Piriformis syndrome and recumbents?

Old September 4th 03, 05:39 PM

Default Piriformis syndrome and recumbents?

I have been diagnosed with piriformis syndrome (a condition in which the
piriformis muscle becomes inflamed and impinges on the sciatic nerve bundle
causing considerable pain). The physical therapist said to see about a
different seat, position, etc. on my bike.

Any one have this experience and willing to share their experiences?

Chas
Haluzak Hybrid Race -- the inline wheelchair

Old September 4th 03, 07:37 PM
rorschandt

"Chas" wrote in

I have been diagnosed with piriformis syndrome (a condition in which
the piriformis muscle becomes inflamed and impinges on the sciatic
nerve bundle causing considerable pain). The physical therapist said
to see about a different seat, position, etc. on my bike.

Any one have this experience and willing to share their experiences?

Chas
Haluzak Hybrid Race -- the inline wheelchair

I know somone who has what sounds like a similar condition, and the only
bent seats that work for her are those that have a gap between the seat
back, and the base(BikeE, Rans, etc). A Haluzak mesh could probably be
modified for that particular problem.

Also maybe you need a wedgie (^; http://www.sacrowedgy.com/piriformis.htm

Old September 5th 03, 03:39 AM
Ben Fox

I pulled a muscle on the first ride on my Corsa with M-5 seat. The muscle
was on the back of my buttock and seems to fasten to the pelvic bone.
I was tryin g some back stretches someone on this N.G. posted a link to and
the stretch that really worked on my pulled muscle was for the piriformis
muscle.
So I may have the same muscle problem. I had this to a lessor extend with my
P-38 ,but the M-5 Euro seat must use this muscle more.
Ben Fox

Old November 17th 03, 08:58 PM
seavent

wrote in message news:fVJ5b.264-
@r wcrnsc53...
I have been diagnosed with piriformis syndrome (a condition in
which the piriformis muscle becomes inflamed and impinges on the
sciatic nerve

bundle
causing considerable pain). The physical therapist said to see about a
different seat, position, etc. on my bike.

Any one have this experience and willing to share their experiences?

Chas Haluzak Hybrid Race -- the inline wheelchair

I am not a doctor and certainly not an expert on piriformis problems. I
have, however, been diagnosed as having an overly tight piriformis
muscle in my left hip which can be quite painful at times. It has
bothered me while riding my RANS Rocket.

For some time now I have found relief by performing piriformis stretches
as outlined in an excellent book on stretching called:

The Stark Reality of Stretching" by Dr. Steven D. Stark

ISBN0968360718 $18.95

If Dr. Stark knows what he is talking about (and I believe he does based
upon the results I've obtained) many of the stretches commonly
prescribed for piriformis problems do more harm than good. His
stretches, on the other hand, have brought much welcomed relief to me!

Old November 18th 03, 04:50 AM

I have been diagnosed with piriformis syndrome (a condition in
which the piriformis muscle becomes inflamed and impinges on the
sciatic nerve

bundle
causing considerable pain). The physical therapist said to see about

different seat, position, etc. on my bike.

Any one have this experience and willing to share their experiences?

Chas Haluzak Hybrid Race -- the inline wheelchair

In the end, the diagnosis turned out to be wrong! After weeks of pain and
wrangling,
and multiple treatments, I finally got an MRI of the affected area. Turns
out that
I have 4 bulging disks in my lumbar region ;(

I got out on the bike Sunday for the first time in almost 3 months. I'm
amazed at
how sore 11.5 flat miles has left me. The sciatica made it pretty
uncomfortable
after 45 minutes or so, but so is sitting in the car, or at my desk for that
long. And
I don't have the wind in my face sitting at my desk.

Chas
Recovering very slowly

Old November 18th 03, 05:53 AM
Bill B

seavent wrote in message ...
Ben Fox wrote:
[...]

I posted a site not too long ago that has some excellent back
stretches and one of them is the piriformis stretch.Go to below
address and scroll down to see it. i do most of the stretches and find
that they do help make my back feel better.
Bill
http://www.1backpain.com/back_exercises.htm