Taking this group back...

Old August 31st 13, 11:56 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Andy Watson

Default Taking this group back...

In article ,
Tosspot wrote:

On 30/08/13 21:49, Andy Watson wrote:
In article 20130830202447.7a292bf8@hyperion,
Rob Morley wrote:

On Fri, 30 Aug 2013 18:56:05 +0100
brianrob1961 wrote:

Is there any point in trying to take this group back? How many people
on here would like to do so? In my opinion it would mean all people
of goodwill on here creating and using a common killfile and then
signing all posts with a list of killfiled names for other people to
follow. Would it work? The group seemed to work a lot better for me
just by the removal of two people. And they are not even the worst
spreaders of anti cycling hate on here.

OK

Ditto. Henceforth plonking 'Mr Cheerful', 'JNugent', 'partac', 'John
Benn', 'Mentalguy', and anyone else who shows himself to be a troll.

Not Judith? Her rantings are funny but she does go on so.

'She' is not a 'she'. And yes, 'she' is now in the killfile.
Old August 31st 13, 12:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
bod

On 31/08/2013 11:51, Peter Keller wrote:
On Fri, 30 Aug 2013 18:56:05 +0100, brianrob1961 wrote:

Is there any point in trying to take this group back? How many people on
here would like to do so? In my opinion it would mean all people of
goodwill on here creating and using a common killfile and then signing
all posts with a list of killfiled names for other people to follow.
Would it work? The group seemed to work a lot better for me just by the
removal of two people. And they are not even the worst spreaders of anti
cycling hate on here.

I would like to take the group back.

It's simple enough to just ignore unpleasant or off topic posts, shirley?
Old August 31st 13, 01:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Sat, 31 Aug 2013 10:51:03 +0000 (UTC)
Peter Keller wrote:

On Fri, 30 Aug 2013 18:56:05 +0100, brianrob1961 wrote:

Is there any point in trying to take this group back? How many
people on here would like to do so? In my opinion it would mean all
people of goodwill on here creating and using a common killfile and
then signing all posts with a list of killfiled names for other
people to follow. Would it work? The group seemed to work a lot
better for me just by the removal of two people. And they are not
even the worst spreaders of anti cycling hate on here.

I would like to take the group back.

So stop responding to silly and tedious posters, because you're never
going to "win" those arguments, no matter how "right" you are. Either
ignore them or use a killfile. Post on-topic discussion. It was a few
"cycling advocates", who found themselves unable to ignore trolls, that
made this group such a mess in the first place. There's no need to
organise a "reclaim the group" campaign, just exercise a little
self-restraint. Or carry on wrestling trolls, but don't expect anyone
to want a sensible discussion with you.

Old August 31st 13, 03:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Saturday, 31 August 2013 13:57:35 UTC+1, Rob Morley wrote:

So stop responding to silly and tedious posters, because you're never

going to "win" those arguments, no matter how "right" you are. Either

ignore them or use a killfile. Post on-topic discussion. It was a few

"cycling advocates", who found themselves unable to ignore trolls, that

made this group such a mess in the first place. There's no need to

organise a "reclaim the group" campaign, just exercise a little

self-restraint. Or carry on wrestling trolls, but don't expect anyone

to want a sensible discussion with you.

WHS. Although the local specimens do seem to have impressive energy, trolls can't keep going on alone forever. They thrive here because too many people are congenitally incapable of letting it go.
FWIW, I don't think urcm is an improvement. Bit like moving from Damascus to Pyongyang.
Old August 31st 13, 04:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mentalguy2k8[_2_]

"brianrob1961" wrote in message
Is there any point in trying to take this group back? How many people on
here would like to do so? In my opinion it would mean all people of
goodwill on here creating and using a common killfile and then signing all
posts with a list of killfiled names for other people to follow. Would it
work? The group seemed to work a lot better for me just by the removal of
two people. And they are not even the worst spreaders of anti cycling hate
on here.

What about all the anti-motorist hate, what do you propose to do about that?
Hate is hate after all, and it breeds hate. What about the anti-motorist
taunting eg "here's a nice new cycle lane that motorists paid for"? What
about the frequent abusive filth posted by cyclists?

If you want to "take the group back" then the first place to start is by
discouraging and condemning all kinds of "anti-ism" no matter who it's from
or who it's against, not just condemning the prejudice and the posters that
*you* personally don't like. With such a partisan attitude and massive blind
spot you might as well apply to become a moderator on the original UKRCM.

Old August 31st 13, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

On 30/08/2013 18:56, brianrob1961 wrote:
Is there any point in trying to take this group back? How many people on
here would like to do so? In my opinion it would mean all people of
goodwill on here creating and using a common killfile and then signing
all posts with a list of killfiled names for other people to follow.
Would it work? The group seemed to work a lot better for me just by the
removal of two people. And they are not even the worst spreaders of anti
cycling hate on here.

why not encourage positive posting?
Old August 31st 13, 09:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
brianrob1961

On 31/08/2013 15:02, wrote:
On Saturday, 31 August 2013 13:57:35 UTC+1, Rob Morley wrote:

So stop responding to silly and tedious posters, because you're never

going to "win" those arguments, no matter how "right" you are. Either

ignore them or use a killfile. Post on-topic discussion. It was a few

"cycling advocates", who found themselves unable to ignore trolls, that

made this group such a mess in the first place. There's no need to

organise a "reclaim the group" campaign, just exercise a little

self-restraint. Or carry on wrestling trolls, but don't expect anyone

to want a sensible discussion with you.

WHS. Although the local specimens do seem to have impressive energy, trolls can't keep going on alone forever. They thrive here because too many people are congenitally incapable of letting it go.
FWIW, I don't think urcm is an improvement. Bit like moving from Damascus to Pyongyang.

Yes they can keep on forever. We need a more proactive approach than to
simply believe they will go away. I am working on ideas. It won't work,
as in the Trolls won't go away, but a simple set of suggestions,
guidance and a list of them will help to isolate their behaviour.
Needless to say, some posters will continue to engage with the. Deal
them similarly.
Old August 31st 13, 09:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nick[_4_]

On 30/08/2013 21:38, Rob Morley wrote:

brianrob1961 wrote:

Is there any point in trying to take this group back? How many
people on here would like to do so? In my opinion it would mean
all people of goodwill on here creating and using a common
killfile and then signing all posts with a list of killfiled
names for other people to follow. Would it work? The group seemed
to work a lot better for me just by the removal of two people.
And they are not even the worst spreaders of anti cycling hate on
here.

OK

Ditto. Henceforth plonking 'Mr Cheerful', 'JNugent', 'partac', 'John
Benn', 'Mentalguy', and anyone else who shows himself to be a troll.

I think perhaps you missed my point.

I missed it too. What was it?

Old August 31st 13, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nick[_4_]

On 31/08/2013 21:29, brianrob1961 wrote:

WHS. Although the local specimens do seem to have impressive energy,
trolls can't keep going on alone forever. They thrive here because too
many people are congenitally incapable of letting it go.
FWIW, I don't think urcm is an improvement. Bit like moving from
Damascus to Pyongyang.

Yes they can keep on forever. We need a more proactive approach than to
simply believe they will go away. I am working on ideas. It won't work,
as in the Trolls won't go away, but a simple set of suggestions,
guidance and a list of them will help to isolate their behaviour.
Needless to say, some posters will continue to engage with the. Deal
them similarly.

I'm with you. I think a recommended kill file list posted to the group
once a month, with the individuals on it discussed and approved by
majority poster response would be a good idea and a great piece of fun.

I would certainly add my support to Pounder's request for a place on the
list. Otherwise it seems a pretty reasonable start.

We could even come up with the idea of temporary naughty step inclusion
on the list for posters who reply too much to shunned posters.

It could be like a anarchistic version of urcm ;o)

Old August 31st 13, 11:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

On Fri, 30 Aug 2013 18:56:05 +0100, brianrob1961 wrote:

Is there any point in trying to take this group back? How many people on
here would like to do so? In my opinion it would mean all people of
goodwill on here creating and using a common killfile and then signing
all posts with a list of killfiled names for other people to follow.
Would it work? The group seemed to work a lot better for me just by the
removal of two people. And they are not even the worst spreaders of anti
cycling hate on here.

I disagree: I don't think people kill-filing Crispin and ANOther would make
any difference. I am unsure who is the second person you are talking about.