The Coker "lives"

Old July 13th 03, 10:33 PM
Fool

Default The Coker "lives"

When I tacoed my coker earlyer this summer, I was pleasantly suprised to
find the bike shop only charged me £4 to get it straightened.

I think the novelty value gave me a discount.

The Fool

PS: I am bored so here you go:

£4 ~ $6.5 ~ EUR5.7

http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert.cgi

--
Fool - The Uni Fool

"The laughing tale of the fool
The arranger of disorder
With your strange and simple rules"
Gypsy
Fool's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3687

Old July 14th 03, 12:27 PM
U-Turn

Nice, Mojoe!

I think you could have widened it more; I don't think the flange
diameter has anything to do with the flange-flange distance. The flange
diameter primarily affects the wheel's ability to transmit torque in the
plane of the wheel (i.e., forwards and backwards), and b) the way the
spokes overlap at the heads.

More important is the strength of the flange and the way it is attached
to the axle.

The two primary weaknesses of the stock Coker wheel a

1. The inferior design and construction of the rim;

2. The wheel geometry.

The major secondary weakness is the very low limit on spoke tension
caused by those two weaknesses.

By widening the hub, you improved the wheel geometry.

--
U-Turn - Mounting a Revolution

Weep in the dojo... laugh in the battlefield.

'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'

-- Dave Stockton

Old July 14th 03, 01:51 PM
U-Turn

Borges wrote:
*

The old spokes need to reach the rim if you don't wanna spend the
money on new custom spokes. *

At that angle the difference in spoke length between the two
configurations (83 mm and 101mm) would be extremely small, approximately
1 mm. Since the spoke nipple threaded portion is 12-13 times that
length, it is likely that the spokes would work.

Old July 14th 03, 02:52 PM
Mojoe

I wasn't sure how much the width would effect the needed spoke length. I
think I could have gone wider, since there are no exposed threads on any
of my spokes. Also, I was able to get the spokes pretty tight,
considering the crappy rim. I had tried getting the spokes tight with
the stock wheel once. The result was my first taco. The wheel flopped
over and bounced, lightly, on a UPD and the wheel taco'd bigtime.

The wheel also feels better now. I can't feel the wheel flex while
riding.

Mojoe

--
Mojoe - The Muni Militia

http://mojoe.unicyclist.com/
Mojoe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/533

Old July 14th 03, 06:13 PM
sendhair

Borges wrote:
*

The old spokes need to reach the rim if you don't wanna spend the
money on new custom spokes. *

tch! the spokes need to reach the rim?!?!!

details!

--
sendhair - Human Fly bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

[image:
http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/al..._eye_ball.gif] am
the [image: http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/al...bun00/aac.gif] in
the ointment.
sendhair's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1019

Old July 14th 03, 07:38 PM
carjug

Why didn't you just use a Schwinn hub, they are wide? Unidot com is
selling Cokers with this hub right now, and they've gotta be better than
the standard Coker toysRus hubs!

--
carjug
carjug's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1228