What gauge of spoke do I have?

Old July 31st 09, 01:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
!Jones[_2_]

Default What gauge of spoke do I have?

The thread mikes at 0.1105 inches or about 2.8mm. They're pretty
heavy spokes... what gauge is this? I think it's a 12 gauge (US &
Brit,) but I'm not sure.

Jones

Old July 31st 09, 10:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

!Jones wrote:

The thread mikes at 0.1105 inches or about 2.8mm. *They're pretty
heavy spokes... what gauge is this? *I think it's a 12 gauge (US &
Brit,) *but I'm not sure.

That would be some version of 12 gauge, as opposed to 13 gauge which
is 2.3mm or 14 gauge which is 2.0mm.

In the stupidly fat spoke world, spokes are often misrepresented by a
*******ized combination of their nominal diameter in thousandths of an
inch and the word "gauge". Thus you'll see "105 gauge" or "120 gauge"
in descriptions of bikes and trikes that in truth would be much better
off with regular 14ga spokes.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&safe=off&q="120+gauge+spokes"

Why do you have spokes like that?

Chalo
Old July 31st 09, 01:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
!Jones[_2_]

On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 02:02:54 -0700 (PDT), in rec.bicycles.tech Chalo
wrote:

Why do you have spokes like that?

Why??? Because they're *there*, of course! I ask you, sir: why do
something the easy way when, with just a little effort, you can make
it much more difficult?

Jones

Old July 31st 09, 01:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
!Jones[_2_]

BTW, in case anyone doesn't know, the term "gauge" usually refers to a
fraction of a known mass of lead. For example, a "16 gauge shotgun"
is 1/16 of a pound of lead (OK, that's not mass, of course.) As the
number gets smaller, the diameter grows as a function of N cubed. So
people talk about a .410 "gauge" and number drills the same way.

Jones

Old July 31st 09, 01:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
semi-ambivalent[_2_]

On Jul 31, 6:34*am, !Jones wrote:
BTW, in case anyone doesn't know, the term "gauge" usually refers to a
fraction of a known mass of lead. *For example, a "16 gauge shotgun"
is 1/16 of a pound of lead (OK, that's not mass, of course.) *As the
number gets smaller, the diameter grows as a function of N cubed. *So
people talk about a .410 "gauge" and number drills the same way.

Jones

The number of spheres, their diameter matching the bore of the barrel,
that can be cast out of one pound of lead. That's how it was explained
to me when my grandfather gave me his Model 12. (Didn't know about the
drills though, thanks for that.)
Old July 31st 09, 03:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
someone

On 31 July, 01:51, !Jones wrote:
The thread mikes at 0.1105 inches or about 2.8mm. *They're pretty
heavy spokes... what gauge is this? *I think it's a 12 gauge (US &
Brit,) *but I'm not sure.

Jones

Don't know thread diameters. For the wire itself 14swg is .080"
15swg .072" 16swg .064" 17swg .056"

I'll take a guess that 13swg is .088" and 12swg is .096"

Thread diameters do not necessarily change according to spoke gauge.
Old July 31st 09, 07:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
!Jones[_2_]

On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 05:50:31 -0700 (PDT), in rec.bicycles.tech
semi-ambivalent wrote:

On Jul 31, 6:34*am, !Jones wrote:
BTW, in case anyone doesn't know, the term "gauge" usually refers to a
fraction of a known mass of lead. *For example, a "16 gauge shotgun"
is 1/16 of a pound of lead (OK, that's not mass, of course.) *As the
number gets smaller, the diameter grows as a function of N cubed. *So
people talk about a .410 "gauge" and number drills the same way.

Jones

The number of spheres, their diameter matching the bore of the barrel,
that can be cast out of one pound of lead. That's how it was explained
to me when my grandfather gave me his Model 12. (Didn't know about the
drills though, thanks for that.)

I think that numbered drills work similarly; however, I haven't a clue
on what their initial (drill #1: diameter .228) is based. I assume
that, if you take one weight of lead and drop it from a shot tower,
you get a sphere of that diameter... but I'm clueless as to what the
initial mass is supposed to be. I suspect that it may go back to
archaic apothecary masses of "drams" (in which we still measure
gunpowder,) but I dunno... I just use the chart. After we settle
*that*, we can tackle letter drills which go in the opposite
direction; i.e., 'B' is larger than 'A'.

Jones

Old July 31st 09, 07:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
!Jones[_2_]

On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 07:03:34 -0700 (PDT), in rec.bicycles.tech someone
wrote:

On 31 July, 01:51, !Jones wrote:
The thread mikes at 0.1105 inches or about 2.8mm. *They're pretty
heavy spokes... what gauge is this? *I think it's a 12 gauge (US &
Brit,) *but I'm not sure.

Jones

Don't know thread diameters. For the wire itself 14swg is .080"
15swg .072" 16swg .064" 17swg .056"

I'll take a guess that 13swg is .088" and 12swg is .096"

Thread diameters do not necessarily change according to spoke gauge.

Well, the thread drives the nipple, not the body of the spoke. Some
are cut and some are roll-formed... I thought you put the mike on the
thread, not in the middle of the spoke. Am I wrong?

Jones

Old July 31st 09, 08:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

semi-ambivalent wrote:

On Jul 31, 6:34 am, !Jones wrote:
[...]

"drams" ?? On what planet?
We reload to a value in grains.

I just looked that up, 27.34 grains = 1 dram, kinda coarse
unit for powder.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old July 31st 09, 08:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

On 31 July, 01:51, !Jones wrote:
The thread mikes at 0.1105 inches or about 2.8mm. They're pretty
heavy spokes... what gauge is this? I think it's a 12 gauge (US &
Brit,) but I'm not sure.

Jones

Don't know thread diameters. For the wire itself 14swg is .080"
15swg .072" 16swg .064" 17swg .056"

I'll take a guess that 13swg is .088" and 12swg is .096"

Thread diameters do not necessarily change according to spoke gauge.

Well, the thread drives the nipple, not the body of the spoke. Some
are cut and some are roll-formed... I thought you put the mike on the
thread, not in the middle of the spoke. Am I wrong?

Yes.

Wire gauge is measured where it is not upset (raised) by
thread rolling.

Spoke gauge incredulous Techniques 10 February 7th 09 09:58 AM
Large marge rim spoke gauge MuniAddict Unicycling 17 July 9th 07 03:15 AM
Spoke Gauge vs Wire Gauge G. Huang Techniques 3 August 13th 05 09:13 AM
spoke gauge/spoke tension relation.... [email protected] Techniques 12 January 23rd 05 12:30 AM
Spoke Gauge Question? Matt.P.Herbert Unicycling 3 May 29th 04 08:17 PM