Can't Use Helmets in the Sun????

Old May 8th 06, 06:41 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc

Default Can't Use Helmets in the Sun????

Sorni wrote:
dvt wrote:
From http://www.newsreaders.com/guide/netiquette.html:

/Don't excessively cross-post/

* Cross-posting refers to posting a message to more than one group
at a time, in the same post.

* If a message /truly belongs/ in multiple groups, by all means
cross-post. In fact it is /better/ to cross-post than to post the
same message separately to different groups. {italics added}

HELLO?!? Which of the groups above are inappropriate???

r.b.marketplace, which was trimmed from this message.

While I'm 92.3% sure the OP was a troll, it WAS on topic for the
groups in which it was...cast.

No, it was not on topic. See above. And thanks for snipping the other,
more pertinent parts of my post.

By posting your holier-than-thou admonition to just ONE group, people
in the others were deprived of your much-needed {netcop sarcams
mode} wisdom.

What a maroon...

Thanks, Bill.

--
Dave
dvt at psu dot edu

Old May 8th 06, 06:53 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc

dvt wrote:
Sorni wrote:
dvt wrote:
From http://www.newsreaders.com/guide/netiquette.html:

/Don't excessively cross-post/

* Cross-posting refers to posting a message to more than one group
at a time, in the same post.

* If a message /truly belongs/ in multiple groups, by all means
cross-post. In fact it is /better/ to cross-post than to post the
same message separately to different groups. {italics added}

HELLO?!? Which of the groups above are inappropriate???

r.b.marketplace, which was trimmed from this message.

They don't sell helmets among other cycling accessories on there?
(Newsgroup restored so no one missed this vital discussion.) And why did
you trim the OTHER groups?

While I'm 92.3% sure the OP was a troll, it WAS on topic for the
groups in which it was...cast.

No, it was not on topic. See above. And thanks for snipping the other,
more pertinent parts of my post.

But you yourself posted the above /exception/ to the rest of your post,
making it moot. Did you READ what you posted?!?

By posting your holier-than-thou admonition to just ONE group, people
in the others were deprived of your much-needed {netcop sarcams
mode} wisdom.

What a maroon...

Thanks, Bill.

Don't mention it :-D

Old May 8th 06, 06:56 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc

On Mon, 08 May 2006 07:24:53 -0700, GaryG wrote:

Get a clue, NYC...many outdoor products have a "shelf life" (e.g.,
tents, lawn furniture, etc.), due to the effects of UV and heat.

In the case of helmets, there's also the fact that they are designed to
be light and comfortable. You could probably design a stainless steel
helmet that was not subject to UV breakdown...but, you wouldn't want to
wear it.

Gary, it takes *a lot* of UV exposure to break down plastics. We've all
seen styrofoam cups, coolers, and beach toys crumbling from exposure to
the elements, but we forget they've been lying around outside for decades,
and exposed to worse things than UV. Helmets may get a few hours a day of
exposure, a few times a week, if that. Newer ones have non-structural
plastic caps on them, and dyes in the styrofoam to protect from UV. So
the structural styrofoam is well protected. Basically this is not worth
worrying about.

Matt O.
Old May 8th 06, 07:31 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc

What scares me most here is the near certainty that I'm the only one
who's reminded of that old Terry Jacks song;

We had joy
We had fun
We had helmets in the sun...

Man ... was that song a bag of downers or what?
Old May 8th 06, 07:33 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

Paul Hobson wrote:
Sorni wrote:
{newsgroups restored}

dvt wrote:

From http://www.newsreaders.com/guide/netiquette.html:

/Don't excessively cross-post/

* Cross-posting refers to posting a message to more than one
group at a time, in the same post.

* If a message /truly belongs/ in multiple groups, by all means
cross-post. In fact it is /better/ to cross-post than to post the
same message separately to different groups. {italics added}

HELLO?!? Which of the groups above are inappropriate???

While I'm 92.3% sure the OP was a troll, it WAS on topic for the
groups in which it was...cast.

By posting your holier-than-thou admonition to just ONE group,
people in the others were deprived of your much-needed {netcop
sarcams mode} wisdom. Bill "and no, sarcams ain't no typo" S.

Honestly, NYC XYZ annoys the crap out of me. It boggles my mind that
people reply to this "former NYC messenger's" asinine questions. That
said, I'm confident that these posts belong neither in rec.bikes.tech
or rec.bikes.marketplace.

Maybe they do. Who knows?

Well, I agree about tech sorta -- but you must be aware of the raging lid
wars going on right now there?

Old May 8th 06, 08:22 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc

wrote:
Matt O'Toole wrote:

Gary, it takes *a lot* of UV exposure to break down plastics. We've
all seen styrofoam cups, coolers, and beach toys crumbling from
exposure to the elements, but we forget they've been lying around
outside for decades, and exposed to worse things than UV. Helmets
may get a few hours a day of exposure, a few times a week, if that.
Newer ones have non-structural plastic caps on them, and dyes in the
styrofoam to protect from UV. So the structural styrofoam is well
protected. Basically this is not worth worrying about.

I agree that foam breakdown from direct sunlight is unlikely to be a
problem.

OTOH, I had a person show me her helmet with a cracked "microshell."
The thin vacuum-formed plastic that carried the decorations seemed to
have gotten very brittle. Or perhaps it always was brittle. In any
case, a very minor bump (she dropped the helmet from about three feet)
caused a chunk of that plastic to break off, and it was obvious the
rest was fragile.

I wondered if this was intended to sell helmets. In her case, the
broken-out bit wasn't very conspicuous, but I could see the helmet
looking bad after a few repetitions. Some people might buy a new
helmet just because the first looked ratty. Others might become
convinced the magic had leaked out.

Note, I recall reading an article where a man talked of quitting his
VP position at a consumer products company, in part (he claimed)
because he found out they purposely compounded plastic items to
degrade from UV exposure. Can't say for sure it was true, of course.
He never named the company, and it was just a remark in passing.

"She dropped the helmet from about three feet."

How convenient!

Old May 8th 06, 09:46 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc

"Sorni" wrote in message
Matt O'Toole wrote:

[...]

I've seen the same thing. 3' just happens to be the approximate height of
the helmet if you sit it on the handlebars as some riders do or hook it over
the lever.

Old May 8th 06, 10:37 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.misc

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

No. What it means is that it may, in fact, "melt" if left in your car with
the windows rolled up. This does happen; car interiors can get incredibly
hot under certain conditions. Worse things happen than melted helmets inside
cars. Giro, and probably most other helmet manufacturers, get a lot of
claims (warranty demands) for helmets that were subject to such heat. The
materials used in a helmet are chosen for suitability in the environment
they're normally used.

But it absolutely, positively will not be rendered useless by riding in
normal conditions. If you were doing a tour on Mercury or Venus? Yeah, it
would probably melt. Don't do that.

As for warnings that the helmet is useless for any and all purposes, those
are standard disclaimers found on many safety products, meant to deflect
lawyers who would argue the absurd notion that the helmet should have been
able to protect in virtually any foreseeable circumstance; thus, helmets are
marketed as much as a fashion item as they are anything having to do with
protecting your skull. Don't blame the helmet companies for that one; in
general, the easiest way to be a target is to manufacture something,
anything, and claim it will make you safer.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Um, I doubt they'd get away with a disclaimer which disavows the
intended use of the product!