Now we know what cycle lanes are for

Old June 8th 05, 09:26 AM
David Hansen

Default Now we know what cycle lanes are for

According to http://news.scotsman.com/archive.cfm?id=620672005

Spokes member Ian Maxwell said the group had had more complaints
about parking near the ERI than anywhere else in the city.

He said that parking in cycling lanes was "dangerous" and
"completely destroys" their aim of stopping cyclists getting
in the way of vehicles.

Note the clever use of quotation marks. I suspect that Ian said
something very different.

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.
Old June 8th 05, 09:54 AM
Graeme

David Hansen wrote in
:

Note the clever use of quotation marks. I suspect that Ian said
something very different.

Never! Not the Scotsman we all know and love, twist somebody's words so
they say something completely different? That's not the fine upstanding
journalism we've come to expect from... oh hang on, as you were remembers
numerous incidences of misrepresentaion
Old June 8th 05, 02:26 PM
stupot

Graeme wrote:
David Hansen wrote in
:
Note the clever use of quotation marks. I suspect that Ian said
something very different.

Never! Not the Scotsman we all know and love, twist somebody's words so
they say something completely different? That's not the fine upstanding
journalism we've come to expect from... oh hang on, as you were remembers
numerous incidences of misrepresentaion

The Scotsman (and their wierd owners) just lurve cars. Are there figures for
what % of their advertising revenue is from cars and planes? - dont bite the
hand that feeds you.
Old June 9th 05, 12:42 PM
stupot

David Hansen wrote:
According to http://news.scotsman.com/archive.cfm?id=620672005

Same article in the Herald and Post this week.
Old June 22nd 05, 06:04 AM
ian henden

"stupot" wrote in message
David Hansen wrote:
According to http://news.scotsman.com/archive.cfm?id=620672005

Same article in the Herald and Post this week.

So these cars are, apparently, parking perfectly legally with the Orders
currently in force for that road (which is, apparently, none).

Not a lot different, then, to cyclists legally using the road when a cycle
path is provided?

Both cases are legal, but demonstrate a lack of consideration for others.

--
IanH

Old June 22nd 05, 07:34 AM
Zog The Undeniable

ian henden wrote:

So these cars are, apparently, parking perfectly legally with the Orders
currently in force for that road (which is, apparently, none).

Not a lot different, then, to cyclists legally using the road when a cycle
path is provided?

Both cases are legal, but demonstrate a lack of consideration for others.

A lack of consideration by the local council for cyclists' safety,
probably. We don't ask for the bloody things.
Old June 22nd 05, 08:08 AM
Tony W

"ian henden" wrote in message

Not a lot different, then, to cyclists legally using the road when a cycle
path is provided?

Both cases are legal, but demonstrate a lack of consideration for others.

Since travelling anywhere using cycle paths is normally the equivalent of
driving from London to Manchester using only B roads I will continue to show
what you describe as a lack of consideration for others.

Old June 22nd 05, 01:22 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 05:04:42 GMT, "ian henden"
wrote:

[snip tale of typical PFI ripoff]

So these cars are, apparently, parking perfectly legally with the Orders
currently in force for that road (which is, apparently, none).

You think? That depends if they are mandatory or advisory cycle
lanes, I'd suggest. And whether the parked cars are causing an
obstruction. I'd be faintly surprised if it were "perfectly" legal,
but ICBW.

Not a lot different, then, to cyclists legally using the road when a cycle
path is provided?

LOL! Keep beating, there is still a bloody smear where that dead
horse was.

Both cases are legal, but demonstrate a lack of consideration for others.

Interestingly, though, the selfishness of the parked drivers allegedly
increases risk to others at no cost to themselves, whereas the
"selfishness" of cyclists appears to reduce risk to themselves and
impose no danger to others. So perhaps not quite as similar as you
make out.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at CHS, Puget Sound
Old June 22nd 05, 01:28 PM
Jeremy Parker

"ian henden" wrote

Not a lot different, then, to cyclists legally using the road when

a cycle
path is provided?

Both cases are legal, but demonstrate a lack of consideration for

others.

It's a principle of mine to turn any problem created for cyclists
into a problem for motorists instead. Such things get more
attention, even though actually, when I am driving my car, they don't
cause me much real difficulty.

Given that bike paths are almost always something done to me, not
something done for me, designed by idiots, for idiots, I have not
only a right, but a duty not to accept them - if we accept them,
people will think that they are acceptable.

Nearly fifty years ago Professor Sir Colin Buchanan, one of Britain's
greatest ever town planners and traffic engineers, wrote, in his
book "Mixed Blessing, The Motor in Britain"
"The meagre efforts to separate cyclists from motor traffic have
failed, tracks are inadequate, the problem of treating them at
junctions and intersections is completely unsolved, and the attitude
of cyclists themselves to these admittedly unsatisfactory tracks has
not been as helpful as it might have been."

Nothing changes, and I, at least, intend to maintain that tradition
of unhelpfulness

Jeremy Parker

Old June 22nd 05, 01:45 PM
dkahn400

Tony W wrote:

Since travelling anywhere using cycle paths is normally the equivalent
of driving from London to Manchester using only B roads I will
continue to show what you describe as a lack of consideration for
others.

That comparison flatters cycle paths. Driving on B roads may not be the
quickest or most direct route in many cases, but it can be very
pleasant.

--
Dave...

Cycle lanes on roundabouts Tim Woodall UK 70 April 23rd 05 09:53 AM
South West trains doesn't want cyclists as 'customers'... Howard UK 363 July 20th 04 11:42 PM
ASLs and cycle lanes John Hearns UK 31 July 20th 04 10:38 AM
Cycle lanes under London Nick King UK 22 July 14th 04 07:14 AM
Cycle Lanes (Times Letters Page) Steve Peake UK 29 July 3rd 04 01:06 PM