heart attacks?

Old December 6th 04, 11:59 AM
Huw Lynes

Default heart attacks?

So I was watching Top Gear last night (yes, I know, but it's entertaining in a
juvenile way) when Clarkson made an off-hand comment about something in the
news proving that cyclists are more likely to suffer heart attacks than
motorists.

A quick googling has left me none the wiser. Does anyone know to what he was
referring?

Old December 6th 04, 12:07 PM

Huw Lynes wrote:
So I was watching Top Gear last night (yes, I know, but it's

entertaining in a
juvenile way) when Clarkson made an off-hand comment about something

in the
news proving that cyclists are more likely to suffer heart attacks

than
motorists.

A quick googling has left me none the wiser. Does anyone know to what

he was
referring?

Probably, he was referring to this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3761012.stm

....and applying his usual level of logic. What the
study in question showed was that the level of risk
of a heart attack increased more for cyclists in a
traffic jam than it did for motorists.

Old December 6th 04, 12:10 PM
Richard

Huw Lynes wrote:
So I was watching Top Gear last night (yes, I know, but it's entertaining in a
juvenile way) when Clarkson made an off-hand comment about something in the
news proving that cyclists are more likely to suffer heart attacks than
motorists.

Probably this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3761012.stm

R.

Old December 6th 04, 12:16 PM
Pete Bentley

Huw Lynes wrote:
A quick googling has left me none the wiser. Does anyone know to what he was
referring?

Possibly a misrepresentation of these:-
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3991633.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/1383645.stm

However if I recall correctly, other studies have shown that car
drivers inhale more pollution than cyclists so if Clarkson was
referring to these then he has his conclusions back to front.

Or maybe there is some other research I'm unaware of which shows
that a sedentary big-mac-munching commute by car is better for
the heart than some brisk exercise on a bike.

Pete.
Old December 6th 04, 12:18 PM
nobody760

That set me thinking - at 61 I am about the only one of my local Pub pals
that is NOT on blood pressure tablets! I cycle everywhere, they drive
everywhere.

Significant?

Old December 6th 04, 12:22 PM
Richard Goodman

wrote in message
oups.com...

Probably, he was referring to this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3761012.stm

That must have been it. But what an odd result. How do german cyclists
manage to get themselves stuck in traffic jams?

Rich

Old December 6th 04, 12:41 PM
Succorso

Huw Lynes wrote:
So I was watching Top Gear last night (yes, I know, but it's entertaining in a
juvenile way) when Clarkson made an off-hand comment about something in the
news proving that cyclists are more likely to suffer heart attacks than
motorists.

A quick googling has left me none the wiser. Does anyone know to what he was
referring?

He is a loud-mouthed, lard-arsed, smoking (ex smoking?) wazzok who, like
most playground ejits, can't ever say or do anything constructive.

I'd not pay him any heed if I were you...

--
Chris

Old December 6th 04, 01:07 PM
Mark Tranchant

nobody760 wrote:
That set me thinking - at 61 I am about the only one of my local Pub pals
that is NOT on blood pressure tablets! I cycle everywhere, they drive
everywhere.

Significant?

Statistically? Depends how many pub pals you have, but probably not.

Circumstantially? Yes. Have you made them aware of this?

--
Mark.
http://tranchant.plus.com/
Old December 6th 04, 01:15 PM
Huw Lynes

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 12:41:08 +0000
Succorso wrote:

Huw Lynes wrote:
So I was watching Top Gear last night (yes, I know, but it's entertaining
in a juvenile way) when Clarkson made an off-hand comment about something
in the
news proving that cyclists are more likely to suffer heart attacks than
motorists.

A quick googling has left me none the wiser. Does anyone know to what he
was referring?

He is a loud-mouthed, lard-arsed, smoking (ex smoking?) wazzok who, like
most playground ejits, can't ever say or do anything constructive.

I'd not pay him any heed if I were you...

I don't and you are correct in your assessment of Mr Clarkson's character. I
just wondered what the original source was. As usual the collective memory of
u.r.c responded magnificently. Now, when I get into that argument with a
non-cyclist trying to tell me I'll get a heart attack, I shall know from where
the idiocy first rose.

Rider Down! slim Social Issues 9 October 19th 04 01:41 PM
HGH and Heart Attacks B. Lafferty Racing 17 August 16th 04 09:43 PM
Gels vs Gatorade Ken Techniques 145 August 3rd 04 06:56 PM