How long will a positive homologous test subject remain positive?

Old July 24th 07, 11:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MrBob

Default How long will a positive homologous test subject remain positive?

When can we expect the results from Vino's mountain stage win?

If these turn up negative, then what? From what I remember about basic
bio, red blood cells take weeks to months to die.

Any comments / press articles about the science behind the results here?
Old July 24th 07, 11:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
raoul patato valdez

On 24 juil, 15:20, MrBob wrote:
When can we expect the results from Vino's mountain stage win?

Prudhomme said they were currently being analyzed in Chatenay, should
be a couple of days...

If these turn up negative, then what?

We'll know soon enough

From what I remember about basic

Old July 25th 07, 12:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Davey Crockett[_3_]

MrBob writes:

When can we expect the results from Vino's mountain stage win?

If these turn up negative, then what? From what I remember about basic
bio, red blood cells take weeks to months to die.

Any comments / press articles about the science behind the results here?

Good question

Could you please keep us informed if you see/hear anything?

--
Davey Crockett - No 4Q to Reply
Old July 25th 07, 12:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
MrBob

In article ,
Davey Crockett wrote:

MrBob writes:

When can we expect the results from Vino's mountain stage win?

If these turn up negative, then what? From what I remember about basic
bio, red blood cells take weeks to months to die.

Any comments / press articles about the science behind the results here?

Good question

Could you please keep us informed if you see/hear anything?

From the Hamilton case, I remember a lifespan of 120 days for a red
blood cell. I don't know if it's more of a half-life, or a FIFO process.

Again, based on vague memories from the Hamilton case, the test looks
for sub-types of blood types. I don't know if an injury or medical
product related to crashing could trigger a false positive.

Here's an interesting example - riders have tested positive for heart
attacks after racing the Furnace Creek 508. A positive result for the
test for an enzyme / protein produced by cardiac tissue death is
triggered by something else. Given that this is a 30 something hour
gruntfest, it's probably some other muscle death.

It's too bad that the rest of the team was not automatically tested - if
exactly one more positive result appeared it would pretty much eliminate
speculation.
Old July 25th 07, 02:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mark

MrBob wrote:

It's too bad that the rest of the team was not automatically tested - if
exactly one more positive result appeared it would pretty much eliminate
speculation.

Why? Non-cyclists can't donate blood?

Mark J.
Old July 25th 07, 02:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
SLAVE of THE STATE

On Jul 24, 4:53 pm, MrBob wrote:

Given that this is a 30 something hour
gruntfest, it's probably some other muscle death.

I heard the wrong saddle can affect boners. Then you rub on penis
cream to cure it, and crap!!!!!.... another T/E positive!

This is not a call for Bill Asher to talk about male porn stars.

Old July 25th 07, 03:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

"SLAVE of THE STATE" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jul 24, 4:53 pm, MrBob wrote:

Given that this is a 30 something hour
gruntfest, it's probably some other muscle death.

I heard the wrong saddle can affect boners. Then you rub on penis
cream to cure it, and crap!!!!!.... another T/E positive!

This is not a call for Bill Asher to talk about male porn stars.

While breathing heavily.

Old July 25th 07, 09:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Jul 25, 1:53 am, MrBob wrote:

From the Hamilton case, I remember a lifespan of 120 days for a red
blood cell. I don't know if it's more of a half-life, or a FIFO process.

There's some variation in the lifespan but the important thing to keep
in mind is that you're not transfusing blood cells that are all the
same age. Some (roughly, 1/120) are one day old and some are 119 days
old. In the Hamilton case, it was charged that he was consistently
mini-dosing with less than full units in order to get the observed
proportions of mixed blood. That's one of the reasons why it was
interesting to see whether the blood bags in the Puerto case were mini
(i.e., kid-sized) bags or full-sized units. It also suggests that in
the Hamilton case it couldn't have been a one-time only mix-up with
Santiago Perez.

Old July 25th 07, 02:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Robert McMillen

Although many other doping allegations have some ambiguities, Vino's
case should be easy. If he's innocent, call a press conference and
invite an independent lab to analyze his blood. If he had an homologous
blood transfusion - the evidence would still be there. If his test was
botched or sabotaged, the independent lab would clear him. He can
readily clear his name if he is innocent, and if he chooses not to do so
he is implicitly admitting guilt.

wrote:

From the Hamilton case, I remember a lifespan of 120 days for a red

Old July 25th 07, 06:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Jul 25, 3:53 pm, Robert McMillen
wrote:
Although many other doping allegations have some ambiguities, Vino's
case should be easy. If he's innocent, call a press conference and
invite an independent lab to analyze his blood. If he had an homologous
blood transfusion - the evidence would still be there. If his test was
botched or sabotaged, the independent lab would clear him. He can
readily clear his name if he is innocent, and if he chooses not to do so
he is implicitly admitting guilt.

Good idea, but the WADA prevents independent labs from doing the
homologous blood doping test. That test is proprietary and its
protocols and procedures are secret.