Chain cleaning solvents

Old April 4th 07, 12:55 AM posted to aus.bicycle
suzyj[_7_]

Default Chain cleaning solvents

Hi guys,

I used to use kerosene to clean my chains, but it became shockingly
expensive (nobody had it at the bowser anymore) so I changed to
petrodiesel, which has been pretty good for getting gunk off chains.

Last night I filled the car up with biodiesel, and I started to wonder
if it's any good for cleaning chains. From what I've read on the web,
it's a better solvent than petrodiesel (in as much as it removes
deposits from your fuel system so they can gum up filters and
injectors), and it's certainly safer to store than petrodiesel, having
a higher flash-point.

I wonder if it might be less of a skin irritant, too...

So has anyone tried it? I'm kicking myself now for not tsaking a fuel
container with me last night when I filled the car...

--
suzyj

Old April 4th 07, 01:00 AM posted to aus.bicycle
gplama[_57_]

suzyj Wrote:

So has anyone tried it? I'm kicking myself now for not tsaking a fuel
container with me last night when I filled the car...

Nope, but get a loooong straw and siphon some back out!

--
gplama

Old April 4th 07, 03:59 AM posted to aus.bicycle
John Henderson

suzyj wrote:

Last night I filled the car up with biodiesel, and I started
to wonder if it's any good for cleaning chains. From what
I've read on the web, it's a better solvent than petrodiesel
(in as much as it removes deposits from your fuel system so
they can gum up filters and injectors), and it's certainly
safer to store than petrodiesel, having a higher flash-point.

I agree about biodiesel's superior solvent properties. Carry a
spare fuel filter if you switch to it in a high-milage Diesel.

I wonder if it might be less of a skin irritant, too...

I believe it is. There are (unconfirmed) reports of people
drinking the stuff to prove a point.

So has anyone tried it? I'm kicking myself now for not
tsaking a fuel container with me last night when I filled the
car...

I still use turps for chain cleaning, so I can't comment on that
aspect.

The thing I want to know is where you managed to find biodiesel
on sale (unless from SAFF in Adelaide).

John
Old April 4th 07, 04:52 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Terryc

suzyj wrote:
Hi guys,

I used to use kerosene to clean my chains,

The trick with kero is to reuse it. you pour the waste into an old
plastic container and let it settle out. Next time you need to clean
your chain, you pour off the clean stuff on top. Repeat this cycle until
it is too oily, use for tar pot, firelighter, metal degreaser, etc

You use just a smidge/minimal new kero for the final wash.

I do not like using any petrol for the flammability problem and the skin
irritability.

In both case,
i can recommend barrier/sorbolene cream before you start and citrus
clear + sorbolene cream afterwards.

I'm kicking myself now for not tsaking a fuel
container with me last night when I filled the car...

Let me know if you get a terrorist report filed. {:-)
Tell you need it for mowing the country homestead block.
No problem with 20L. Will be interesting when we do 60L in drum.

P.S. be very careful filling containers, make sure it is approved for
fuel, and do not try to crib that last little bit.

Old April 4th 07, 06:19 AM posted to aus.bicycle
suzyj[_8_]

John Henderson wrote:

The thing I want to know is where you managed to
find biodiesel on sale (unless from SAFF in Adelaide).

Volume Petroleum, in Forestville (Sydney). Tho it's only B70,
according to the guy at the counter.

Rumour has it that the biodiesel station in Marrickville will soon be
reopening.

Chers,

Suzy

--
suzyj

Old April 4th 07, 07:15 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Rory Williams[_5_]

John Henderson Wrote:

The thing I want to know is where you managed to find biodiesel
on sale (unless from SAFF in Adelaide).

John

Looking at the Australian biodiesel site the only place in Victoria is
in Laverton. I think we actually use them as recyclers for our used
food oils out of our research plant.

One of my research staff comes from Bendigo and her Family is still
farming up there. Apparently a group of Farmers up there have set up a
plant to produce their own biodiesel from crops (I presume canola) they
are growing.

RoryW

--
Rory Williams

Old April 4th 07, 07:21 AM posted to aus.bicycle
John Henderson

suzyj wrote:

Volume Petroleum, in Forestville (Sydney). Tho it's only B70,
according to the guy at the counter.

Rumour has it that the biodiesel station in Marrickville will
soon be reopening.

Thanks. I was aware of that closure. Good to see it reopening.

John
Old April 4th 07, 07:37 AM posted to aus.bicycle
John Henderson

Rory Williams wrote:

Looking at the Australian biodiesel site the only place in
Victoria is in Laverton. I think we actually use them as
recyclers for our used food oils out of our research plant.

Thanks. I was aware of a site at Boronia, Vic, listed on
http://www.grownfuel.com/buybiodiesel/index.html

One of my research staff comes from Bendigo and her Family is
still farming up there. Apparently a group of Farmers up
there have set up a plant to produce their own biodiesel from
crops (I presume canola) they are growing.

If only I could buy it here in Canberra. I need a large vehicle
to take my son's wheelchair, and don't like imposing more
greenhouse load than I need to.

John
Old April 4th 07, 07:52 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Rory Williams[_6_]

John Henderson Wrote: [color=blue]
Thanks. I was aware of a site at Boronia, Vic, listed on
http://www.grownfuel.com/buybiodiesel/index.html

John

Thanks for that contact. Unfortunately not on my side of town but I'm
occasionally over that way. I have a diesel vehicle which I am trying
not to use too much for one reason and another. The bio-option might
reduce the strain on the conscience.

RoryW

--
Rory Williams

Old April 4th 07, 08:03 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Bleve

On Apr 4, 4:15 pm, Rory Williams Rory.Williams.2oi...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com wrote:
John Henderson Wrote:

The thing I want to know is where you managed to find biodiesel
on sale (unless from SAFF in Adelaide).

John

Looking at the Australian biodiesel site the only place in Victoria is
in Laverton. I think we actually use them as recyclers for our used
food oils out of our research plant.

One of my research staff comes from Bendigo and her Family is still
farming up there. Apparently a group of Farmers up there have set up a
plant to produce their own biodiesel from crops (I presume canola) they
are growing.

There's a biofuel servo out near ferntree gully, I think on Scorseby
Rd?

Yet another chain cleaning tip Gary Smiley Techniques 11 October 17th 06 09:01 PM
chain cleaning TomCAt General 54 September 16th 05 04:00 AM
CHAIN CLEANING the best way? Polly Techniques 55 May 18th 05 10:38 PM
Chain Cleaning kwa_zulu Australia 4 January 5th 05 12:36 AM
Chain cleaning Alan Walker Australia 1 December 2nd 04 10:47 AM