Powder Coating

Old August 18th 17, 11:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Powder Coating

On 2017-08-18 11:09, Ian Field wrote:

On 2017-08-16 06:53, wrote:
The colors and consistencies you can get in powder coating is
fantastic. I found some slightly metallic very bright blue.

The problem is that powder coaters are not bicycle painters so the
rear dropouts that are chromed will be covered as well as everything
else.

So does anyone have an idea of how to remove the powder coating from
the dropouts without destroying the chrome at the same time?

AFAIK it's done the traditional way:

https://itstillruns.com/remove-paint...e-4809619.html

Paint is totally different to powder coat, AFAIK: traditional masking
will tend to rip off a strip of coating where you want it to stay.

Powder coating is most often done electrostatically - I vaguely
remember
something about painting melted wax onto the chrome bits. The right
kind
of wax is an insulator that doesn't electrostatically hold the sprayed
on powder - or not so much anyway.

The end result still needs a bit of finishing round the edges - but
you
shouldn't end up having to strip it back and start over.

It's being done:

http://www.powdercoatguide.com/2013/08/masking.html

The edge line won't always be as sharp as with paint but on the near the
inside of the rear dropouts I guess it won't even be a cosmetic issue.

This is good information since I was worried about the rear wheel
adjusters. The frame had a worn out bottom bracket so I left it
installed to protect the threads.

If they do not remove it right after coating it will become thoroughly
caked in place. You could possibly still pry it loose but then some of
the new powder coat will chip off. They should be able to pretect
threads without the BB being installed. Also, on the drive side you'd
want a clean non-coated face or the newly mounted BB may not seat itself
properly.

The only thing I was concerned about was perhaps masking off the
chrome rear dropouts but decided that it wouldn't matter because the
powder coat is just as nice looking as the chrome would be.

The powder coat will crush when you tighten up - soon looks scruffy.

That, and it has too much give, making for a mushy axle mount. I would
not want powder coat on that surface. Even less for the BB. I'd really
have them mask such areas.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old August 19th 17, 09:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Fri, 18 Aug 2017 19:08:03 +0100, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"John B." wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 17 Aug 2017 18:50:43 +0100, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"John B." wrote in message
On Wed, 16 Aug 2017 21:39:23 +0100, "Ian Field"

"Joerg" wrote in message
On 2017-08-16 06:53, wrote:
[...]

I usually have bike frames powder coated in two or more colors and the
people that do it here are quite adept at masking. Whether to cover
chrome plating or just where two colors join. I'm told that they use a
"special masking tape" that will withstand the oven temperature.

Probably OK if you apply it thin enough, but that stuff has tensile
strength.

I'm not sure what you mean here. "Tensile strength"?

You have to cut round what you want to peel off or it peels off a lot more
than you want.

Probably the reason I don't have any problem is that "my shop" gives
me the frame ready to install the parts. No tape at all :-)

Old August 19th 17, 03:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

I know I'm repeating myself, but nobody else can mask your frame for painting as well as you can do it yourself, because you can take the time. I sure do like masking it myself and painting it with single-stage automotive paint. It's easy to buff out and re-spray if it gets scratched. In my humblest of opines, I think powder coat may be overkill.
Old August 20th 17, 09:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sat, 19 Aug 2017 07:22:49 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

I know I'm repeating myself, but nobody else can mask your frame for painting as well as you can do it yourself, because you can take the time. I sure do like masking it myself and painting it with single-stage automotive paint. It's easy to buff out and re-spray if it gets scratched. In my humblest of opines, I think powder coat may be overkill.

Perhaps it is. On the other hand I can take a rusty, old, oily, frame
with a number of newly brazed on bits and leave it with "my powder
coater" , pick it up in about a week, and it looks pretty fine... cost
is about $15 or $20.

I did, some time ago, check with a bloke who paints boats using two
part paint and while he had never painted a bike and wouldn't quote a
firm price mentioned "the neighborhood of $50, or maybe more".

(which to be honest is why I prefer powder coating :-)

As for do it yourself it is costly for only a few frames as you will
need a proper spray gun and a source of compressed air, a paint booth,
or some way to be certain that you can paint in a dust free area, and
in my experience proper two part paint is seldom sold in small lots.
International Perfection is running about $100 a quart. Plus the
thinner is probably $15 - $20 a quart.
Old August 20th 17, 03:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

[...]

I don't know where you live but it must be out in the wilds of Nebraska. A powder coating job on a frame here normally cost about $150 and the one I'm getting uses some special powder coat that is only available from a company that the local coater doesn't normally do business with so they have to pay full retail for the powder and all the paperwork that involves so it will be $210.

If I get a color they normally use it is normally a day or two but it's been over a week and they haven't even started meaning the powder hasn't shown up.
Old August 21st 17, 01:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

My powder coating guy is in Phuket, Thailand, which is a tourist
resort and thus living costs more expensive then the usually Thai
small town.

As for price, I have had a number of frames done there in the past
year or so and I get charged the same whether it is one color, two
color, or two color plus clear coat. Assuming that it is a color that
they have in stock. From discussions with them they set prices
according to the area that is powder coated and a bicycle frame
doesn't have too many square inches.

Salaries are lower here due to a lower cost of living and you have to
pay the help whether they are smoking cigarettes or masking bike
frames and because Thailand has universal medical care there is no add
ons for Medicare, etc., so labour costs are essentially what you hand
the guy on payday. It probably makes a difference.

If I get a color they normally use it is normally a day or two but it's been over a week and they haven't even started meaning the powder hasn't shown up.

I can't even begin to guess what the charge would be if I asked for a
special color, but I'd guess it would be high considering the trouble
of ordering something special, CIF to Thailand, along with the fact
that probably nobody will ever want that color again, etc. :-)

--
Cheers,

John B.

Powder coating frames Ralph Barone[_3_] Techniques 12 September 27th 12 12:51 AM
Powder Coating Without Stripping Brian O. Unicycling 21 January 30th 08 06:02 AM
My 3 unis getting Powder coating! terrybigwheel Unicycling 7 May 7th 06 10:51 PM
powder coating x1psh1x Unicycling 8 March 27th 06 06:22 PM
Powder coating a hub ntappin Unicycling 7 February 22nd 06 09:05 PM