Harry Potter, the Psychic Boss and the Laneways of Doom

Old February 17th 05, 02:13 PM
Dave

Default Harry Potter, the Psychic Boss and the Laneways of Doom

kim wrote:
Oscar wrote:

Do you drive a Volvo kim?

no. no i don't.

there are plenty of folks who drive really badly in locally made cars.
its just so much easier to target a minority of drivers who drive some
foreign tank tho.

kim

Oh but there is really badly and then there is really badly.

WHen my friend Jane... (and jane do u still want that powerpoint
presentation) got rid of her 144 and got a barina she improved maybe
500 percent. Made it all the way up to terrible.

Sorry Janey.. you know its true

Dave
Old February 21st 05, 05:29 AM
Kim Hawtin

Dave wrote:
When you talk to these mums.. the main reason they have a 4wd is so
darling child will be safe.. from other mums in 4wds

praps all these mums should just get volvos.
then they will be safe and it'll be a whole lot easier to spot.
and it'll also make prados and pajeros easier to outlaw as pointless
poluting status symbols. or show ponys as my wife calls them =)

kim
Old February 21st 05, 11:56 PM
ProfTournesol

Kim Hawtin Wrote:
Dave wrote:
When you talk to these mums.. the main reason they have a 4wd is so
darling child will be safe.. from other mums in 4wds

praps all these mums should just get volvos.
then they will be safe and it'll be a whole lot easier to spot.
and it'll also make prados and pajeros easier to outlaw as pointless
poluting status symbols. or show ponys as my wife calls them =)

kim

they're Urban Assault Vehicles in our house:-

--
ProfTournesol

Old February 22nd 05, 12:50 AM
Theo Bekkers

ProfTournesol wrote:
Kim Hawtin Wrote:

and it'll also make prados and pajeros easier to outlaw as pointless
poluting status symbols. or show ponys as my wife calls them =)

they're Urban Assault Vehicles in our house:-)

I don't quite get the 'pointless poluting status symbols' bit. Could
some-one please explain to me why my wife's 2.0 litre RAV4 consuming 10
litres /100 km is antisocial, yet my daughter in law's 5.7 litre Commodore
Wagon consuming who knows what is socially acceptable. There are many all
Wheel drive vehicles out there which are shorter, lighter, and consume less
fuel than the average Falcodore.

Theo
Owning a Ford Courier 2.6 litre ute.

Old February 22nd 05, 01:01 AM
Stuart Lamble

On 2005-02-21, Theo Bekkers wrote:
I don't quite get the 'pointless poluting status symbols' bit. Could
some-one please explain to me why my wife's 2.0 litre RAV4 consuming 10
litres /100 km is antisocial, yet my daughter in law's 5.7 litre Commodore
Wagon consuming who knows what is socially acceptable. There are many all
Wheel drive vehicles out there which are shorter, lighter, and consume less
fuel than the average Falcodore.

From my point of view, the issue is one of visibility. Assume for the
sake of discussion that I'm driving around town in my two litre Holden
Vectra sedan. I like to be able to see what's happening ahead of me.
Depending on how much I'm focusing on my driving, I'm watching between 1
and 5 or 6 cars in front of me, so I can react to things well in front
of me before they propagate back to me. This is an Extremely Useful
skill to cultivate, because it means if there's a multi-car bingle up
ahead, you have that much more time to react and possibly avoid becoming
a part of it.

If I'm stuck behind something that has a 4WD form factor -- such as a
RAV4 -- then I can only react to what the RAV4 does. I am relying upon
the driver of the RAV4 having good reflexes and anticipating what the
traffic ahead is doing, because I am blind -- the RAV4 is blocking my
vision of what I like to see happening ahead.

You can argue that I should leave an adequate braking distance, and I
try to do that. However, when you're on the freeway in peak hour traffic
(but flowing smoothly), trying to leave a two to three second gap is
basically inviting the morons in the next lane over to jump in to try to
shave a millisecond off their transit time. This leads to me slowing
down even further to try to maintain the gap, and more and more people
jumping into the gap, rending the whole damn thing a useless exercise.

So to be completely fair, half the problem is the shape and size of the
vehicle blocking my view; the other half is people not understanding the
physics of driving and assuming that they can stop at the drop of a hat.
It Ain't So, and I need to drive to cater for people not understanding
that It Ain't So. Having a hulking great big four wheel drive in front
of me precludes that.

So it's not so much the polluting part as it is the safety part, at
least for me.

Old February 22nd 05, 01:11 AM
hippy

Theo Bekkers wrote:
I don't quite get the 'pointless poluting status symbols' bit. Could
some-one please explain to me why my wife's 2.0 litre RAV4 consuming 10
litres /100 km is antisocial, yet my daughter in law's 5.7 litre Commodore
Wagon consuming who knows what is socially acceptable.

16.5l/100km according to:
http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_1590/...popularArticle

There are many all
Wheel drive vehicles out there which are shorter, lighter, and consume less
fuel than the average Falcodore.

I don't like the large 4wd's due to their size. I can't see over them.

When driving behind one, it's harder to see around it at the traffic
ahead, which makes 'braking easy, early' harder. Sure, "4WD" can refer
to a 'family car-sized' Subaru wagon or similar but I'm refering to the
big "tanks" that are totally unnecessary around Melbourne.

hippy
Old February 22nd 05, 01:38 AM
Shabby

Theo Bekkers wrote:
I don't quite get the 'pointless poluting status symbols' bit. Could
some-one please explain to me why my wife's 2.0 litre RAV4 consumin
10
litres /100 km is antisocial, yet my daughter in law's 5.7 litr
Commodore
Wagon consuming who knows what is socially acceptable.

We could start on Conformodore drivers as well if you want Theo.

So far the debate has been about bicycle safety, not environmenta
vandalism. Hippy's link references this quote: "but - even durin
light-footed urban saunters - you won't get better than 16.5-litres pe
100 clicks."

Me thinks if you're buying a 5.7L Conformadore, you're not the type o
person who then drives it efficiently

--
Shabby

Old February 22nd 05, 02:49 AM
Theo Bekkers

Stuart Lamble wrote:

From my point of view, the issue is one of visibility. Assume for the
sake of discussion that I'm driving around town in my two litre Holden
Vectra sedan. I like to be able to see what's happening ahead of me.
Depending on how much I'm focusing on my driving, I'm watching
between 1 and 5 or 6 cars in front of me, so I can react to things
well in front of me before they propagate back to me. This is an
Extremely Useful skill to cultivate, because it means if there's a
multi-car bingle up ahead, you have that much more time to react and
possibly avoid becoming a part of it.

If I'm stuck behind something that has a 4WD form factor -- such as a
RAV4 -- then I can only react to what the RAV4 does. I am relying upon
the driver of the RAV4 having good reflexes and anticipating what the
traffic ahead is doing, because I am blind -- the RAV4 is blocking my
vision of what I like to see happening ahead.

So why are you not bitching and whining about semis and trying to get them
banned? Surely much worse than a RAV4 to see over or around.

You can argue that I should leave an adequate braking distance, and I
try to do that.

Yes. You think it fair to blame the 4WD form factor driver for your lack of
sensible driving practice?

So to be completely fair, half the problem is the shape and size of
the vehicle blocking my view; the other half is people not
understanding the physics of driving and assuming that they can stop
at the drop of a hat. It Ain't So, and I need to drive to cater for
people not understanding that It Ain't So. Having a hulking great big
four wheel drive in front of me precludes that.

Again, how do you feel about trucks?

Theo

Old February 22nd 05, 02:52 AM
Theo Bekkers

hippy wrote:
Theo Bekkers wrote:
yet my daughter in law's 5.7 litre
Commodore Wagon consuming who knows what is socially acceptable.

16.5l/100km according to:
http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_1590/...popularArticle

Thank you. Hmmm, the same as a 3.5 litre Holden Rodeo ute.

There are many all
Wheel drive vehicles out there which are shorter, lighter, and
consume less fuel than the average Falcodore.

I don't like the large 4wd's due to their size. I can't see over them.

When driving behind one, it's harder to see around it at the traffic
ahead, which makes 'braking easy, early' harder. Sure, "4WD" can refer
to a 'family car-sized' Subaru wagon or similar but I'm refering to
the big "tanks" that are totally unnecessary around Melbourne.

How do you feel about delivery vans, trucks and buses? Surely a bigger
problem than a little RAV4?

Theo

Old February 22nd 05, 02:58 AM
TimC

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 at 23:50 GMT, Theo Bekkers (aka Bruce)
ProfTournesol wrote:
Kim Hawtin Wrote:

and it'll also make prados and pajeros easier to outlaw as pointless
poluting status symbols. or show ponys as my wife calls them =)

they're Urban Assault Vehicles in our house:-)

I don't quite get the 'pointless poluting status symbols' bit. Could
some-one please explain to me why my wife's 2.0 litre RAV4 consuming 10
litres /100 km is antisocial, yet my daughter in law's 5.7 litre Commodore

500km costs 50 litres? Damn, my little colt would get up to Mildura on
less far than a tank of petrol. A tank being $25 or so, and hence
maybe 35L or so. And it was 20 years old, so not all that fuel efficient.

Wagon consuming who knows what is socially acceptable. There are many all

Who said Commodores are socially acceptable? They are the cars I
usually stay clear of because of the morons typically inside
them. Just like my next door neighbour.

MacOSX: Sort of like a pedigree persian cat. Very sleek, very
sexy, but a little too prone to going cross-eyed, biting you on
your thumb and then throwing up on your trousers. -- Jim @ ASR