How many cyclists have been killed by their helmets?

Old September 14th 13, 09:24 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

Default How many cyclists have been killed by their helmets?

I cannot find any figures for this, it is often claimed that 'foam hats
kill, so can anyone point to any cases? Road cyclist kiled because his
helmet killed him?
Old September 14th 13, 09:28 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
brianrob1961

On 14/09/2013 09:24, Mrcheerful wrote:
I cannot find any figures for this, it is often claimed that 'foam hats
kill, so can anyone point to any cases? Road cyclist kiled because his
helmet killed him?

You really are a pitiful and sick individual, aren't you? You are sat at
your computer researching the deaths of people for no other reason than
your own spite and a burning desire to prevent people cycling.
Old September 14th 13, 10:09 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bertie Wooster[_2_]

On Sat, 14 Sep 2013 09:24:27 +0100, Mrcheerful
wrote:

I cannot find any figures for this, it is often claimed that 'foam hats
kill, so can anyone point to any cases? Road cyclist kiled because his
helmet killed him?

I think that the idea of killer helmets is something put about by the
anti helmet brigade as a possibility. While we can imagine all sorts
of improbable scenarios of helmets killing cyclists, the likelihood of
them doing so (or having done so) is remote.

However, my position is this. The health benefits of regular cycling
outweigh the risk by so much that not cycling can be considered more
dangerous than cycling whether cyclists wear helmets or not. If cycle
helmets were to be made compulsory, it is likely that many people, as
has happened elsewhere in the world, would simply stop cycling. Less
cycling suggests more premature deaths, and so it could be claimed
that cycle helmets would lead to a great many premature deaths. The
idea of "killer helmets" does not then appear to be so ridiculous.
Old September 14th 13, 01:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Parry

On Sat, 14 Sep 2013 10:09:15 +0100, Bertie Wooster
wrote:

However, my position is this. The health benefits of regular cycling
outweigh the risk by so much that not cycling can be considered more
dangerous than cycling whether cyclists wear helmets or not. If cycle
helmets were to be made compulsory, it is likely that many people, as
has happened elsewhere in the world, would simply stop cycling. Less
cycling suggests more premature deaths, and so it could be claimed
that cycle helmets would lead to a great many premature deaths. The
idea of "killer helmets" does not then appear to be so ridiculous.

It remains ridiculous when you remember that for most bicycle riders
the health benefits are minimal or none. The significant benefit, as
with all physical activity, occurs only when the exercise is very
vigorous. Cycling gently to work so as to avoid arriving as a sweaty
heap has no measurable health benefit and is somewhat inferior to
walking as a form of exercise. Less people cycling would most
probably have no discernable effect upon the numbers of premature
deaths.

Old September 14th 13, 01:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Saturday, 14 September 2013 13:14:10 UTC+1, Peter Parry wrote:

Less people

Fewer people

Old September 14th 13, 03:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Catrap

"Zapp Brannigan" wrote in message ...

"brianrob1961" wrote in message
On 14/09/2013 09:24, Mrcheerful wrote:
I cannot find any figures for this, it is often claimed that 'foam hats
kill, so can anyone point to any cases? Road cyclist kiled because his
helmet killed him?

You really are a pitiful and sick individual, aren't you? You are sat at
your computer researching the deaths of people for no other reason than
your own spite and a burning desire to prevent people cycling.

Phil Lee recently wrote that :

" Nobody has ever been able to prove that a life has been saved by a
foam hat. Sadly there have been a number of cases where it has been
proved that a life has been lost by the use of a foam hat."

What is your view, Brian?

Yes, but it was Phil Lee, wasn't it. Surely nobody tales him seriously any
more, do they?

Old September 14th 13, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Shane Badham

Catrap wrote:

[...]

I use a helmet, but I have often wondered if a fall to the side would
have broken my spine near my head. I think they are designed for a
foewards tip over the handle-bars.

I know of a chap who was behind a wagon which braked suddenly. He went
under the wagon and his helmet jammed. The result was he died due to the
breaking of his spine near his head. If he had not had a helmet he might
have survived.

--
Thanks and regards, Shane.
"A closed mouth gathers no feet!"
Old September 14th 13, 04:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 14/09/2013 04:36, Zapp Brannigan wrote:

"brianrob1961" wrote in message
On 14/09/2013 09:24, Mrcheerful wrote:
I cannot find any figures for this, it is often claimed that 'foam hats
kill, so can anyone point to any cases? Road cyclist kiled because his
helmet killed him?

You really are a pitiful and sick individual, aren't you? You are sat
at your computer researching the deaths of people for no other reason
than your own spite and a burning desire to prevent people cycling.

Phil Lee recently wrote that :

" Nobody has ever been able to prove that a life has been saved by a
foam hat. Sadly there have been a number of cases where it has been
proved that a life has been lost by the use of a foam hat."

An interesting viewpoint, and one that cannot adequately covered by
Bertie Wooster's rather charitable interpretation to the effect that
some unknowable number of "ill-health" deaths (caused by lack of
exercise) would be "caused" by the dissuasion effect of
cycling-helmet-compulsion.

As Lee LJ knows full well, the term "case" must be linked to a specific
and identifiable instance involving known participants and with its own
unique history and process. It has no other meaning.

So he MUST be of the opinion that there are cases which can be shown to
have been caused by wearing (and not the disinclination to wear) a
cycling safety helmet.

One assumes that he can either identify one or more such cases (because
the cases exist) or that he cannot (because they don't).

Here's space and opportunity for one or more of those posited "cases" to
be cited:

.................................................. .....................

Old September 14th 13, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
brianrob1961

On 14/09/2013 10:36, Zapp Brannigan wrote:

"brianrob1961" wrote in message
On 14/09/2013 09:24, Mrcheerful wrote:
I cannot find any figures for this, it is often claimed that 'foam hats
kill, so can anyone point to any cases? Road cyclist kiled because his
helmet killed him?

You really are a pitiful and sick individual, aren't you? You are sat
at your computer researching the deaths of people for no other reason
than your own spite and a burning desire to prevent people cycling.

Phil Lee recently wrote that :

" Nobody has ever been able to prove that a life has been saved by a
foam hat. Sadly there have been a number of cases where it has been
proved that a life has been lost by the use of a foam hat."

What is your view, Brian?

My view is that my life has 'possibly' been saved by the use of a helmet
on two occasions.