote:

Although I've always been a little bummed that they didn't show any of
the non-CO stages of the Coors Classic which I've been told "The Hell of
the West" was based upon... Trinity road (of recent ToC fame) was part
of the CC back in the day... a 13 year old me rode up it after watching
the pros on it the day before.

-KC

American Flyers was released in 1985, the first year the Coors Classic
came to California so they couldn't have included any of the CA stages
in the movie because there were none at the time of filming. Besides,
three stages was enough of that.

I course marshaled the Coit Tower prologue and Fisherman's Wharf
criterium and they gave us tickets to an advanced showing at the Palace
of Fine Arts.

Yeah, the acting was atrocious, the storyline was sappy, and all the
main characters rode like arthritic primates. Rae Dawn was hot though.
Old February 28th 07, 10:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
WeaselPoopPower

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
On Conan last night, Lance briefly discussed his movie project, and in
passing, mentioned that you could tell the guys in the racing scenes in
Breaking Away weren't actors.

Sigh.

Many especially all team Cinzano(?) were Chicago area racers (4.5hrs
from Bloomington).

Eddy Van Guyse (currently announces the National Crit Champs every year
in Downers Grove among many other major races) Carlos Sintes , John Van
De Velde past Olympian and father of CSC rider Christian among other
Chicago area riders.

Breaking Away - Where are they now? John Everett General 14 February 25th 07 06:55 PM
Breaking Away Ewoud Dronkert Racing 2 July 1st 06 11:16 AM
Breaking Away B. Lafferty Racing 15 December 13th 05 03:41 AM
BREAKING NEWS!!!!! Lance tests positive for Mentor!!!!! Steady Rollin' Man Racing 0 July 15th 05 04:08 AM
Again with the breaking! PopeSamXVI Unicycling 12 June 11th 04 07:59 AM