700c 25mm tires on Weinmann ZAC19 rims ok?

Old January 25th 18, 04:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default 700c 25mm tires on Weinmann ZAC19 rims ok?

On Wednesday, January 24, 2018 at 10:03:58 PM UTC-8, Tosspot wrote:
On 25/01/18 02:04, John B. wrote:
On Wed, 24 Jan 2018 09:30:37 -0800, Joerg
wrote:

snip

In that case I'd buy a new trekking bike with steel frame. However,
as I said before the missus will then insist on getting rid of my
trusty old 1982 road bike and I just can't part with that, yet.

Why in the world would you listen to your wife regarding the number
and type of bicycles you own? Doe she listen to you when she wants
(needs) new kitchen utensils?

Exactly as long as you can maintain the relationship

NB NW

Where NB is the Number of Bikes and NW is the Number of [ex]Wives you
should be fine!

Joerg would have three bikes, which is not like bike hoarding or time for an intervention. It was time for an intervention when he used a hose clamp to secure his headset and came to the conclusion that a mid-fi club racer from the '80s is a suitable cargo bike, although incapable of taking any tire bigger than probably 25mm. My CX commuter is more suited to the purpose -- free warranty frame (aluminum) and scrap 9sp drive train and parts from its predecessor.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old January 25th 18, 04:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-01-24 22:57, John B. wrote:

wrote:

snip

In that case I'd buy a new trekking bike with steel frame. However,
as I said before the missus will then insist on getting rid of my
trusty old 1982 road bike and I just can't part with that, yet.

Why in the world would you listen to your wife regarding the number
and type of bicycles you own? Doe she listen to you when she wants
(needs) new kitchen utensils?

Exactly as long as you can maintain the relationship

NB NW

Where NB is the Number of Bikes and NW is the Number of [ex]Wives you
should be fine!

Actually the division of home management dates back to caveman days.

We have come a long way since the cave man days. It has gone as far as
Japanese women actually doing all the financial stuff and investing,
something that is typically done by men.

The owner of a painting and remodeling business once told me "I never
carry any cash. If I need any I ask my wife and she gives me some".

The Husband killed the buffalos and dragged them home while the wife
chopped them up and cooked.

My buffaloes come in the form of checks and the mail carrier drags them
home.

... Logically if the husband wanted a new
spear it would be justified and equally logical any new stew pots that
the wife wanted were equally justified.

Sure yet there are limits. If Fred had so many speers that Wilma can't
sqeeze past the entry way or Wilma had so many stew pots that Fred can't
get to the beer stash there'd soon be marital issues.

I've got three bikes and my wife has one. Plus a lot of tires and such
hanging from the rafters.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old January 25th 18, 04:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-01-24 17:26, John B. wrote:
On Wed, 24 Jan 2018 09:33:13 -0800, Joerg

On 2018-01-22 14:55, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, January 22, 2018 at 2:25:46 PM UTC-8, Joerg wrote:
On 21/01/18 22:18, Gregory Sutter wrote:

You might look for wheels with double-butted spokes; they will
be stronger and you'll break fewer spokes!

Problem is, I can't exceed 130mm between the dropouts for the wheel
and even that's a stretch (the frame is 126mm). This limits the
selection of ready-to-go wheels.

I does? The non-disc road standard is still 130mm. There are tons of
wheels out there for 130mm spaced frames,

I meant with 12g SS spokes.

There's effectively no such thing as 12 gauge spokes; even
Wheelsmith's "downhill" spokes are 13-14-13g.

Take your nice 600 hub, use name-brand 14-15-14g spokes, select an
asymmetric rim, have a person who builds wheels all the time make it
up for you, and you'll have a fine quality rear wheel that should
last you a long time.

The hub is old and the surfaces where the bearing balls roll on in there
are equally old. I don't think sinking much effort into that is worth
it. I've got time and I am pretty sure I can find a read wheel that fits
the bill most of the way.

Yes, I've done that. Used a ****ty old hub and some second hand
spokes.... ended up with a pretty lousy wheel too.

If you are going to build a wheel for actual use, i.e., not hanging on
a gate, why not spend the money and get quality components. A quick
look seems to show that a hub and spokes cost in the region of $100
and a rim (700C) is cheap. Alex is selling welded, grommeted, offset,
MTB rims quite cheaply these days.

If I can't find a complete wheel I'll have to go that route.

Or maybe a solid Mag wheel for less then $100
https://tinyurl.com/yan7qvuo

I'd break those in a jiffy.

Old January 26th 18, 02:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

snip

In that case I'd buy a new trekking bike with steel frame. However,
as I said before the missus will then insist on getting rid of my
trusty old 1982 road bike and I just can't part with that, yet.

Why in the world would you listen to your wife regarding the number
and type of bicycles you own? Doe she listen to you when she wants
(needs) new kitchen utensils?

Exactly as long as you can maintain the relationship

NB NW

Where NB is the Number of Bikes and NW is the Number of [ex]Wives you
should be fine!

Actually the division of home management dates back to caveman days.

We have come a long way since the cave man days. It has gone as far as
Japanese women actually doing all the financial stuff and investing,
something that is typically done by men.

I hate to tell you but having lived for some ten years in Japan and
spent some time studying the history and customs of the country of the
country the fact that Japanese women, in many cases, manage the
family's finances, is perfectly normal in a country where the sole
duty of the male member's of the family is to fight in the Shogun's
army.

The owner of a painting and remodeling business once told me "I never
carry any cash. If I need any I ask my wife and she gives me some".

The Husband killed the buffalos and dragged them home while the wife
chopped them up and cooked.

My buffaloes come in the form of checks and the mail carrier drags them
home.

The description was intended to be allegory in nature indicating that
the male goes out into the world to "earn a living" while your example
seems to indicate that you are obtaining money without working. One
can only assume that you are entitled to some sort of social payment
scheme that allows you to sit at home making beer rather then being
gainfully employed.

... Logically if the husband wanted a new
spear it would be justified and equally logical any new stew pots that
the wife wanted were equally justified.

Sure yet there are limits. If Fred had so many speers that Wilma can't
sqeeze past the entry way or Wilma had so many stew pots that Fred can't
get to the beer stash there'd soon be marital issues.

I've got three bikes and my wife has one. Plus a lot of tires and such
hanging from the rafters.

You example is flawed. I own four bikes while my wife owns non. Both
parties being quite satisfied with their status.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old January 26th 18, 03:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On 2018-01-23 17:50, Gregory Sutter wrote:
On 2018-01-22, Joerg wrote:
On 2018-01-22 14:55, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

I can't comment on MTB wheels but two years, or so, ago I bought a set
of the cheapest Shimano road wheels to temporarily substitute for a
pair of light weight (higher priced) wheels that had developed the
"wobbles".

I re-spoked the light weight wheels and they are still sitting in the
shop as the "cheap" Shimano wheels are still going strong.

(It is a hell of a life when even the "cheap crap" doesn't fail :-)

Old January 26th 18, 05:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-01-24 22:57, John B. wrote:

[...]

The Husband killed the buffalos and dragged them home while the wife
chopped them up and cooked.

My buffaloes come in the form of checks and the mail carrier drags them
home.

The description was intended to be allegory in nature indicating that
the male goes out into the world to "earn a living" while your example
seems to indicate that you are obtaining money without working. One
can only assume that you are entitled to some sort of social payment
scheme that allows you to sit at home making beer rather then being
gainfully employed.

You really have a talent in premature judgement, firing off without
knowing anything from the other side. I perform engineering services for
clients. Electronic circuit design. For that, they pay me.

... Logically if the husband wanted a new
spear it would be justified and equally logical any new stew pots that
the wife wanted were equally justified.

Sure yet there are limits. If Fred had so many speers that Wilma can't
sqeeze past the entry way or Wilma had so many stew pots that Fred can't
get to the beer stash there'd soon be marital issues.

I've got three bikes and my wife has one. Plus a lot of tires and such
hanging from the rafters.

You example is flawed. I own four bikes while my wife owns non. Both
parties being quite satisfied with their status.

You probably have less other stuff in the garage. Ours is quite full,
tough to squeeze in an additional bike. Also, it isn't really needed.

Old January 26th 18, 05:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-01-23 17:50, Gregory Sutter wrote:
On 2018-01-22, Joerg wrote:
On 2018-01-22 14:55, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

That's what I am looking for. However, they must tolerate my weight plus
cargo. I believe 29er MTB rims are the same diameter as road bike rims
so that may be an option if I have to build my own wheel. To heck with
all this weight weenie stuff. On my MTB the rims are wider but not by a
whole lot. Only problem is many are for disc brakes only.

Old January 27th 18, 01:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On 2018-01-24 22:57, John B. wrote:

[...]

The Husband killed the buffalos and dragged them home while the wife
chopped them up and cooked.

My buffaloes come in the form of checks and the mail carrier drags them
home.

The description was intended to be allegory in nature indicating that
the male goes out into the world to "earn a living" while your example
seems to indicate that you are obtaining money without working. One
can only assume that you are entitled to some sort of social payment
scheme that allows you to sit at home making beer rather then being
gainfully employed.

You really have a talent in premature judgement, firing off without
knowing anything from the other side. I perform engineering services for
clients. Electronic circuit design. For that, they pay me.

Or, as I said "the male goes out into the world to "earn a living".
Your example of sitting in the house the money just floating in the
door sounds more like some sort of social system when one gets paid
for not working.

... Logically if the husband wanted a new
spear it would be justified and equally logical any new stew pots that
the wife wanted were equally justified.

Sure yet there are limits. If Fred had so many speers that Wilma can't
sqeeze past the entry way or Wilma had so many stew pots that Fred can't
get to the beer stash there'd soon be marital issues.

I've got three bikes and my wife has one. Plus a lot of tires and such
hanging from the rafters.

You example is flawed. I own four bikes while my wife owns non. Both
parties being quite satisfied with their status.

You probably have less other stuff in the garage. Ours is quite full,
tough to squeeze in an additional bike. Also, it isn't really needed.

Less stuff in garage? Hardly.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old January 27th 18, 01:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On 2018-01-23 17:50, Gregory Sutter wrote:
On 2018-01-22, Joerg wrote:
On 2018-01-22 14:55, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Weight Weenie is now out dated and the current battle cry is "heavy
don't matter if it is streamlined".
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old January 27th 18, 04:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 2018-01-25 17:57, John B. wrote:

You example is flawed. I own four bikes while my wife owns non. Both
parties being quite satisfied with their status.

You probably have less other stuff in the garage. Ours is quite full,
tough to squeeze in an additional bike. Also, it isn't really needed.

The "bike storage" corner of our basement is 70" x 71" x 96" high. I
have seven bikes packed in there. One's a tandem. Careful planning can
pack a lot of stuff in a small space.

One more bike, the quick-access utility 3-speed, leans elsewhere closer
to the door.

Then there are my wife's mountain bike (now never used - I should give
it away) plus two kid's bikes and an extra folding bike. Those are
tucked away elsewhere, but still easily accessible.

Yeah, it's nuts.

--
- Frank Krygowski