South Africa: Tooled up gang of cyclists attack van occupants fordaring to be in their way

Old March 4th 14, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

Default South Africa: Tooled up gang of cyclists attack van occupants fordaring to be in their way

Facebook user Symon Scott who uploaded the video wrote the following:

Earlier yesterday morning I was driving on Beach Road towards Cape Town,
just past the Pavilion. There are two lanes and I was in the right hand
lane. I found myself approaching a bunch of about twenty cyclists,
probably practicing for the Argus Cycle Tour. They were in the left
lane, but many were riding abreast so some were even encroaching into
the right hand lane, past the center line. Aware of the new 1.5 meter
rule, I slowed to give them space and was unwilling to overtake. Further
ahead was a stationary vehicle that was double parked but it went
unnoticed by the leader of the group who was looking back and
communicating to the rest of the team. The group were moving swiftly and
only at the last second when the leader again faced forwards, did he see
the vehicle…. Just in the nick of time. He had to swerve to avoid the
vehicle and this obviously upset him. He stopped his bicycle abruptly
and flew into a violent rage. The entire peleton pulled up in support
and some followed his lead. I fumbled with my phone for valuable seconds
and eventually got the camera going, and filmed the violence unfolding
before me. You can clearly see how they battered the vehicle, bent the
windscreen wipers, pepper sprayed the driver, tried to steal his keys,
assaulted him with a bicycle wheel and punched him and the passenger in
the face repeatedly. There was a lot more going down than what you can
see in the video.

The occupants of the car "were volunteer workers cleaning up... litter
after the finish of the SunshineD Nelson Mandela Commemorative Walk."
Cyclist-driver hostility

A video of the assault has gone viral and shows the cyclists assaulting
the man and using pepper spray on him.

http://www.jacarandafm.com/post/enra...otorist-video/

Old March 5th 14, 01:21 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tarcap

"Mrcheerful" wrote in message ...

[...]

It's very strange that you rarely see these attacks on a one to one basis;
it's always a complete pack of them attacking one person.
Says a lot about cyclists - but then, we always knew that, didn't we?

Old March 5th 14, 11:38 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mentalguy2k8[_2_]

"Tarcap" wrote in message

http://www.jacarandafm.com/post/enra...otorist-video/

It's very strange that you rarely see these attacks on a one to one basis;
it's always a complete pack of them attacking one person.
Says a lot about cyclists - but then, we always knew that, didn't we?

Indeed, it would also be extremely rare to hear of a group of motorists
stopping their vehicles to dish out a beating to a lone cyclist.

Anecdotal (video) evidence suggests that this kind of mob violence is
perpetrated solely by one group of people.

Muni in South Africa jogglingflurpy Unicycling 7 December 9th 08 01:40 PM
PING South Africa ! thieum Unicycling 0 June 20th 08 09:33 PM
South africa Anders Grund Rides 0 December 7th 04 06:13 PM
South africa Anders Grund Rides 0 December 7th 04 06:13 PM
Unicycles in South Africa ? Dewald Unicycling 2 April 30th 04 11:58 AM