First Time Trial ... kinda (long)

Old June 21st 04, 01:54 AM
psycholist

Default First Time Trial ... kinda (long)

I just had to write about this. An acquaintance asked me to do the bike leg
for a relay team he was putting together for a local Olympic-distance
triathlon. He wanted to win, so I don't know why he asked me. I'm 48 and a
dedicated roadie, but I've only done one TT previously in my life and that
was years ago on a standard road bike. The result wasn't impressive.

But I said yes. I borrowed a friend's Cervelo PK3 early in the week and put
about 120 miles on it over the course of several days ... to get used to the
feel and the gears. Those little DA shifters at the end of the aerobars are
just awesome. I always thought they were friction shifters, but they click
into each gear very precisely, or you can just hammer on it and shift all
the way across the cassette. Very cool.

I got used to the bike far easier than I thought I would. Yesterday I drove
to the course and did a preview ride on the bike with the race wheels (Zipps
.... disc in back). It was sweltering and humid. The course turned out to
be rather technical. Lots of turns. A couple of jaunts down roads where
you just turn around at a driveway and go back the way you came. Two passes
through this small town. Lots of rolling hills. But the worst feature was
the start. It was 7 miles of gradual uphill and it was all dead into a
headwind. By the time I finished that 7 mile stretch of the preview ride, I
thought I was really in for a sufferfest. I just rolled on through the
course making note of everything and got around in about 1:11.

So today was race day. The swimmer on my team started in the second wave
and, by the time he reached the transition zone, about 25 people were out on
the road ahead of me. Of course, almost all of those folks had already swum
and would do a 6 mile run after they rode, so they were holding something in
reserve. Not me. I went out blazing. The wind was 180 degrees opposite of
yesterday. It was a tailwind up that 7 mile rise. I managed to pass all
but about 7 riders (guys who got out several minutes ahead of me). It was
just the coolest feeling to bomb down the road on one of these tricked-out
time trial machines (and believe me ... it doesn't get much better than a
Cervelo PK3 with Zipps). I never really thought I'd have that opportunity
and I was almost tempted to revert to my road bike. But once I got out
there ... well, I hate to say it ... I was Lance. "He's coming down the
finishing straight like a grand prix motorcar!"

As I passed the 15 mile mark I glance at my computer and saw 2 hours and 3
minutes. Hmmmm. Forgot to reset my computer. So I don't know my split
yet. I think it was about 1:05 for 40K. Given my age and the technical
nature of the course, I was quite happy. I woulda made the the podium for
my age group at the state TT championships last week. I think any attempt
on my part to go harder would have been offset at some later point by dead
legs. I wasn't dead at the end, but I don't know how I could have gone much
harder. But the hour seemed like it lasted 10 minutes. I couldn't believe
how much fun it was.

I know this isn't everyone's cup off tea, but if you ever get the chance to
try something like this ... go for it. I'm really glad I did. Oh ... and
we won the relay division. Our runner did a 34 minute 10K which was quite
impressive. Still, one individual beat our relay time by one minute. WOW!

Bob C.

Old June 21st 04, 02:12 AM
Badger_South

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 20:54:35 -0400, "psycholist"
wrote:

I know this isn't everyone's cup off tea, but if you ever get the chance to
try something like this ... go for it. I'm really glad I did. Oh ... and
we won the relay division. Our runner did a 34 minute 10K which was quite
impressive. Still, one individual beat our relay time by one minute. WOW!

Bob C.

Whoo-hoo, Bob. Uh, well, if you could just repost this but make it like
three times as long and more detailed, I'm sure I could have just as much a
rush as I did the first time, maybe even two. g

Bet ya don't wanna give -that- bike back to your friend, eh?

-Badger
(that was gr-r-reat, man. good job for any age)

Old June 21st 04, 03:00 AM
psycholist

wrote:

I know this isn't everyone's cup off tea, but if you ever get the chance

try something like this ... go for it. I'm really glad I did. Oh ...

and
we won the relay division. Our runner did a 34 minute 10K which was

quite
impressive. Still, one individual beat our relay time by one minute.

WOW!

Bob C.

Whoo-hoo, Bob. Uh, well, if you could just repost this but make it like
three times as long and more detailed, I'm sure I could have just as much

rush as I did the first time, maybe even two. g

Bet ya don't wanna give -that- bike back to your friend, eh?

-Badger
(that was gr-r-reat, man. good job for any age)

I'm kinda pumped ... can ya tell?

Old June 21st 04, 10:07 AM
Andrew Price

"psycholist" wrote

I know this isn't everyone's cup off tea, but if you ever get the chance

try something like this ... go for it. I'm really glad I did.

Bob -

if you thought that was fun, try a team time trial in your age group.

getting 4 riders of similar ability down the road all working well
together - that's a feeling that needs to be experienced.

fun for one, much more with four...

best, Andrew

(remove the .x1 to reply)

Old June 21st 04, 11:18 AM
Roger Zoul

psycholist wrote:
:: I just had to write about this. An acquaintance asked me to do the
:: bike leg for a relay team he was putting together for a local
:: Olympic-distance triathlon. He wanted to win, so I don't know why
:: he asked me. I'm 48 and a dedicated roadie, but I've only done one
:: TT previously in my life and that was years ago on a standard road
:: bike. The result wasn't impressive.
::
[...]

Sounds cool, Lance!

Old June 21st 04, 07:12 PM
.o0 0o.

I used to live in a town with quite a few tri-atheltes. On Tuesday and
Thursday I would go with the hardcore roadies and get 30-40 miles of
hard riding in. But on Wednesday there were time trials. Usually 10
miles but I was one of the few pure roadies that would show up. And I
would show up on my standard road bike. No disc wheels, no aero bars,
just me in the drops for 10 miles. This was on the coast so it was dead
flat except for the start/finish which was about a 15ft descent over 1/8
mile at the start and opposite for the finish. And it WAS FUN! Going
like crazy giving it all I had for 10 miles. Passing the slower riders
and trying to keep up with the faster ones. It felt much more like a
race than any other day of the week. I was at those time trials every
week. You brought back some good memories!
Old June 22nd 04, 12:22 AM
psycholist

"psycholist" wrote in message

Forgot to reset my computer. So I don't know my split
yet. I think it was about 1:05 for 40K.

I just got the actual time from the race website. It was 1:03:27. That's a
23.6 mph average. Considering you have to walk through this timing device
to start your time and then clip in and ride off ... then dismount and walk
through the timing device again at the end, I'm sure that could have been
even better in a pure time trial where I could have sprinted for the finish.

Anyway, thanks to those of you who indulged me by reading my epistle and who
wrote the nice replies

Bob C.