Interesting commute this morning

Old May 3rd 07, 11:57 PM posted to aus.bicycle
BT Humble

Default Interesting commute this morning

First of all I overtook a bloke on a recumbent, who appeared to be
clean-shaven!

(It turned out that he just had a small neatly-trimmed goatee, so I
assume he's on the Recumbent Police's "Watch List".)

Then, the highlight of my week: I overtook a roadie in full TDF
regalia! :-D

I managed to hold my lead all the way up and down the hill on Athllon
drive (~4km), but then the cheeky bugger overtook me by blowing
through a red light.

I realise that he was probably at the tail end of his 100km before
breakfast, but let me have my moment, OK?!

BTH

Old May 4th 07, 12:26 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Duncan

On May 4, 8:57 am, BT Humble wrote:
First of all I overtook a bloke on a recumbent, who appeared to be
clean-shaven!

(It turned out that he just had a small neatly-trimmed goatee, so I
assume he's on the Recumbent Police's "Watch List".)

Then, the highlight of my week: I overtook a roadie in full TDF
regalia! :-D

I managed to hold my lead all the way up and down the hill on Athllon
drive (~4km), but then the cheeky bugger overtook me by blowing
through a red light.

I realise that he was probably at the tail end of his 100km before
breakfast, but let me have my moment, OK?!

You didn't regale him with "red light, DICKHEAD!" ?

Old May 4th 07, 12:27 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Bean Long

BT Humble wrote:
First of all I overtook a bloke on a recumbent, who appeared to be
clean-shaven!

(It turned out that he just had a small neatly-trimmed goatee, so I
assume he's on the Recumbent Police's "Watch List".)

Then, the highlight of my week: I overtook a roadie in full TDF
regalia! :-D

I managed to hold my lead all the way up and down the hill on Athllon
drive (~4km), but then the cheeky bugger overtook me by blowing
through a red light.

I realise that he was probably at the tail end of his 100km before
breakfast, but let me have my moment, OK?!

BTH

Wasn't me this time BT... I was doing my BR around the northside at 6:00
am! AND... I NEVER blow red lights!!
:-)

--
Bean

Remove "yourfinger" before replying
Old May 4th 07, 01:20 AM posted to aus.bicycle
BT Humble

Duncan wrote:
On May 4, 8:57 am,BTHumble wrote:
I managed to hold my lead all the way up and down the hill on Athllon
drive (~4km), but then the cheeky bugger overtook me by blowing
through a red light.

I realise that he was probably at the tail end of his 100km before
breakfast, but let me have my moment, OK?!

You didn't regale him with "red light, DICKHEAD!" ?

I was having a little problem with my breathing at the time... ;-)

BTH

Old May 4th 07, 01:21 AM posted to aus.bicycle
BT Humble

Bean Long wrote:
Wasn't me this timeBT... I was doing my BR around the northside at 6:00
am! AND... I NEVER blow red lights!!
:-)

Fair enough, I'll *say* I believe you! ;-)

Now, about those panniers...

BTH

Old May 4th 07, 02:57 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Bean Long

BT Humble wrote:
Bean Long wrote:
Wasn't me this timeBT... I was doing my BR around the northside at 6:00
am! AND... I NEVER blow red lights!!
:-)

Fair enough, I'll *say* I believe you! ;-)

Now, about those panniers...

BTH

Ooh... yeah. Kids have distracted me the last few days. I know they
are red Tioga panniers with fluorescent yellow covers (that zip away
into side panels. IIRC they also have hard-wearing waterproof bases. I
may need to get them out of the cupboard and get all the details down
clearly. I bought them from Onya in Tuggers about 2 years ago but only
used them for a few months. I have the rack too, although can't
remember if that's what's now holding up the baby seat on my clunker.
Will try to remember and get back to you.

As for those lights along Athllon, I was heading south on the way home
last week and some dopey roadie (who had run every light from Woden
after I had stopped) tried to come through at Beasley as all four
directions had the red light. A car turning south into Athllon from
Torrens anticipated the green arrow and headed off as the roadie came
through. Anchors came on and roadie **** himself. I screamed at the
roadie "have you got a death wish mate". No reply, but the commuter on
the MTB coming up behind me with his MP3 stuck in his ears just waltzed
on through IN FRONT of said car without even noticing what had happened!
Needless to say I waited another 30 seconds for the lights to turn
green and had caught up to both riders by the time I had made it to the
top of the hill! Great bit of advertising for good road skills!

Old May 4th 07, 04:32 AM posted to aus.bicycle
BT Humble

Bean Long wrote:
... but the commuter on
the MTB coming up behind me with his MP3 stuck in his ears just waltzed
on through IN FRONT of said car without even noticing what had happened!

This will probably start yet another holy war on the topic, but I
still think that taking one of your primary senses out of the job at
hand by swanning along in a little iPod bubble is a bad idea.

BTH

Old May 4th 07, 05:02 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Bean Long

BT Humble wrote:
Bean Long wrote:
... but the commuter on
the MTB coming up behind me with his MP3 stuck in his ears just waltzed
on through IN FRONT of said car without even noticing what had happened!

This will probably start yet another holy war on the topic, but I
still think that taking one of your primary senses out of the job at
hand by swanning along in a little iPod bubble is a bad idea.

BTH

I have to agree and yes, this has been a hot topic here before. I
personally find it hard to ride with earphones in. Firstly I can't hear
what I'm trying to listen to anyway, secondly I can't hear my bike and
third (and perhaps most importantly) I can't hear traffic including
other riders.

I was marshalling the ANU crit a few weekends ago and had to drag a
commuter cyclist from the course after he stopped to investigate the
damage after his earphones dropped from his ears and were torn apart in
his front wheel! He hadn't even noticed there was a race on despite the
fact that EVERY entrance to the course was marked with signs and/or
marshals. It seemed his brain was occupied with music.

Hahahaha... poor *******!

Dang them youngen's these days... when I was young...

Old May 4th 07, 05:24 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Theo Bekkers

BT Humble wrote:

This will probably start yet another holy war on the topic, but I
still think that taking one of your primary senses out of the job at
hand by swanning along in a little iPod bubble is a bad idea.

What about wearing earplugs on the motorbike? Or a helmet that covers your
ears, and limits your peripheral vision as well as making it harder to turn
your head?

Theo

Old May 4th 07, 05:27 AM posted to aus.bicycle
DeF

Bean Long wrote:
BT Humble wrote:
Bean Long wrote:
[...]

I agree with the above - I find it hard to hear the radio/music and
un-nerving to not be able to hear the rest of the world.

ATTA have recently banned the wearing of headphones during there TTs.
I think it's also banned at the masters club I race with.

DeF.

--
e-mail: d.farrow@your finger.murdoch.edu.au
To reply, you'll have to remove your finger.

Favourite Commute (Morning or Evening?) Duncan Smith UK 18 March 11th 07 09:01 PM
Beautiful morning commute David Martin UK 2 February 2nd 07 08:11 AM
Morning Commute Geoff S General 37 July 10th 06 10:03 PM
AWESOME commute this morning! Tamyka Bell Australia 28 April 21st 05 10:45 AM
Interesting one this morning... Simonb UK 7 June 3rd 04 03:29 PM