Tire Wear

Old July 9th 03, 03:07 PM
David L. Johnson

Default Tire Wear

On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 05:34:40 +0000, Roy Zipris wrote:

Besides the obvious--cuts or gashes, threads showing--what do you
generally check to tell when it's time to replace a tire? Thanks.
--Roy Zipris

Tread does not matter. Ignore the fact that whatever tread the tire may
have had is worn away. I usually wait until the cord begins to show
through.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Deserves death! I daresay he does. Many that live deserve
_`\(,_ | death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to
(_)/ (_) | them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement.
-- J. R. R. Tolkein

Old July 9th 03, 07:18 PM
Richard Ney

Roy Zipris writes:

Besides the obvious--cuts or gashes, threads showing--what do you
generally check to tell when it's time to replace a tire? Thanks.

When you see the cords start to show through it's time to put on a new
tire.

Old July 10th 03, 02:33 AM
psycholist

Only if you never ride them. What kind of tires do you ride? Or should I
say ... don't you ride?

Bob C.
"jacques" wrote in message
news
Some tires become "dry" (can I say this of a piece of rubber ?) and
develop cracks much before the wear out.

Old July 10th 03, 04:35 PM
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 18:42:29 +0200, "jacques"
wrote:

Some tires become "dry" (can I say this of a piece of rubber ?) and
develop cracks much before the wear out.

If the tires are stored near ozone generating motors, like furnaces,
pumps, freezers, etc... or constantly exposed to UV radiation via
untinted, sunny windows, they can crack and crumble long before they
wear out.

Some rubber and plastic compounds seem to be more prone to this than
others.

Barry