spoke key wire gauge

Old June 3rd 17, 04:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default spoke key wire gauge

On 6/3/2017 8:17 AM, John B. wrote:
On Sat, 03 Jun 2017 06:05:37 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

John B. wrote:

Probably because tools have evolved.
The first guy that used a "hammer" probably
just picked up a rock to bash a dinosaur.

Many of our tools were probably around then in
some form or another. Only the application of
an idea is so important. The idea behind the
hammer is obvious and the stone age hammers
were hammers. But not exactly as our hammers,
right? For more advanced tools this discrepancy
widens... There were probably *computers* in
the stone age as well but our computers is what
- since the transistors of the 40s-50s?

Re beer. Try to discover who brewed the first
batch of beer :-)

That would be one thing that hasn't changed
that much

Actually it has. I'm not a beer drinker but I did look up "medieval
beer making" for a friend and :way back when" they apparently didn't
use hops as I found quite a lot of recipes that included other
flavoring.

And I've wondered about "natural selection" regarding food and drink
over the centuries. At least in non-starvation times, it seems people
continually tinker with recipes, and keep the recipes that work out
better. IOW, there's "survival of the fittest recipes." And recipes
have had maybe 700 years to improve since medieval times.

It seems to follow that most medieval food and drink would taste pretty
lousy to us!

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 3rd 17, 08:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Saturday, June 3, 2017 at 7:57:19 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/2/2017 11:58 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:

Vaguely related: A certain gentleman I know
is very intelligent, extremely respected by
a large community, wonderfully knowledgeable
regarding history, sociology, philosophy,
religion, etc.

Such stuff is tricky to fit into this
discussion as there is nothing to "operate".
I take it he knows books are put in
bookshelves, how to sort them alphabetically,
that they consist of chapters and paragraphs,
that three makes a triology, how to use an
index and a bookmark, what is an ISBN, how to
borrow at a library, and that books are edited
and typeset by a publishing house.
But everybody knows that, and if you don't you
are not a lamer but an imbecile...

So: He rides a Harley Davidson motorcycle,
one that's quite expensive [...]

In the museum, he kept pointing to parts of the
motorcycles and asking questions; for example
"What's that part right there? Is that
the carburetor?"

My answer: "No, that's the battery."

Perhaps he is so succesful he just bought an
expansive HD. And perhaps he never thought
about any of that stuff until that visit to
the museum!

But, here at least, no person buys a 8000 USD
bicycle just because he is succesful and needs
a bicycle. For MCs and cars I can see it happen
tho, that people buy them really expensive
without really being into MCs or cars as an
interest/activity...

Way back in the 1970s, a guy came into the little bike shop that I
frequented and asked what was the most expensive bicycle that he could
buy. The owner said it was a titanium bike (probably Teledyne) that had
just come out on the market.

The customer said he wanted two of them as soon as possible. According
to my friend the shop owner, the guy didn't even know that bicycles came
in different sizes.

My son sold matching $6K Roubaixs to a guy who just said "I want two of those." The buyer was some rich guy who needed a couple of bikes for a vacation. The total tab was around $13K with bric-a-brac. I think the commission got my son a dinner out. Those people are few and far between, but they exist. You want to go to their garage sales because they have a lot of top-of-the-line low mileage stuff that they know noting about -- except that they want to get rid of it.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old June 3rd 17, 08:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

jbeattie writes:

My son sold matching $6K Roubaixs to a guy who just
said "I want two of those." The buyer was some rich
guy who needed a couple of bikes for a vacation.
The total tab was around $13K with bric-a-brac.
I think the commission got my son a dinner out.
Those people are few and far between, but they
exist. You want to go to their garage sales because
they have a lot of top-of-the-line low mileage stuff
that they know noting about -- except that they want
to get rid of it.

Ha! Like I said, I don't respect that.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Old June 3rd 17, 09:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

Frank Krygowski wrote:

:And I've wondered about "natural selection" regarding food and drink
ver the centuries. At least in non-starvation times, it seems people
:continually tinker with recipes, and keep the recipes that work out
:better. IOW, there's "survival of the fittest recipes." And recipes
:have had maybe 700 years to improve since medieval times.

:It seems to follow that most medieval food and drink would taste pretty
:lousy to us!

A lot of it would, yes. Bland: spices were expensive, and most people
did without them. A lot of things that we take for granted (potatoes,
tomatoes, peppers, corn) are from the new world, so unkown.

--
sig 79
Old June 3rd 17, 09:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ian Field

"Andre Jute" wrote in message
On Friday, June 2, 2017 at 9:47:33 PM UTC+1, AMuzi wrote:

[1] A friend's family makes match plates for iron castings
so I have a small acquaintance with this, no direct foundry
experience.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

When I was a boy, every big scrapyard had the capability of casting at
least pot iron gratings and other municipal requirements; I imagine modern
health and safety may have put a stop to that.

Last time I visited a scrap yard, someone was dealing with a kiln mishap -
there was a pretty big puddle of aluminium that had cooled, several people
were busy carving it into chunks with oxy-acetylene torches.

Old June 3rd 17, 09:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 03/06/17 12:24, John B. wrote:

Probably because tools have evolved. The first guy that used a
"hammer" probably just picked up a rock to bash a dinosaur.

Or a chain pin...

--
JS

Old June 3rd 17, 10:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 03/06/17 22:19, John B. wrote:
On Sat, 3 Jun 2017 17:17:50 +1000, James
wrote:

On 03/06/17 10:22, AMuzi wrote:

hah! You obviously have not flashed software upgrades on any of the
current electronic shift systems.

I've never flashed my software at any shift system.

You are saying that you keep your pants on?

Around a shift system, yes.

--
JS

Old June 3rd 17, 10:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Saturday, June 3, 2017 at 9:30:34 PM UTC+1, Ian Field wrote:
"Andre Jute" wrote in message
On Friday, June 2, 2017 at 9:47:33 PM UTC+1, AMuzi wrote:

[1] A friend's family makes match plates for iron castings
so I have a small acquaintance with this, no direct foundry
experience.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

When I was a boy, every big scrapyard had the capability of casting at
least pot iron gratings and other municipal requirements; I imagine modern
health and safety may have put a stop to that.

Last time I visited a scrap yard, someone was dealing with a kiln mishap -
there was a pretty big puddle of aluminium that had cooled, several people
were busy carving it into chunks with oxy-acetylene torches.

Jesus save me. I can just imagine a "smelter engineer" (hell, the garbageman is a "sanitation engineer" and Frank Krygowski is a "plant engineer") putting his foot into the fresh puddle to "Check if it is hot."

Andre Jute
Now, Timoshenko was an engineer
Old June 4th 17, 01:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

John B. wrote:

[...]

Probably pretty mild flavored as certainly they used none, or very
little, of the common spices we have today. I would also guess that
even salt was rather "thin on the ground" unless you lived on the sea
shore.

I would also expect that meat of any sort was rarely eaten by the bulk
of the population. You don't chop a chicken's head off as long as they
are laying and if you don't have a rooster or two chickens don't lay
:-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

wire spoke history Jezrant Techniques 36 April 26th 10 11:50 AM
What gauge of spoke do I have? !Jones[_2_] Techniques 38 August 6th 09 08:35 PM
Spoke gauge incredulous Techniques 10 February 7th 09 09:58 AM
Spoke Gauge vs Wire Gauge G. Huang Techniques 3 August 13th 05 09:13 AM
spoke gauge/spoke tension relation.... [email protected] Techniques 12 January 23rd 05 12:30 AM