What kind of pump am I supposed to use on this bike?

Old December 6th 18, 12:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default What kind of pump am I supposed to use on this bike?

On Wednesday, December 5, 2018 at 3:01:54 PM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
On 12/5/2018 4:54 PM, wrote:
On Wednesday, December 5, 2018 at 2:12:22 PM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
On 12/5/2018 3:57 PM, news18 wrote:
On Wed, 05 Dec 2018 15:15:50 -0500, Frank Krygowski wrote:

On 12/5/2018 1:38 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Wednesday, December 5, 2018 at 12:52:54 PM UTC-5, Mark J. wrote:
On 12/5/2018 9:22 AM,
wrote:

The HPX was great. Too bad they ceased production.

Huh? I thought I saw a newly-stocked one in my LBS just last week..
Did you mean the \mountain\ version was discontinued?

Mark J.

I bought several of them off of the Internet but they mostly were worn
out. The French used a lot of natural rubber which rots.

It's still on the Zefal website.

http://www.zefal.com/en/traditional-pumps/32-hpx.html

And what a weird retronym, to now call it a "traditional" pump.

I call it a pump.

Well, it is. It works the same way as most hand bicycle pumps I have,
from the brass to the plastic to the aluminium of the HPX.
You with draw the rod and the washer "shrinks" to allow air into the
resulting vacum and when you depress the rod, the plunger expands and
drives air out the connector. The only difference is the material of
construction; brass and wood, all plastic, and aluminium and plastic.

The only oddity is the plastic "fingers' on the HPX to have one end mate
to a part of the frame. The Zefal MTN bike pump is just a fatter, shorter
version of the old brass pump.

Well, yes, but in fairness the distinguishing feature of HPX
is a very functional simple method to compress the valve
seal tightly by throwing the lever. The flip side of that is
simple, easy release (the lack of which riders bitch about
with certain other pumps).

Ingeniously, the head disassembles easily with fingers,
another positive design feature IMHO.

Not to discount your note on Zéfal wings, the first
replaceable nylon frame interface, but that wasn't all HPX
brought to us.

It was really irritating after I got that Zefal floor pump from you and they changed the pump head to a push on rather than a slip on with a lock. That sliding brass head that I had on my original. It doesn't work well at all. If you have a threadless presta valve it slips right off and if you have a threaded presta valve it tears the seal out of the pump head pretty rapidly.

The pump we sent you was a Silca Super Pista
http://www.yellowjersey.org/silfloor.jpg

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Yes, and it works very well, but their redesign of the pump head wasn't very good.
Old December 6th 18, 01:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On 12/5/2018 9:22 AM, wrote:

[...]

Plus, you could flip the washer around and turn it into a Schrader valve so you could be a Joerg-like super-helpful person and pump the flat tires of the hapless people with Schrader valves found stranded on the trail -- dying of dehydration and starvation, miles away from the nearest brewpub.

My problem with the HPX was that the lever on the head could go flaccid and get caught on stuff. I suppose that was the function of an old or improperly tightened washer retaining ring, but IIRC, I had that problem even when the ring was tight. Otherwise, the pumps worked well.

However, I prefer the RoadMorph on my commuter. I like the built in gauge and the fact that it is a mini floor pump. No worry about fretting the valve stem. On the super-fast bikes, I use mini clown pumps and CO2 cartridges -- so I can fill the tire fast and chase back on to the peleton! Really, though, when you're wiped out from riding hard and get a flat, it is really nice to not have to pump anything -- particularly 500 strokes on the clown pump.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old December 6th 18, 06:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Wed, 05 Dec 2018 16:12:19 -0600, AMuzi wrote:

On 12/5/2018 3:57 PM, news18 wrote:

The only oddity is the plastic "fingers' on the HPX to have one end
mate to a part of the frame. The Zefal MTN bike pump is just a fatter,
shorter version of the old brass pump.

Well, yes, but in fairness the distinguishing feature of HPX is a very
functional simple method to compress the valve seal tightly by throwing
the lever. The flip side of that is simple, easy release (the lack of
which riders bitch about with certain other pumps).

Well, YMMV, but IME it is the only bicycle hand pump that has that
feature. I've found it on both bicycle floor pumps and just about every
motor vehicle tyre ground pump I've had, so I didn't think it was
particularly innovative.

Ingeniously, the head disassembles easily with fingers, another positive
design feature IMHO.

The other thing I noticed was the narrow bore which meant you could pump
to a higher pressure by hand than the old common pumps.

Not to discount your note on Zéfal wings, the first replaceable nylon
frame interface, but that wasn't all HPX brought to us.

any way.

Old December 6th 18, 02:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Thursday, December 6, 2018 at 12:35:08 AM UTC, jbeattie wrote:

...so you could be a Joerg-like super-helpful person and pump the flat tires of the hapless people with Schrader valves found stranded on the trail -- dying of dehydration and starvation, miles away from the nearest brewpub.

Whoa! You gotta tell the story in sequence. What happened to the mountain lion that had already bitten off one of the fleeing cyclist's heels?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Raleigh-Bik...-/310967626346

Andre Jute
Lions are pests, vermin. They eat all the more attractive animals. They have no sense of a balanced ecology. And they breed like there's no tomorrow, the only true Malthusian case I know of. Even zoos won't take lions any more.
Old December 6th 18, 03:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Wednesday, December 5, 2018 at 11:01:54 PM UTC, AMuzi wrote:

... a Silca Super Pista
http://www.yellowjersey.org/silfloor.jpg

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

I don't have a Silca, but I have some thoughts on another good floor pump posted at
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...ch/pinjlUhTowg
Old December 6th 18, 04:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 12/6/2018 7:45 AM, Andre Jute wrote:
On Thursday, December 6, 2018 at 12:35:08 AM UTC, jbeattie wrote:

...so you could be a Joerg-like super-helpful person and pump the flat tires of the hapless people with Schrader valves found stranded on the trail -- dying of dehydration and starvation, miles away from the nearest brewpub.

Whoa! You gotta tell the story in sequence. What happened to the mountain lion that had already bitten off one of the fleeing cyclist's heels?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Raleigh-Bik...-/310967626346

Andre Jute
Lions are pests, vermin. They eat all the more attractive animals. They have no sense of a balanced ecology. And they breed like there's no tomorrow, the only true Malthusian case I know of. Even zoos won't take lions any more.

recycling:
https://www.enca.com/sites/default/f...NG2_150515.jpg

Old December 7th 18, 05:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Thursday, December 6, 2018 at 3:18:05 PM UTC, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Hau!*

Andre Jute
*Great respect. That fellow in his early teens, as part of the adulthood circumcision ceremony very likely went naked into the bush, carrying only a spear, and returned with the skin of the dangerous animal he killed.