Oculus reaches 3000 lumens

Old August 20th 17, 12:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Barry Beams

Default Oculus reaches 3000 lumens

If you already have an Oculus 1500 of 1800, you notice that one side of the circuit board has footprints for compe
Old August 20th 17, 02:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Barry Beams

On Saturday, August 19, 2017 at 4:44:45 PM UTC-7, Barry Beams wrote:
If you already have an Oculus 1500 or 1800, you notice that one side of the circuit board has footprints for components that aren't populated.

That was done hoping to get to build higher power lights if I got the chance and the right LEDs became available. Fast forward a few years...
Combine the freshest Cree XPL-HI with building out the driver to four channels and revised firmware, and the Oculus 3000 is now the wildest self contained bike light or flashlight you could imaging biking or going on duty with. The lower outputs of L2 - 4 are the same as L3- 5 on the 1800, but with ~15% longer burn times for each brightness. L1 is double the output of L1 on the 1800, ~140lm, but with ~25 hours burn time.

Old August 20th 17, 05:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Saturday, August 19, 2017 at 9:02:03 PM UTC-4, Barry Beams wrote:
On Saturday, August 19, 2017 at 4:44:45 PM UTC-7, Barry Beams wrote:
If you already have an Oculus 1500 or 1800, you notice that one side of the circuit board has footprints for components that aren't populated.

That was done hoping to get to build higher power lights if I got the chance and the right LEDs became available. Fast forward a few years...
Combine the freshest Cree XPL-HI with building out the driver to four channels and revised firmware, and the Oculus 3000 is now the wildest self contained bike light or flashlight you could imaging biking or going on duty with. The lower outputs of L2 - 4 are the same as L3- 5 on the 1800, but with ~15% longer burn times for each brightness. L1 is double the output of L1 on the 1800, ~140lm, but with ~25 hours burn time.

3000 lumens?

Why?

- Frank Krygowski
Old August 20th 17, 09:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sat, 19 Aug 2017 21:50:57 -0700 (PDT), Frank Krygowski
wrote:

[...]

Come on Frank. Don't you know that really high intensity bicycle
lights not only keep you safe but also give you that all over warm and
comfy feeling?

I'd reckon that if one had a really, really, bright, flashing, front
and rear light AND a helmet why, he/she/it would be nearly immortal.

(notice how politically correct I am. I used to say "he" or "Her" but
as I read in the news that a number of the Stated now have three
sexes, male, female and "X" I have had to change my ways)

Old August 20th 17, 09:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Saturday, August 19, 2017 at 9:51:00 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Why not? My amplifier goes to 11. I'm sure I'll see these on the cycletrack in South Waterfront. I'm getting one of those giant foam hands to swat people. https://goimprints.s3.amazonaws.com/...ger-hand-1.jpg

-- Jay Beattie

Old August 21st 17, 03:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 8/19/2017 6:01 PM, Barry Beams wrote:
On Saturday, August 19, 2017 at 4:44:45 PM UTC-7, Barry Beams wrote:
If you already have an Oculus 1500 or 1800, you notice that one side of the circuit board has footprints for components that aren't populated.

That was done hoping to get to build higher power lights if I got the chance and the right LEDs became available. Fast forward a few years...
Combine the freshest Cree XPL-HI with building out the driver to four channels and revised firmware, and the Oculus 3000 is now the wildest self contained bike light or flashlight you could imaging biking or going on duty with. The lower outputs of L2 - 4 are the same as L3- 5 on the 1800, but with ~15% longer burn times for each brightness. L1 is double the output of L1 on the 1800, ~140lm, but with ~25 hours burn time.

I guess there's no downside other than slightly higher component costs,
but are 3000 lumens needed very often?

What's the run-time on the highest setting? I can see an occasional need
for the higher output, at high speed in unlit areas, but in my
experience 1500 lumens has been just about right for commuting, even on
unlit multi-use paths.

Will you be at Interbike?

---

Old August 21st 17, 03:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 8/20/2017 1:25 PM, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

All of a sudden there are a bunch of self-contained lights of sufficient
brightness and reasonably priced. Oculus ($150), CatEye Volt 1600
($176), and Lezyne Deca Drive 1500xx ($90).

I prefer lights without a separate battery pack, even though the
run-time is shorter, and with the Oculus you can carry an extra battery.,

---

Old August 21st 17, 07:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 20/08/17 11:01, Barry Beams wrote:
On Saturday, August 19, 2017 at 4:44:45 PM UTC-7, Barry Beams wrote:
If you already have an Oculus 1500 or 1800, you notice that one
side of the circuit board has footprints for components that aren't
populated.

That was done hoping to get to build higher power lights if I got the
chance and the right LEDs became available. Fast forward a few
years... Combine the freshest Cree XPL-HI with building out the
driver to four channels and revised firmware, and the Oculus 3000 is
now the wildest self contained bike light or flashlight you could
imaging biking or going on duty with. The lower outputs of L2 - 4
are the same as L3- 5 on the 1800, but with ~15% longer burn times
for each brightness. L1 is double the output of L1 on the 1800,
~140lm, but with ~25 hours burn time.

Interestingly the CREE specifications

http://www.cree.com/led-components/products/xlamp-leds-discrete/xlamp-xp-l-high-intensity

mention "Max Light Output (lm) 1095 lm"

Accordingly I conclude there are at least 3 LEDs in your flashlight.

--
JS
Old August 22nd 17, 04:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 8/20/2017 11:16 PM, James wrote:

snip

mention "Max Light Output (lm) 1095 lm"

Accordingly I conclude there are at least 3 LEDs in your flashlight.

The high power lights have had to move to multiple LEDs, both for the
greater illumination and for thermal management. Most have a temperature
sensor as well, which reduces the current through the LED if the
temperature is too high.

---