Kids-size touring bike

Old November 4th 04, 02:09 AM
saki

Default Kids-size touring bike

My ten year old son has really gotten into cycling since the Tour de France
and is convinced he wants to be a Lance when he grows up. At the moment
he's determined to earn enough money for a smaller version of a touring
bike.

He likes this Trek:

http://www.trekbikes.com/bikes/2005/...mx/kdr1000.jsp

but it's a bit out of my (and his) price range and is probably too much
bike for him at this stage. Are there any *much* less expensive multi-speed
bikes for someone his age that also have drop handlebars? Clipless pedals
are not necessary.

He'd like to go road riding with me and I'd like him to get the feel of a
touring configuration so we can do brief training rides.

Any suggestions?

----

Old November 4th 04, 05:55 AM
Jeff Starr

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 01:09:35 +0000 (UTC), saki wrote:

My ten year old son has really gotten into cycling since the Tour de France
and is convinced he wants to be a Lance when he grows up. At the moment
he's determined to earn enough money for a smaller version of a touring
bike.

He likes this Trek:

http://www.trekbikes.com/bikes/2005/...mx/kdr1000.jsp

but it's a bit out of my (and his) price range and is probably too much
bike for him at this stage. Are there any *much* less expensive multi-speed
bikes for someone his age that also have drop handlebars? Clipless pedals
are not necessary.

He'd like to go road riding with me and I'd like him to get the feel of a
touring configuration so we can do brief training rides.

Any suggestions?

----

Hi, here is another option, although similarly priced. He'll probably
like the Trek's paint job better.
http://www.feltracing.com/2005_bikes/2005_f24.html

Life is Good!
Jeff
Old November 4th 04, 08:32 PM
saki

Jeff Starr wrote in
:

Hi, here is another option, although similarly priced. He'll probably
like the Trek's paint job better.
http://www.feltracing.com/2005_bikes/2005_f24.html

I suspect you're right. Thanks for the link!

I still have to find him a bike we can afford. $600+ is great but not when
he'll outgrow the bike in four or five years, or less.

Someone suggested that very small-frame bikes, perhaps even women's bikes
(with top tube) might fit his proportions for now. I'll give that a try as
well.

----

Old November 7th 04, 05:40 AM
Frank Knox

"saki" wrote in message
Jeff Starr wrote in
:

Hi, here is another option, although similarly priced. He'll probably
like the Trek's paint job better.
http://www.feltracing.com/2005_bikes/2005_f24.html

I suspect you're right. Thanks for the link!

I still have to find him a bike we can afford. $600+ is great but not when
he'll outgrow the bike in four or five years, or less.

Someone suggested that very small-frame bikes, perhaps even women's bikes
(with top tube) might fit his proportions for now. I'll give that a try as
well.

----

I bought the Felt for my 7 year old, planning on having her use it for 4-5
years. It's a little large now, so I have a short stem installed backwards.
It's a compact frame so will last longer than most adults seem to keep bikes
these days.
I too was a bit reluctant at first to spend that much on a child's bike.
Here's the rationalization I used: My daughter is as important a part of my
family as me or my wife so if I can have a nice road bike she should also.
We share what expendable income we have.

Here's another option:
http://www.wolfenet.org/gallery/Bikes?page=5
http://www.wolfenet.org/gallery/Bikes?page=1