Obstructions

Old August 23rd 17, 07:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default Obstructions

On Tue, 22 Aug 2017 20:48:30 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

On 8/22/2017 8:23 PM, John B. wrote:
On Tue, 22 Aug 2017 12:36:14 -0700, Joerg

On 2017-08-21 22:54, James wrote:
On 22/08/17 13:34, John B. wrote:
On Tue, 22 Aug 2017 12:01:01 +1000, James
wrote:

On my 66km ride today, along the edge of the road I saw a python
maybe 2
metres long, a bearded dragon lizard, an echidna and several
wallabies.

One of the wallabies made me nervous that it was about to dart across
the road at me. I braked a little in anticipation, but it turned and
headed away from the road instead.

But no mountain lions ?

No. No broken chains fixed with rock and nail either. My rim brakes
worked fine too, and I didn't rip any big holes, or little holes in my
tyres.

Boringly event free!

Come here and ride the trails. The only thing that concerns me a bit
are rattlesnakes. Lately I encountered three. One I accidentally ran
over with the MTB, the other two I evaded. A big one was daring me
which is unusual behavior. The sneaky part is that many are no longer
in the habit of rattling to announce "intent to pounce".

You aren't seriously telling a guy from Australia that it's more
dangerous to ride in California because of the snakes are you? lol

I know they've got far more venomous snakes there but AFAIK not rattlers
lying around almost in an ambush position. It's a real problem on some
trails here. One of the risks is that you might lose part of a leg to
necrosis (requiring amputation).

Good Lord! Yet another danger our intrepid mountain biker defies.

The facts are that there are between 7,000 and 8,000 reptile bites
annually in the U.S. of which 7 - 12 result in death.
http://www.reptileknowledge.com/how-...-rattlesnakes/

True so far as it goes. The real killers here are deer:

http://tomfaranda.typepad.com/.a/6a0...181a970c-800wi

In northern Maine one used to see Moose walking along the road. A chap
I knew encountered one who would move over on the small one lane road
so he drove up, close behind the moose and blew the horn.

The moose kicked the grill and radiator out of the chap's car and then
walked (not ran) off.

I've often thought about that moose when I hear some bicyclist
complaining about someone passing too close :-(
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old August 23rd 17, 01:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Animals have tracks crossing roads apart from heading toward a potential food source.

Sometimes rush hour...

Old August 23rd 17, 03:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

I found the shed skin of a brown snake by our hot water service a couple
of weeks ago. I'll take your rattlers over our browns any day.

Oh yeah. AFAIK brown snakes are much nastier. With a rattler you can
treat the bite well if in a residential setting where someone can drive
you to the ER fast. The problem with rattlers is in the wilderness when
alone and many hilly miles away from civilization. Even if the cell
phone works they often couldn't get to you quickly and with rattler
bites you aren't supposed to move much (but have to hike or pedal out).

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old August 23rd 17, 03:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

As with bicycle accidents many people make the mistake of only looking
at deaths and ignoring all the cases where "life-altering" aftermath
occurs (in this case amputation due to necrosis).

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...lf-leg-n309101

Old August 23rd 17, 05:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, 23 August 2017 06:02:54 UTC-4, Duane wrote:

Up here in Quebec they tell me there are no poisonous snakes. We do have
hyenas though. And I've seen a few black bears in Gatineau.

By "hyenas" I take it you mean us locals?
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO
Old August 23rd 17, 05:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, 23 August 2017 02:31:35 UTC-4, John B. wrote:

Growing up in New England they were called woodchucks.

It is from the Cree "wuchack" meaning "grass-eater."

They were edible by the way.

I've never tried them, though I have thought the recipe for squirrel in
The Joy of Cooking would likely work.
Old August 24th 17, 12:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

squirrels eat nuts n seeds...roots

Old August 24th 17, 01:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Yes. And that is one of the ~7,000 people in the U.S. that get bitten
by snakes annually. Given that there are some 45,000 bicycle accidents
reported annually it is obvious that bicycles are just Soooo much more
dangerious that they probably ought to be outlawed. After all a
hundred people die in bicycle crashes for every one that dies due to
snake bite.
http://www.pedbikeinfo.org/data/factsheet_crash.cfm

But far more important! Some 450 people die annually from falling out
of bed every year. think of it! 64 people die from falling out of bed
for every death by snake bite.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old August 24th 17, 03:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

They're obviously falling out of bed into a snake pit.

Obstructions [email protected] Techniques 336 October 18th 11 01:11 AM
obstructions lite Dan O Techniques 5 June 27th 10 01:47 PM
Dangerous bike lane obstructions in Redwood City Mike Jacoubowsky General 201 February 9th 08 06:36 PM
Dangerous bike lane obstructions in Redwood City Tom Sherman[_2_] Social Issues 188 February 9th 08 06:36 PM