105 and Ultegra

Old May 4th 07, 08:03 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Dropbear[_2_]

Default 105 and Ultegra

Could someone please advise me whether Shimano 105 and Ultegra rear
deraillers are interchangeable? They look pretty much the same and If I
can pick an Ultegra unit up from eBay for around a third the price of
retail and it fits I would be happy.

Old May 4th 07, 09:17 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Joel Mayes

On 2007-05-04, Dropbear wrote:
Could someone please advise me whether Shimano 105 and Ultegra rear
deraillers are interchangeable? They look pretty much the same and If I
can pick an Ultegra unit up from eBay for around a third the price of
retail and it fits I would be happy.

Interchamging these parns shouldn't be a problem.

Cheers

Joel

--
Human Powered Cycles | High quality servicing
www.humanpowered.com.au | Bicycle re-use centre
Old May 4th 07, 09:46 AM posted to aus.bicycle
gplama[_92_]

Dropbear Wrote:
If I can pick an Ultegra unit up from eBay for around a third the price
of retail and it fits I would be happy.

kind of related rant

IMO (ONLY) RRP of Shimano components here in Australia promotes people
importing from OS. As an example, here are the numbers on my recent
upgrade to Dura Ace drive chain.

Cranks:
In AU $536-550
OS for $347

Cassette:
In AU $254-333
OS for $150

Chain:
In AU $70
OS for $32

Totals:
AU: $860-$953
OS: $529 (lets say $31 for shipping) Total AU$560

$300 difference, minimum. The neat-o prices were all from the one
online dealer, so that was a win! So this is nothing new to the
Interweeb purchasing ninjas that we've all become - but that difference
raises a few questions about the cost vs value. I'd take a stab at the
demand is low enough here in AU that Shimano can justify their
pricing... that, and I'm thinking their main cash-cow is feeding OEM
group sets for whole bikes?

Anyways - I won't post my price sources in public, advertising is
something I charge for. (email or pm me though)

lama
(running Ultegra mixed with Dura Ace)

--
gplama

Old May 4th 07, 10:41 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Dropbear[_2_]

gplama wrote:
Dropbear Wrote:
[...]

Please provide your email address as I would like to source cheap parts
from OS. I really need a 105 /ultegra rear derailer to repair my bike
that was damaged in the accident and I really cant see myself paying
retail. Thx

Remove the obvious before replying.
Old May 5th 07, 12:10 AM posted to aus.bicycle
SomeGuy[_45_]

Dropbear Wrote:
gplama wrote:
Dropbear Wrote:
[...]

www.probikekit.com
www.chainreactioncycles.com

Just don't tell anyone in the industry where you got it from, it's like
a red flag to a bull.

--
SomeGuy

Old May 5th 07, 03:38 AM posted to aus.bicycle
DavidM

"Dropbear" wrote in message

Please provide your email address as I would like to source cheap parts
from OS. I really need a 105 /ultegra rear derailer to repair my bike that
was damaged in the accident and I really cant see myself paying retail.
Thx

Given that you sound unitiated, I'd try www.probikekit.com. The prices are
cheap, delivery takes less than a week, if there's a mistake in the order
they fix it apparently, and they do cheap flat-rate shipping to Australia
whereas many of the others calculate shipping per-order and it gets pretty
pricey. And their website has a function where you can change the display
currency to $AUD.

Be aware that there are a couple of different rear derailleur sizes though
with different truss lengths to suit different cassette size ranges, though
it's pretty self explanatory and I'm sure people here will help you with
your choice!

Cheers
David M

Old May 6th 07, 06:01 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Dropbear[_2_]

DavidM wrote:
"Dropbear" wrote in message

[...]

Thanx a lot guys for the advice your advice is much appreciated for
those like me on a strict budget.
Grrrr....freakin mortgage.
Old May 6th 07, 07:34 AM posted to aus.bicycle
jcjordan[_12_]

DavidM Wrote:
"Dropbear" wrote in message

[...]

I have used probike at least a dozen time and have only ever one had a
problem with a order. One item was left out of the order and when i
contacted them they did not even bat an eyelid, they offered credit or
to just send the product on ASAP for no charge. I just asked them to
add it to the next order and sure enough no problems. The only time I
have ever had a order take more then 3-4 days to turn up is when AQIS
got hold of it, put 3 days of delay. I have even had orders show up
before the charge on my credit card has been applied.

Most of the shops are aware that people order from O/S and are well
aware that they can not compete with the prices due to the on cost put
up by the distributors. That is where the problem lies, I think that
most are way over charging the shops who then have to put on their
markup and the result is products that are to costly to sell.

--
jcjordan

Old May 6th 07, 08:55 AM posted to aus.bicycle
rooman[_119_]

jcjordan Wrote:
snip about pbk...

Most of the shops are aware that people order from O/S and are well
aware that they can not compete with the prices due to the on cost put
up by the distributors. That is where the problem lies, I think that
most are way over charging the shops who then have to put on their
markup and the result is products that are to costly to sell.

the distributors sock it hard to the LBS's, a couple of LBS owners were
in Taiwan at the big bike show last year unknown to the Aus Distributors
who were horrified to see these guys ( and gals ) there... the owners
learnt first hand for every component in stock in their shops, one or
two factories make 15 brands and all their wholesalers were at the show
discounting to the foreign distributors to get the business and
competitive "real prices" revealed.

The mark up here is horrendous, the word "superprofits" has been used
on some items.

sad thing is the LBS's are stuck with the suppliers they have if they
can't get to the wholesealers OS and even then, can finance big buy
lots....

In the end they lose and the customers pay stupid RRP amounts that
could be better spent on donating to the Starlight or Make a Wish
Foundation or feed a village in Chad etc.

I try to support my LBS's as much as possible but at times you just
gotta go the internerd.

--
rooman