Miyata 712 headset?

Old June 11th 18, 08:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank

Default Miyata 712 headset?

(Wow, 5 years since I last posted here? Time flies.)

I just bought an '88 Miyata 712 frame and fork, which should be arriving later this week. As I assemble parts, the big question left is whether that vintage of Miyata would have used an ISO/26.4 or JIS/27.0 crown race. Obviously, I can throw a caliper on it when it arrives, but I'm curious if anyone knows offhand.

TIA
Old June 11th 18, 11:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 6/11/2018 2:20 PM, Hank wrote:
(Wow, 5 years since I last posted here? Time flies.)

I just bought an '88 Miyata 712 frame and fork, which should be arriving later this week. As I assemble parts, the big question left is whether that vintage of Miyata would have used an ISO/26.4 or JIS/27.0 crown race. Obviously, I can throw a caliper on it when it arrives, but I'm curious if anyone knows offhand.

TIA

Yes original spec is JIS format 27.0/ 30.0, a very standard
thing. Nice ones start at $20.

That said, yes measure it as the system is designed such
that to use a more expensive (i.e. Campagnolo) headset one
cuts to the 26.4/ 30.2 format and someone may have done that.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old June 19th 18, 03:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank

On Monday, June 11, 2018 at 3:39:00 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 6/11/2018 2:20 PM, Hank wrote:
(Wow, 5 years since I last posted here? Time flies.)

I just bought an '88 Miyata 712 frame and fork, which should be arriving later this week. As I assemble parts, the big question left is whether that vintage of Miyata would have used an ISO/26.4 or JIS/27.0 crown race. Obviously, I can throw a caliper on it when it arrives, but I'm curious if anyone knows offhand.

TIA

Yes original spec is JIS format 27.0/ 30.0, a very standard
thing. Nice ones start at $20.

That said, yes measure it as the system is designed such
that to use a more expensive (i.e. Campagnolo) headset one
cuts to the 26.4/ 30.2 format and someone may have done that.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Got the frame in the mail and measured, and it's ISO. There's still overspray on the crown race seat and inside the head tube, so no sign of milling. I found an '86 catalog and it lists the specs for the Team, Pro, and 912 framesets as being English BB, Italian headset, so they made the switch at or around that time. I have a Tange Falcon 250 on order.

Thanks for the reply!

-Hank

$30.00 Miyata Seven Ten Sir Ridesalot Techniques 13 October 31st 15 05:25 PM
Integrated Headset Fork on Standard Headset C.H. Luu Techniques 3 September 7th 06 07:11 PM
Miyata CF Base + Miyata Handles + KH Cover = Wicked Trials Saddle. trials_uni Unicycling 15 August 12th 06 11:24 PM
new miyata wowunicycle Unicycling 6 August 7th 05 03:06 AM
Miyata or KH bigjohn_117 Unicycling 15 June 28th 05 07:55 PM