Sea to Shining Sea Support

Old February 23rd 09, 02:53 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
-RB

Default Sea to Shining Sea Support

Are you interested in a limited support coast to coast bicycle ride?
Then join me and my group, we will help you have a dream vacation.
I’m setting off on a coast to coast bicycling journey this coming
summer. The plan is to include RAGBRAI in our trip. I’m riding with
two friends from the San Francisco Bay area to Yorktown, Virginia
following Adventure Cycling Association (ACA) maps. The Western
Express route to mid Kansas, up to RAGBRAI, then back down to the
Transamerica map. We are between 45 and 54-years of age, two men, one
woman. We also have one set of retired parents driving a support van
for us. We are not partiers but do have an occasional alcoholic
beverage. We feel we are fun loving people. We’re planning our
departure date to be July 2nd.

We will dip our rear wheels in the Pacific Ocean, probably Santa Cruz
or near San Gregorio, CA. We’ll dip our front wheels in the
Atlantic. We would like to have at least a dozen riders in our group,
including us, to help defray the cost of our drivers, support vehicle,
and fuel. I’m thinking the cost will be around $800 apiece. We have
recreational/race type bikes so we do not want to carry anything on
them.

We expect to take around 37 to 39 days in total so it means we’ll be
on the move for an average 130 plus miles per day. We do expect we’ll
take one day off per week for rest and laundry, or sightseeing,
probably every seven or eight days. I expect most of us will fly home
so we will pre-arrange our flights and plan the trip accordingly.

All food will be on your own; however there should be room in the van
for small coolers and a Coleman stove. Of course room for duffle bags
and camp chairs too. The ACA maps have details needed to find food
and services along the way.

The following links well get you to the maps we'll be using so you can
get a general idea of the route…

http://www.adventurecycling.org/rout...ernexpress.cfm
http://www.adventurecycling.org/routes/transamerica.cfm

If you’d like more information please contact me at R B s k i i
.

-RB
Old February 23rd 09, 12:31 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Harry Brogan

On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 17:53:52 -0800 (PST), -RB wrote:
The plan is to include RAGBRAI in our trip. I’m riding with
two friends from the San Francisco Bay area to Yorktown, Virginia
following Adventure Cycling Association (ACA) maps.

If you are only going to Yorktown then you WON'T be dipping your front
wheel in the Atlantic ocean. You'll be dipping them in the York River
which connects to the Atlantic. You have to go just a LITTLE further
to get to the Atlantic. I know this because I actually live in the
Norfolk area...Oh...and I can actually READ a map!!!! SARCASM
__o | Every time I see an adult on a bicycle....
_`\(,_ | I no longer despair for the human race.
(_)/ (_) | ---H.G. Wells---
Old February 25th 09, 04:43 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

"-RB" wrote in message
[...]

This is the kind of madness that seems like a good idea when you are comfy
in your home, well fed and healthy. But once embarked upon, it soon
becomes the folly that it is. The only part of the trip that will be the
least bit enjoyable will be the RAGBRAI segment. The rest of the trip will
be a misery. These guys are old enough to know better, but I suppose some
folks are just slow learners. By the way, 75 miles a day is a more
realistic estimate. Only a fool would strive for 130 miles a day!

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

aka

Old February 25th 09, 12:17 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Harry Brogan

This is the kind of madness that seems like a good idea when you are comfy
in your home, well fed and healthy. But once embarked upon, it soon
becomes the folly that it is. The only part of the trip that will be the
least bit enjoyable will be the RAGBRAI segment. The rest of the trip will
be a misery. These guys are old enough to know better, but I suppose some
folks are just slow learners. By the way, 75 miles a day is a more
realistic estimate. Only a fool would strive for 130 miles a day!

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

aka

I'll agree with Ed here. 130 is a little on the high side. Are you
planning on setting records of some kind? If not then sit back and
enjoy the country. Seting mileage THAT high leaves little time to
enjoy what the country has to offer.

Understanding that Adventure Cycling has some GREAT maps. Why don't
you try and make your OWN route that will take you directly to the
RAGBRAI area? Instead of going all that way north and then back
south. Seems a waste of miles to me. But then it's YOUR trip after
all.
Old February 25th 09, 06:45 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Jeff Grippe

Back in the day when I was planning such a trip, I was thinking of 40-50 per
day and not riding every day. The only reason I would have even considered a
longer day is if the distance between the two closest places to stop was
greater. But then, I was in no hurry.

Jeff

Old February 26th 09, 03:42 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Harry Brogan

On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 13:37:45 -0500, Erness Wild
wrote:

I doubt many are prepared for weather.

YEPPERZ!!!!! That's the ONE thing that very few are REALLY prepared
for. I wonder how many take in to consideration that they may be
stuck in ONE place for two, three or four days.........
Old March 2nd 09, 01:24 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
-RB

http://www.adventurecycling.org/rout...ansamerica.cfm

If you’d like more information please contact me at R B s k i i
.

-RB

This is the kind of madness that seems like a good idea when you are comfy
in your home, well fed and healthy. *But once embarked upon, it soon
becomes the folly that it is. The only part of the trip that will be the
least bit enjoyable will be the RAGBRAI segment. The rest of the trip will
be a misery. These guys are old enough to know better, but I suppose some
folks are just slow learners. By the way, 75 miles a day is a more
realistic estimate. Only a fool would strive for 130 miles a day!
Regards,
Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

aka

This kind of display is strange to me. A guy thinks he can’t do it so
therefore, no one can do it. I think a very lot of men, and women,
live in the small space of 1.3 liters. That is the size of the
average human cranium. This is not to say these people are not
intelligent, or can’t learn, or cannot do what others do. It’s just
they cannot believe anything past what they can imagine themselves
doing at this moment in time or any time in the future. In this
mindset they will never do more than what the know today, right this
minute. They’ve given up on themselves and won’t even try to go a
step farther. These people are the very unfortunate naysayers.

I’m a veteran of more than two dozen randonee style 200K rides, all
involved high mountains, all in the last 4 years. In the Sierras, The
Death Ride 3 years consecutive, 16,000’ of climbing, 125 miles in one
day, done before dinner. In France, Mont Ventoux, three times in one
day, done before sundown and dinner. Two weeks recently in the French
Alps with every day over 100 miles that included all the major climbs
in that week, Alp d’Huez, Glandon, Croix de Fir, Telegraph, Galibier,
Lauturet, Mallard, Le Deux Alps…the full Le Marmot route. I’ve easily
ridden 80 to 100 miles at 20 MPH. Usually with no stopping till mile
70. My after work rides alone are between 60 and 70 miles before
dark.

Ed Dolan, now that I’ve seen what you look like this is truly
hilarious. From this photo of your fat gut I can say with gross
certainty you are not qualified enough to say anyone is mad or
foolish. Look in a mirror for a change buddy to see just how strange
you are to real cyclists. You in the end are the biggest fool. You
are a heart attack waiting to happen. I for one will not be flat out
on my back in a rolling lawn chair.
http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/orde...60026&po=-1&c=

During July, the sun will be up for 14.5 hours every day. My normal
pace is 16/17 MPH in mountains or not; I’ll only be rolling for 7.5 to
8.25 hours. I’ll have plenty of time to stop and see all that I care
to see off the bike. If you are reading this post and thinking you
may have a fun time with us, please do not let the little minded fat
gut trolls sway you. You and only you really know what you can do.
Let’s go ride!!

-RB
Old March 2nd 09, 02:52 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Peter Clinch

-RB wrote:

This kind of display is strange to me.

Then I guess you've not come across Ed before... He can't climb at all
well on his recumbent, so "therefore" nobody else can, as another example.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old March 2nd 09, 10:47 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
ATP*

"-RB" wrote in message

[...]

Ed, is that really you? Say it ain't so!

Sea to Shining Sea Support -RB Rides 1 March 17th 09 08:12 PM
Sea to Shining Sea Support -RB General 7 March 1st 09 11:31 PM
Sea to Shining Sea Support -RB Social Issues 1 February 23rd 09 12:32 PM
Another shining example of Henry! ST[_2_] Racing 9 September 9th 08 05:29 PM
Shining Bright American cars Red Cloud General 39 June 5th 04 02:34 PM