Saddle sore solutions?

Old July 31st 18, 05:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

Default Saddle sore solutions?

On Tuesday, July 31, 2018 at 11:29:39 AM UTC-4, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Tue, 31 Jul 2018 08:14:56 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Tue, 31 Jul 2018 11:37:14 +0700, John B. Slocomb
wrote:
I see bare plastic seats offered for sale here, and I do see them on
bikes so I'm not sure that the hardness of the seat surface is germane
to the problem. My Velo saddle for instance appears to have no
padding, or very little of it. Just the seat core with a layer of
vinyl over it.

If a hard thin saddle works, then it would be easy enough to vacuum
form a bicycle saddle. Almost any thermoplastic plastic can be used.
I guess ABS and acrylic would be the cheapest. Just make a butt mold,
drill full of holes for the vacuum lines, apply plastic sheet, heat
until soft, suck the plastic over the butt mold with a vacuum, trim
off the excess, deburr, and add a metal frame. Adding a vinyl cover
would reduce surface friction and make it easier to include
advertising content.

If you have access to a tracer mill:
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/attachments/f20/17699d1260010155-2-headed-tracer-mill-005.jpg
you can duplicate your favorite saddle in aluminum, plastic,
fiberglass, etc. Add hardware and you have a potential candidate for
a hard bicycle saddle.

My assumption is that IS how a great many bicycle seats, whether
padded or not, are manufactured.

I doubt vacuum forming is used to form the base. Probably injection molding.

- Frank Krygowski
Old July 31st 18, 08:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

https://www.amazon.com/QILEFU-Mounta...on+fiber&psc=1

They've been making molded saddles for a long time.

Prologo makes comfortable saddles.

You treat saddle sores by not getting them. This means that you have clean bicycle shorts to start with and remove them IMMEDIATELY from getting back from a ride.

Saddle sores are caused in general not by a hard saddle but by a mis-fitting saddle that can cause abrasions on the crotch. These are generally not serious but sitting around in these shorts after the ride allows the damp pad to grow a mold on the skin which is what causes the infection.

I treat a saddle sore with Neosporin.
Old July 31st 18, 09:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

John B. Slocomb wrote:

Yes, I've done them as well. And that's when
you start to think more about your gear.
This isn't to say that the inventory saddles
still shouldn't do for most people,
of course.

Why ever so?

"Bottom" line, I don't think people have that
different bodies. It is part of being normal
which by definition most people are.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Old July 31st 18, 10:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Tue, 31 Jul 2018 22:27:32 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

John B. Slocomb wrote:

Yes, I've done them as well. And that's when
you start to think more about your gear.
This isn't to say that the inventory saddles
still shouldn't do for most people,
of course.

Why ever so?

"Bottom" line, I don't think people have that
different bodies. It is part of being normal
which by definition most people are.

You mean that everyone wears the same size shoes? That everyone's pant
legs are the same length or that everyone's waist measurement is the
same?

It might be commented that the tallest individual was/is eight feet,
11 inches, tall and the shortest recorded was 21.5 inches that is a
difference of about 85 inches.
--

Cheers,

John B.
Old August 1st 18, 01:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Tue, 31 Jul 2018 22:29:35 +0700, John B. Slocomb
wrote:

My assumption is that IS how a great many bicycle seats, whether
padded or not, are manufactured.
http://www.madehow.com/Volume-7/Bicycle-Seat.html

That above article says that the shell is injection molded:
The hard plastic shell forms the foundation of the
bicycle seat. The contour of the saddle is rendered
in a metal mold... Whatever their configuration,
these seats are injection molded.

Vacuum forming has it's place, but you're making many such saddles,
injection molded plastic parts the much cheaper and faster to produce.

Note that the larger part of the secret is to make the seats in China
:-)

Yeah, I noticed. It costs less to make a finished product in China
than it does to buy the parts and components in the US. Grumble.

Old August 1st 18, 03:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 7/30/2018 11:20 PM, Doc O'Leary wrote:

The point isn’t to get anyone to stand for their entire ride. I can’t
even pretend I’d be able to do that. The point is to just get them to
think about *everything* that could be making bike riding less fun than
it could be. It might make a world of difference to go from putting
100% of your weight on your butt to 90% or 80% or whatever. Or, really,
just exercising the *option* to stand from time to time. Too many
people seem to think they’re just supposed to park their ass in the seat
and then put in the minimal amount of effort needed to make the pedals
go around. That’s certainly *a* way to ride a bike, but it is
unquestionably going to be a different experience from those who are
really pushing the bike to make it go faster.

Regarding standing from time to time: Back in the 1970s when I was just
beginning to ride avidly, I had lots of trouble getting comfortable on
the saddle. One friend who worked in a bike shop said "You need to post."

I asked "What's that?" and he replied "Stand up from time to time, like
a jockey does on a horse." I've never heard the word "post" used that
way, but I began doing it from time to time, and it definitely helps.

My wife has been having a little saddle discomfort on our tandem. After
a couple hours in the saddle, she asks if she can stand on some
downhills. It seems to help her.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old August 1st 18, 04:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Tue, 31 Jul 2018 22:41:15 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

[...]

Post isn't just standing from time to time, it is standing about half
the time. When a horse trots it is a very short pace and at a much
quicker interval then any other gate so what one does is (sort of)
stand up on (say) the odd step and sits down on the even. Which
smooth's things out considerably.
See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thpmgolDsbQ

A jockey, on the other hand rides in a semi standing position for the
entire race which allows him to better position his weight to help the
horse run.
..
--

Cheers,

John B.
Old August 1st 18, 08:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

wrote:

My assumption is that IS how a great many bicycle seats, whether
padded or not, are manufactured.
http://www.madehow.com/Volume-7/Bicycle-Seat.html

That above article says that the shell is injection molded:
The hard plastic shell forms the foundation of the
bicycle seat. The contour of the saddle is rendered
in a metal mold... Whatever their configuration,
these seats are injection molded.

Vacuum forming has it's place, but you're making many such saddles,
injection molded plastic parts the much cheaper and faster to produce.

Note that the larger part of the secret is to make the seats in China
:-)

Yeah, I noticed. It costs less to make a finished product in China
than it does to buy the parts and components in the US. Grumble.

Well, if wou are willing to accept a demestic economy similar to
China's you can do it too :-)

Here, for example, the minimum salary (nationally) is 300 baht, $9.01,
per day which is paid mostly to day labour.

--

Cheers,

John B.
Old August 1st 18, 12:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Mon, 30 Jul 2018 19:04:39 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Mon, 30 Jul 2018 17:47:45 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie
wrote:

The future is here.
https://www.sq-lab.com/en/sqlab-ergonomics/sqlab-concepts/sqlab-the-way-to-the-perfect-saddle.html

Bah Humbug. Too complexicated. All that is needed is to first
digitize the riders butt, clean up the lumps and bumps on a computah,
and make a plaster or urethane foam casting. The saddle is then
molded from the casting or machined from the digitized data, providing
a perfect fit that distributes the riders weight evenly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kwmif4HbhfE
Admittedly, it would look a bit strange, but the perfect saddle fit
would make the inevitable ridicule from other riders worth tolerating.
Once the perfect saddle has been built and tested, it's easy enough to
make additional identical saddles.

If that's not good enough, how about a bicycle "water saddle"? I used
to have a water bed until the cost of electricity and my worthless cat
stretching his claws, conspired to make it uneconomical and leaky. I
suspect a "water saddle" would be just as comfortable. It could also
double as a water bottle in an emergency.

If that's not good enough, perhaps a toilet seat (inspired) bicycle
saddle?
http://www.heraldtribune.com/news/20051011/toilet-seat-inspires-bicyclists-big-idea
https://www.ismseat.com

Ever tried pedaling a toilet seat?
Old August 1st 18, 02:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

Ah, I learned something. Thanks!

--
- Frank Krygowski

Saddle sore! eunie Unicycling 3 August 4th 08 06:34 PM
saddle sore - advice??? ilikebikes UK 13 March 11th 06 10:34 AM
odd saddle sore, sorta [email protected] General 8 May 17th 05 03:32 PM
saddle sore!!!! juggling_unicyclist_joe Unicycling 6 April 3rd 05 07:07 PM
Saddle sore Sb083459 General 4 April 9th 04 04:45 AM