Tricks to learn after basic

Old April 27th 04, 08:42 PM
noclowns

Default Tricks to learn after basic

Well as you see i just subscribed to the forum. I can ride the unicycle
well forward (and to the left/right :P), and have tried to learn idling
and riding backwards. Now I have some questions.

I have seen these amazing unitrial videos. What I wonder is: firstly, do
u often get hurt? i mean like broken arms or legs or a tooth falling
out? Well, the falls look terrible ...
secondly, what tricks should I start with? That is if the whole thing
isnt too dangerous.

I don't have a trial unicycle (i have a normal 24 "), but i know there
are tricks that aren't ( or don't look ) that dangerous, I saw the video
of the Japanese woman doing some amazing stuff in some sort of a
competition. That doesnt look as dangerous as jumping up on 1 meter high
stairs or rocks. Or even worse - grind them down .

Well, I hope I get some advice from you (the forum users seem very
nice)

ps. and wow. now I have 20 mbs of free webspace

--
noclowns
noclowns's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6359

Old April 27th 04, 08:59 PM
gpickett00

I would say, learn all the stuff up to level 3 or 4, if you do trials or
freestyle. If you like stuff like jumping off picnic tables and grinding
go with trials. If you like more artsy stuff like figure skating style
go with freestyle. I perfer jumping off stuff and hopping on stairs.

--
gpickett00 - Level 3.7

Bicycle is just a short way of saying unicycle with a training wheel.
'Our unicycling videos' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Moiv)

gpickett00's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5654

Old April 28th 04, 12:56 AM
tennisgh22

the trials unicycling is not as dangerous as it looks. in fact, extreme
unicycling (trails/muni) is very safe as far as extreme sports go. you
almost always land on your feet. The bad falls in the videos are rare,
and *usually* not as bad as they look. they only included those crashing
clips cuz they impress the viewers. they're not everyday things. i have
yet to know of anyone that broke an arm or leg or lost a tooth
unicycling. im sure there are -some- , but its not a reason to never try
trials or muni.

if you can backwards and idle, i'd suggest to go the route of trials or
muni instead of freestyle. many will disagree, but i find freestyle not
as instense/fun/satisfying as muni or trials. its really your personal
preference, but try all of them.

first learn to hop in place, then once you feel comfortable with that
learn to hop up a curb, then hope up a set of 3 or 4 steps, then just
use your imagination. the sky is the limit. beware, its pretty easy to
get hooked.

however, if you choose the freestyle route, i would suggest learning a
kickup mount or wheel walking or one foot riding if you already idle and
go backwards.

-grant

--
tennisgh22

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a
capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety
labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
tennisgh22's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5771

Old April 28th 04, 12:59 AM
special_liz

I personally like learning new mounts as;
they are some fairly easy ones which look wicked
they hide the fact that you previously just screwed up when you were
showing off

Riding with the seat outfront/riding on your stomach/riding backwards
are all fairly easy once you get the hang of it and quite a few tricks
progress of those...

running stairs is also fun and you get some cool looks

have fun trying!

--
special_liz - Speshial Member
special_liz's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6254

Old April 28th 04, 03:45 AM
TheBadger587

idling is really, really, really important. riding backwards is a fun
show-off skill, and one-foot riding is useful for training to become a
more efficient all-around rider.

if you'd like to focus on MUni/trials, learn to hope in place, up curbs,
ride/hop seat in front and master those skills. if you'd rather do
freestyle just work your way up the skill level chart- focusing on
wheelwalking and new mounts. if you don't know what you want to
specalize in, work on everything. i like to use the skill level chart as
a guide to figgure out what to do next. your call.

--
TheBadger587 - Level 4

Well i Guess not the retarded ones... but how could you even say
something like that? jeez cleveland, there's edgy and then theres
offensive. Good day sir!
TheBadger587's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5576

Old April 28th 04, 01:36 PM
nickvb123

i ride freestyle and do very little trials (i don't wanna screw up my
uni plus freestyle rocks). After you've learnt to ride there are a
couple of tricks that can be learnt relatively quickly (after these
tricks become much harder and take a lot more time to learn eg wheel
walking). here is a list of tricks i think everyone should learn
regardless of type of unicycling they do

idling
idling 1 ft
backwards riding
1ft riding
stomach on seat (most pointless trick in the world but learn it
anyway...helps for seat out front i guess.)
seat out front
seat out back
seat on side

work on some basic trials as well

eg. hopping up/down curbs
build this up to stairs
hoping small "gaps"

From here choose what you enjoy most and branch into that i guess.

should be enough 2 keep you busy for while....enjoy

--
nickvb123 - Freestyle Freak

I think i'm going to kill the next person who mentions the word circus.
nickvb123's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5926

Old April 28th 04, 04:37 PM
Scott Kurland, RMT

tennisgh22 wrote:
the trials unicycling is not as dangerous as it looks. in fact,
extreme unicycling (trails/muni) is very safe as far as extreme
sports go. you almost always land on your feet. The bad falls in the
videos are rare, and *usually* not as bad as they look. they only
included those crashing clips cuz they impress the viewers. they're
not everyday things. i have yet to know of anyone that broke an arm
or leg or lost a tooth unicycling. im sure there are -some- , but its
not a reason to never try trials or muni.

Didn't Dustin Kelm (?) break himself going down stairs?

Old April 30th 04, 12:45 AM
dustin

Scott Kurland, RMT wrote:

Didn't Dustin Kelm (?) break himself going down stairs?

[/b]

yes

--
dustin - feeling good about myself & others

'dustin kelm' (http://www.dustin.kelm.com)
isa40:30.31

"You are only limited by your imagination."
dustin's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/920

Old April 30th 04, 08:36 AM
noclowns

Thank you for the help!