More questions about winter triking

Old September 27th 05, 05:58 AM
Mark Leuck

Default More questions about winter triking

"Sunset Lowracer [TM] Fanatic" wrote in message
oups.com...

$kip wrote:
Actually I think those really cold days were the reason God invented

Saabs
with heated leather seats.

Strike 1: Since SAAB is an acronym for Svenska Aeroplan AB, it should
always be in capital letters. However, the company (the automotive
division is now part of General Motors Corporation) incorrectly uses
"Saab".

I should think since it is owned by GM they can call it what they want and
it would be correct

Strike 2: The new SAAB cars have the ignition switch on the steering
column, instead of on the console by the parking brake where it
belongs.

At one time most cars had it where Saab now puts it, I prefered it that way
in spite of the fact I don't care for Saab cars

Strike 3: There is no longer a SAAB dealership in Perrysville, Indiana
[1] (starting point of the Perrysville - Turkey Run - Perrysville
bicycle route, an excellent recumbent bicycle ride).

It's been gone for a number of years now, who could have predicted a
dealership selling an virtually unknown brand (in that area anyway) that
operated out of an old hardware store/bank in an obscure town of less than
300 off a main highway 63 in rual Indiana would fail? It boggles the mind

I don't know the route you took but less than a month ago I did a
Covington/Perrysville/Cayuga/Turkey Run/Vetersburg ride. That was after the
Covington/Attica/West Lafayette/Pine Village route, and the
Champaign/Danville/Perrysville route....it was a busy couple of weeks

(mom lives in Covington and used to live outside of Perrysville)

[1] Population ca. 500.
--
Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley

"Great Ford!
yawl smelling your clivus? pew!
a unique event
or transient actionable intelligence?
unclog!" - G. Daniels

Old September 27th 05, 07:25 AM
Sunset Lowracer [TM] Fanatic

Mark Leuck wrote:
"Sunset Lowracer [TM] Fanatic" wrote in message
oups.com...
Strike 3: There is no longer a SAAB dealership in Perrysville, Indiana
[1] (starting point of the Perrysville - Turkey Run - Perrysville
bicycle route, an excellent recumbent bicycle ride).

It's been gone for a number of years now, who could have predicted a
dealership selling an virtually unknown brand (in that area anyway) that
operated out of an old hardware store/bank in an obscure town of less than
300 off a main highway 63 in rual Indiana would fail? It boggles the mind[.]

That is what was so cool about it - a SAAB dealership in a town with
only one 4-way stop intersection! However, Perrysville is much bigger
than Mark Leuck states; the 2000 US Census indicated the population was
five hundred two (502).

I don't know the route you took but less than a month ago I did a
Covington/Perrysville/Cayuga/Turkey Run/Vetersburg ride. That was after the
Covington/Attica/West Lafayette/Pine Village route, and the
Champaign/Danville/Perrysville route....it was a busy couple of weeks[.]

[WARNING: RECUMBENT BICYCLE CONTENT]
Heading east out of Perrysville on Indiana Route 32, there is an
elevation change from approximately 490 feet MSL at the intersection
with Towpath/Silver Island Road to 670 feet MSL at the intersection
with River Road, and about 145 feet of that elevation change occurs
over the first quarter mile. The grade is steep enough that I had some
front wheel hop heading east on my RANS Rocket, and I obtained a
maximum speed of almost 50 mph returning westward.

Old September 27th 05, 09:51 AM
Mark Leuck

Mark Leuck wrote:
"Sunset Lowracer [TM] Fanatic" wrote in message
oups.com...
Strike 3: There is no longer a SAAB dealership in Perrysville, Indiana
[1] (starting point of the Perrysville - Turkey Run - Perrysville
bicycle route, an excellent recumbent bicycle ride).

It's been gone for a number of years now, who could have predicted a
dealership selling an virtually unknown brand (in that area anyway) that
operated out of an old hardware store/bank in an obscure town of less

than
300 off a main highway 63 in rual Indiana would fail? It boggles the

mind[.]

That is what was so cool about it - a SAAB dealership in a town with
only one 4-way stop intersection! However, Perrysville is much bigger
than Mark Leuck states; the 2000 US Census indicated the population was
five hundred two (502).

Trust me on this, it's gone downhill in the past few years, not that it was
ever that great to begin with although my mom, who works right across the
street from that old dealership says otherwise

BTW: A trip to that general area isn't complete unless you stop by The Beef
House

I don't know the route you took but less than a month ago I did a
Covington/Perrysville/Cayuga/Turkey Run/Vetersburg ride. That was after

the
Covington/Attica/West Lafayette/Pine Village route, and the
Champaign/Danville/Perrysville route....it was a busy couple of weeks[.]

[WARNING: RECUMBENT BICYCLE CONTENT]
Heading east out of Perrysville on Indiana Route 32, there is an
elevation change from approximately 490 feet MSL at the intersection
with Towpath/Silver Island Road to 670 feet MSL at the intersection
with River Road, and about 145 feet of that elevation change occurs
over the first quarter mile. The grade is steep enough that I had some
front wheel hop heading east on my RANS Rocket, and I obtained a
maximum speed of almost 50 mph returning westward.

Not quite the same route I took but still a good one

Old September 27th 05, 03:56 PM
gotbent

Default More questions about winter triking AND GM

I should think since it is owned by GM they can call it what they want and
it would be correct

I saw an ad in the local paper this weekend for a G.M. Buick "TERRAZA". At
least the marketing whores at GM didn't steal Pat Franz's hyphen too.

Old September 28th 05, 12:23 AM
Sunset Lowracer [TM] Fanatic

Mike Rice wrote:
On 26 Sep 2005 20:37:58 -0700, "Sunset Lowracer [TM] Fanatic"
wrote:

... Perrysville, Indiana
[1] (starting point of the Perrysville - Turkey Run - Perrysville
bicycle route, an excellent recumbent bicycle ride).

[1] Population ca. 500.

Any link for the details of this route?

No. However, I will post the directions from an old cue sheet below. Be
aware that some landmarks may have changed (if I recall correctly, the
gray house was repainted blue).

Ride Route: Perrysville - Turkey Run - Perrysville - Out and Back

Start: Ball Park Parking Lot - Approximately 1/4 mile South of the
4-way stop in Perrysville
Exit parking lot to the North
Right turn (East) on State Hwy. 32
Right turn (South) at T-intersection onto 600W (Stringtown Rd.)
Left Turn (East) onto 840S
Right Turn (South) at T-intersection onto 400W
Enter town of Cates, Left turn (East) before gray house onto 900S
Right turn (South) at T-intersection onto 280W (Kinaman Rd.)
Left turn (East) at T-intersection onto 1000S
Right turn (South) onto 70W (Kingman Road)
Right turn (West) at stop sign in Kingman onto State St. (State Hwy.
234)
- Rest Stop at former Dairy Queen (now ???)
Follow State Hwy. 234 to 280W (Tangiers Road)
Left turn (South) onto 280W (Tangiers Road)
Road changes to 375W at South County Line Road
Right turn (West) onto 1200N
Left turn (South) onto 400W
Left turn (East) at T-intersection in Tangiers onto 1050N
Right turn (South) onto US Hwy. 41 at T-intersection
Left turn (East) onto State Hwy. 47
- Rest Stop at convenience store on State Hwy. 47 - Rest stop and
turn around point
Or continue to Turkey Run State Park Entrance and turn around (optional
- approximately 1 extra mile)

Take State Hwy. 47 (West) to US Hwy. 41
Right turn (North) onto US Hwy. 41
Left turn (West) onto 1050N
Right turn (North) onto 400W at Tangiers
Right turn (East) onto 1200N
Left turn (North) onto 375W
Road changes to 280W at South County Line Road
Right Turn (NorthEast) onto State Hwy. 234
Left Turn (North) onto Second St. (70W) - Rest Stop at Dairy Queen
North on Second St. (70W) to 1000S
Left turn (West) onto 1000S
Right turn (North) onto 280W (Kinaman Rd.)
Left turn (West) onto 900S - Follow to Cates
Right turn (North) in Cates onto 400W
Left Turn (West) onto 840S
Right turn (North) onto 600W (Stringtown Rd.)
Left turn (West) on State Hwy. 32
Left turn (South) at 4-way Stop in Perrysville
Finish: Ball Park Parking Lot - Approximately 1/4 mile South of the
4-way stop in Perrysville

Old September 28th 05, 12:34 AM
Sunset Lowracer [TM] Fanatic

Mark Leuck wrote:
Trust me on this, it's [Perrysville, Indiana] gone downhill in the past few years, not that it was
ever that great to begin with although my mom, who works right across the
street from that old dealership says otherwise[.]

BTW: A trip to that general area isn't complete unless you stop by The Beef
House[.]

I stopped at the Beef House [1] on the way back from looking at
Greenspeed trikes at Valley Bikes [2].

[1]
http://chefmoz.org/United_States/IN/Covington/Beef_House1056929565.html.
[2] Back when Dave Doty [3] was the proprietor and the store was
located in Crawfordsville, Indiana.
[3] Best known in recumbent circles for "blowing out" the last 195 new
Trek R200's at $600/each.

Old September 28th 05, 02:26 AM
Mark Leuck

"Mike Rice" wrote in message

wrote:

... Perrysville, Indiana
[1] (starting point of the Perrysville - Turkey Run - Perrysville
bicycle route, an excellent recumbent bicycle ride).

[1] Population ca. 500.

Any link for the details of this route?

No. However, I will post the directions from an old cue sheet below. Be
aware that some landmarks may have changed (if I recall correctly, the
gray house was repainted blue).

Ride Route: Perrysville - Turkey Run - Perrysville - Out and Back

directions snipped

Thanks for the info. What's the distance? Turkey run is a pretty good
ride (for me) and this (reversed) sounds like a nice trip from there.

Indiana Mike

From Perrysville it's about 25-30 miles depending on the route although I
would avoid riding US 41 at all cost

Old September 28th 05, 03:36 AM
Sunset Lowracer [TM] Fanatic

Mark Leuck wrote:
"Mike Rice" wrote in message
Ride Route: Perrysville - Turkey Run - Perrysville - Out and Back

directions snipped

Thanks for the info. What's the distance? Turkey run is a pretty good
ride (for me) and this (reversed) sounds like a nice trip from there.

Indiana Mike

From Perrysville it's about 25-30 miles depending on the route although I
would avoid riding US 41 at all cost[.]

It is about 28 miles each way, with two significant climbs in each
direction. US 41 has a paved shoulder on this part of the route and has
had relatively light traffic the times I have ridden there. However, I
have not done the ride during the tourist season.

Taking a fresh can of Halt [1] would not be a bad idea, since there is
usually more trouble with dogs than traffic.

[1] http://www.halt.com/halt.html.

--
Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley

Old September 28th 05, 04:53 AM

skip wrote:
"Jeff Grippe" wrote in message

I ride a GRR with a super zzipper fairing. I don't much like the fairing
when it gets really cold. When the fairing is properly installed on the GRR
(according to the manufacturer) it will direct the all of the air that would
be distributed to your legs, arms, and torso to the bridge of your nose,
your eyes, your forehead and the top of your head. I get a headache in the
first few miles with that set up, so I most often ride naked (that's
recumbent speak for riding without a fairing) on those really cold days.

The cold head is why I wear a balacalva and ski goggles. Turns the
fairing from being a negative addition to a positive addition.

Enjoy,

Perry B