Ice? Don't talk to me about ice...

Old January 15th 04, 10:04 AM
Steve Rumsby

Default Ice? Don't talk to me about ice...

Here I am, brain the size of a planet, and I can't even keep upright on my
own two wheels:-(

This week I finally got fed up of the apparent invisibility you acquire when
you only have two wheels, when somebody pulled out of a side road right in
front of me (and I mean right in front of me - I stopped with inches to
spare). I'm beter lit that most cyclists around here too. So, I decided to
go for some "serious" lights. I'm not a heavy duty cyclist - mostly just the
5 mile roud-trip commute - so I wasn't looking to spend a lot of money. I
found a promising looking 5w/10w Sigma Mirage set on sale (£38 - seems like
a bargain), ordered them Tuesday and they were delivered yesterday.

Last night, I strapped everything on the bike and took it out for a test.
The lights are fine. Everybody should see me coming now (so the theory
goes). But, cycling on a local side road on the way home, my rear wheel
caught some ice and decided it had had enough. Before I knew it, the bike
was sliding up the road with me following slightly behind it. No damage to
either, fortunately. My head didn't even come close to the ground, so I
can't claim my h*lm*t saved my life:-) At least I didn't break the new
lights...

Steve.

Old January 15th 04, 03:26 PM
Stoatboy

Ride with stabilizers

Glad yer ok, mind !

Old January 15th 04, 07:03 PM
Danny Colyer

Steve Rumsby wrote:
But, cycling on a local side road on the way home, my
rear wheel caught some ice and decided it had had enough. Before I
knew it, the bike was sliding up the road with me following slightly
behind it. No damage to either, fortunately.

Bummer. I broke my AirZound this morning when my bike disappeared from
underneath me. Fortunately, since I persuaded my wife that she needed
an AirZound on her bike, I've always had a spare ready in case mine
should get broken :-)

My head didn't even come
close to the ground, so I can't claim my h*lm*t saved my life:-) At
least I didn't break the new lights...

I landed on my arse. It's the first time I've lost a recumbent on ice.
It was a significantly different (and less painful) experience than
doing the same with a wedgie.

http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/

Old January 19th 04, 03:50 PM
Dave

I did a similar thing last week - came a cropper on a patch of ice - right
in front of some workmen who were having a tea break! No real damage done.

Also, on the way home I was passing parked cars when a Merc pulled out in
front of me from a side road. She was turning right so had a clear line of
sight - I had 2x 20W blaring on front and a bright yellow jacket (it was
dark - but there were streetlights). She told me (when I caught up at the
next junction) that I was invisible - I said she must be blind! She did
apologise though!

Ho hum!

The AirZound was a little flat so only squeaked!!

Dave