Armstrong bailing on '05 TdF to take Hour Record?

Old November 6th 04, 04:20 PM
Blair P. Houghton

Default Armstrong bailing on '05 TdF to take Hour Record?

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...g_armstrong_dc

--Blair
"Tell me he said *that* in June."

P.S. You think they could find a way to televise Lance
Armstrong riding in a circle for an hour? I think they
could find a way to use 20 hours of commercial time to
promote it.

P.P.S. He should do it on Eddy's bike, in a hairnet.
Old November 6th 04, 04:37 PM
MelloBoy

Blair P. Houghton Wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/5et9y

--Blair
"Tell me he said *that* in June."

P.S. You think they could find a way to televise Lance
Armstrong riding in a circle for an hour? I think they
could find a way to use 20 hours of commercial time to
promote it.

P.P.S. He should do it on Eddy's bike, in a hairnet.

Trek's subsidiary, Trek Travel indicates the contrary (read first
paragraph)
http://www.trektravel.com/Trips/05_S...F/Overview.php
seeing how this is a sue happy country nowadays, saying that he'll race
and him bailing (aside from disease/injury/emergency) would be grounds
for a lawsuit from a disgruntled customer who goes for the sole purpose
of seeing Lance race and being told "oh he decided to focus on other
things. also, seeing that Trek sponsors Lance, I would think they
might know more than Yahoo news or what not. just my 2 cents

melloboy

--
MelloBoy

Old November 6th 04, 04:52 PM
B i l l S o r n s o n

Blair P. Houghton wrote:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...g_armstrong_dc

--Blair
"Tell me he said *that* in June."

Actually, he did.

Bill "fresh off the podium, actually" S.

Old November 6th 04, 06:43 PM
Neil Cherry

On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 16:20:47 GMT, Blair P Houghton wrote:
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...g_armstrong_dc

--Blair
"Tell me he said *that* in June."

I was almost willing to give you a break on that one but you had to
post the last part. Actually I know for a fact that he was saying in
July when the press were hounding him to see if he would ride for a
7th tour win. His response was he may do the something else and come
back a year later.

--
Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/ (Text only)
Old November 6th 04, 07:45 PM
Pete

"Neil Cherry" wrote in message
On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 16:20:47 GMT, Blair P Houghton wrote:
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...g_armstrong_dc

--Blair
"Tell me he said *that* in June."

I was almost willing to give you a break on that one but you had to
post the last part. Actually I know for a fact that he was saying in
July when the press were hounding him to see if he would ride for a
7th tour win. His response was he may do the something else and come
back a year later.

At the start of the Tour, a Discovery Channel rep brought out their jerseys
for next year.
[rep]"This is what Lance will be wearing for win #7!"
[Lance, w/ forced smile] "Uh, let's get through #6 first"

Pete

Old November 6th 04, 11:15 PM
Blair P. Houghton

Neil Cherry wrote:
On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 16:20:47 GMT, Blair P Houghton wrote:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...g_armstrong_dc
"Tell me he said *that* in June."

I was almost willing to give you a break on that one but you had to
post the last part. Actually I know for a fact that he was saying in
July when the press were hounding him to see if he would ride for a
7th tour win. His response was he may do the something else and come
back a year later.

I'd bet he's said that every year since #1. It's got to
make the competition complacent.

--Blair
"This could be a sucker play, too."
Old November 7th 04, 12:45 AM
Blair P. Houghton

MelloBoy wrote:
Blair P. Houghton Wrote:
P.P.S. He should do it on Eddy's bike, in a hairnet.

Trek's subsidiary, Trek Travel indicates the contrary (read first
paragraph)
http://www.trektravel.com/Trips/05_S...F/Overview.php

They're the ones jumping the gun.

At this point Lance's contract almost certainly says things
like "Mr. Armstrong has sole discretion as to when and
where he will appear" and the Trek suits just drool and nod.

And don't forget how Eddy screwed Colnago when he set
his hour record.

--Blair
"Nice picture of a sea of polycarbonate
easter eggs, though..."
Old November 7th 04, 01:35 AM
MelloBoy

Blair P. Houghton Wrote:

They're the ones jumping the gun.

At this point Lance's contract almost certainly says things
like "Mr. Armstrong has sole discretion as to when and
where he will appear" and the Trek suits just drool and nod.

normally i'd agree with you, but with the potential for lawsuits if
lance doesn't race, unless there were some sort of solid comment from
lance, it would be a HUGE gamble for Trek Travel. I mean, you're
dealing with a company in a country where people have sued and won
millions for the following:
-spilling hot coffee on their lap'
-getting into a car accident because someone thought "Autopilot" on an
RV meant he could walk away from the driver's seat and just chill in
the back
etc

melloboy

--
MelloBoy

Old November 7th 04, 02:49 AM
Gooserider

"Blair P. Houghton" wrote in message

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...g_armstrong_dc

--Blair
"Tell me he said *that* in June."

Giro, Giro, Giro. He needs to win another classic to prove he's not just a
one race cyclist. The last guy to win the Giro and Tour was Pantani, and you
know that has to eat at Lance.

Old November 7th 04, 05:04 AM
Blair P. Houghton

MelloBoy wrote:
Blair P. Houghton Wrote:
At this point Lance's contract almost certainly says things
like "Mr. Armstrong has sole discretion as to when and
where he will appear" and the Trek suits just drool and nod.

normally i'd agree with you, but with the potential for lawsuits if
lance doesn't race, unless there were some sort of solid comment from
lance, it would be a HUGE gamble for Trek Travel.

It's possible they'll sue, but in the presence of a
contract, the exact nature of the relationship is defined
under the law, and Lance almost certainly knows whether
he's okay bailing on the TdF or not. They won't be able
to sue if he's got the right to bail, even if they go out
of business over it. Speaking of which, what the hell is
Trek doing in the travel business?

I mean, you're
dealing with a company in a country where people have sued and won
millions for the following:
-spilling hot coffee on their lap'
-getting into a car accident because someone thought "Autopilot" on an
RV meant he could walk away from the driver's seat and just chill in
the back
etc

Consumer injury lawsuits are over torts rather than
contracts, and usually involve situations nobody sued
for before, so any lawyer will jump at the chance to
participate in a precedent.

And of course the more absurd the situation, the less the
public thinks of the pain and the negligence that caused it.

The fact is, McDonald's was serving coffee that was way too
hot in containers that didn't provide a margin for safety
for people buying through the drive-thru window. The guy
with the RV? Stupid, but not unimaginably stupid; someone
forgot to train him, and the word "autopilot" does not mean
the same thing as "cruise control." It's too bad the auto
industry doesn't have the same design validation rules as
the aerospace industry, but hey, politicians are for sale,
so that sort of thing happens.

--Blair
"Ob. bikie: Tullio Campagnolo
invented the quick-release skewer."

Emma Speaks B. Lafferty Racing 26 June 15th 04 02:25 PM
Lance sets hour speed record OnThaBeach Racing 11 October 22nd 03 04:45 PM
New UK women's Hour = new IHPVA World record? Jeff Potter Recumbent Biking 4 October 20th 03 08:20 PM
Could Lance break the "athlete's hour" record? Boyd Speerschneider Racing 9 July 23rd 03 05:39 AM