Red means stop, including cyclists

Old June 26th 13, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_3_]

Default Red means stop, including cyclists

he began to cross the road in front of the oncoming car while the pedestrian
crossing light was still on red. Last thing he did.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/new...clist_s_death/

Old June 26th 13, 12:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Partac[_10_]

"Mrcheerful" wrote in message ...

he began to cross the road in front of the oncoming car while the pedestrian
crossing light was still on red. Last thing he did.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/new...clist_s_death/

Not only did he jump a red light, he was also cycling across a pedestrian
crossing.

Would compulsory training followed by a formal test have made a difference?

Old June 26th 13, 01:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_3_]

Partac wrote:
"Mrcheerful" wrote in message ...

he began to cross the road in front of the oncoming car while the
pedestrian crossing light was still on red. Last thing he did.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/new...clist_s_death/

Not only did he jump a red light, he was also cycling across a
pedestrian crossing.

Would compulsory training followed by a formal test have made a
difference?

IIRC it is only zebras that cyclists have no priority on and should walk
their bikes across. Some light controlled crossings are intended for the
use of cyclists, and from the look of it, this one is on a cycle path.

Old June 26th 13, 02:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Squashme

On Wednesday, June 26, 2013 12:12:49 PM UTC+1, Mrcheerful wrote:
he began to cross the road in front of the oncoming car while the pedestrian

crossing light was still on red. Last thing he did.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/new...clist_s_death/

"he was hit by a Kia Picanto"
Is that an orange cocktail?

"The father-of-three of Bangor Grove, Darlington, was a keen cyclist and used to cycle to work every day at the Cleveland Bridge engineering firm, in Yarm Road, wearing a high visibility jacket and helmet."

So how come he was not immortal?
Old June 26th 13, 02:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Wednesday, 26 June 2013 12:12:49 UTC+1, Mrcheerful wrote:
he began to cross the road in front of the oncoming car while the pedestrian

crossing light was still on red. Last thing he did.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/new...clist_s_death/

I note that the speed limit on the road at that point is 40mph. I wonder if the coroner considered whether the deceased man would have been killed had the speed limit been 30, and rigorously enforced. 30mph is a more appropriate limit on that sort of road in a built up area.
Old June 26th 13, 03:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Weissel

On 26/06/2013 12:12, Mrcheerful wrote:
he began to cross the road in front of the oncoming car while the pedestrian
crossing light was still on red. Last thing he did.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/new...clist_s_death/

I tend to think that it better to look before you cross rather than
relying on lights. This guy made an error in that respect, regardless of
the green/red man.
Old June 26th 13, 03:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Weissel

On 26/06/2013 13:27, Mrcheerful wrote:
Partac wrote:
"Mrcheerful" wrote in message ...

he began to cross the road in front of the oncoming car while the
pedestrian crossing light was still on red. Last thing he did.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/new...clist_s_death/

Not only did he jump a red light, he was also cycling across a
pedestrian crossing.

Would compulsory training followed by a formal test have made a
difference?

IIRC it is only zebras that cyclists have no priority on and should walk
their bikes across. Some light controlled crossings are intended for the
use of cyclists, and from the look of it, this one is on a cycle path.

Regardless, when cycling over any crossing you need to be heads-up.
Old June 26th 13, 03:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Weissel

On 26/06/2013 14:55, wrote:
On Wednesday, 26 June 2013 12:12:49 UTC+1, Mrcheerful wrote:
he began to cross the road in front of the oncoming car while the pedestrian

crossing light was still on red. Last thing he did.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/new...clist_s_death/

I note that the speed limit on the road at that point is 40mph. I wonder if the coroner considered whether the deceased man

would have been killed had the speed limit been 30, and rigorously
enforced. 30mph is a more appropriate limit on that sort of road in a
built up area.

It astounds me how they allow these type of crossing where there is a
speed limit of over 30mph.
Old June 26th 13, 04:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mentalguy2k8[_2_]

"Simon Weissel" wrote in message
On 26/06/2013 14:55, wrote:
On Wednesday, 26 June 2013 12:12:49 UTC+1, Mrcheerful wrote:
he began to cross the road in front of the oncoming car while the
pedestrian

crossing light was still on red. Last thing he did.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/new...clist_s_death/

I note that the speed limit on the road at that point is 40mph. I wonder
if the coroner considered whether the deceased man

would have been killed had the speed limit been 30, and rigorously
enforced. 30mph is a more appropriate limit on that sort of road in a
built up area.

It astounds me how they allow these type of crossing where there is a
speed limit of over 30mph.

Indeed, there must have been hundreds of fatalities there.

Old June 26th 13, 04:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Piatkow

On Wednesday, June 26, 2013 12:12:49 PM UTC+1, Mrcheerful wrote:
he began to cross the road in front of the oncoming car while the pedestrian

crossing light was still on red. Last thing he did.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/new...clist_s_death/

Sloppy journalism, looking on Streetview the crossings at that junction are clearly Toucan crossings.