Bike-shorts benefit without the bike shorts?

Old August 6th 03, 09:55 PM
Preston Crawford

Default Bike-shorts benefit without the bike shorts?

I'm considering getting bike shorts. I'm starting to ride longer rides again
and I think I'd like the padding. Problem is, I generally wear my own tights
in the winter (unpadded) so I want something fairly light that can go under
the tights. And inexpensive, if possible. Thus far I've doen without. I'm
thinking about those padded boxers. Has anyone tried those?

Preston

Old August 7th 03, 12:13 AM
Doug Purdy

"Preston Crawford" wrote in message
I'm considering getting bike shorts. I'm starting to ride longer rides

again
and I think I'd like the padding. Problem is, I generally wear my own

tights
in the winter (unpadded) so I want something fairly light that can go

under
the tights. And inexpensive, if possible. Thus far I've doen without. I'm
thinking about those padded boxers. Has anyone tried those?

There is a short designed to be worn under other clothes. I have one
version, "Andiamo Padded Skins" much more comfy under tights than shorts or
bibs. Comes in S to XXL.

Stores also offer pads alone ready to be sewn into whatever you prefer.

I sometimes ride without any shorts under tights but for that the tights
MUST have windblocking fronts. Depends on the tight material for backs.
Plain unbrushed lycra is cooler than comfy even above freezing. I don't
understand but I find it cooler than bare legs, ok, bare hairy legs. ;-)

Doug
Toronto

Old August 7th 03, 03:02 PM
Wayne Menzie

"Preston Crawford" wrote
in :

I'm considering getting bike shorts. I'm starting to ride longer
rides again and I think I'd like the padding.

Don't think padding, think moisture absorption. If you need padding
to be comfortable, you have the wrong saddle. Moisture absorption
will help eliminate chafing and your saddle should provide the
comfort. With that being said, the underwear-type liners I've seen
/may/ do a good job for you, if the chamois is halfway decent.
Something like
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...=12943&Store=B
ike might do the trick.

--
Wayne Menzie
Old August 7th 03, 07:19 PM
Rick Onanian

On 7 Aug 2003 14:02:30 GMT, Wayne Menzie wrote:
I'm considering getting bike shorts. I'm starting to ride longer
rides again and I think I'd like the padding.

Don't think padding, think moisture absorption. If you need padding to
be comfortable, you have the wrong saddle. Moisture absorption will help

Strange...when you go to an LBS and say you think you
need a different saddle, they'll tell you to get padded
biking shorts instead. At least, around here.

--
Rick Onanian
Old August 7th 03, 11:04 PM
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
Rick Onanian wrote:

On 7 Aug 2003 14:02:30 GMT, Wayne Menzie wrote:
I'm considering getting bike shorts. I'm starting to ride longer
rides again and I think I'd like the padding.

Don't think padding, think moisture absorption. If you need padding to
be comfortable, you have the wrong saddle. Moisture absorption will help

Strange...when you go to an LBS and say you think you
need a different saddle, they'll tell you to get padded
biking shorts instead. At least, around here.

It's like this: bike shorts exist in their present form primarily to
prevent chafing. Chafing is what you get when you wear, for example,
normal shorts and normal underwear on a bike (to combat this, I was
wearing boxer briefs under sweats before I got a pair of road shorts).

That said, the "chamois" in standard bike shorts does provide a modicum
of padding, which has the particular benefit that it moves with the
rider and absorbs sweat from a certain part of your body.

If you are not wearing bike shorts and have a saddle issue, it may go
away after you buy bike shorts. But probably not.

You will definitely be more comfortable in bike shorts than in regular
shorts, though.

At least until you have to walk through the mall on an errand,
--
Ryan Cousineau, http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine
President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club
Old August 8th 03, 01:41 AM
Rick Onanian

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 15:04:16 -0700, Ryan Cousineau wrote:
You will definitely be more comfortable in bike shorts than in regular
shorts, though.

I definately am.

At least until you have to walk through the mall on an errand,

Yup, that's the exception alright. They also have no pockets
for my wallet.

How about those casual / baggy biking shorts? Do they
prevent chafing as well, and do they get snagged on
the saddle easily?

--
Rick Onanian
Old August 8th 03, 08:31 AM
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
Rick Onanian wrote:

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 15:04:16 -0700, Ryan Cousineau wrote:
You will definitely be more comfortable in bike shorts than in regular
shorts, though.

I definately am.

At least until you have to walk through the mall on an errand,

Yup, that's the exception alright. They also have no pockets
for my wallet.

That's what the jersey is for! Good grief! I have to say that until you
own a three-pocket road jersey, you have no idea how much crap you can
stuff in those pockets. I went for a ride recently which incorporated
some errands, but brought only a fanny pack an my jersey for storage. At
the end of the ride, I had wallet, money, spare tube, a few tools, a
rolled-up magazine, and room to spare in my back pockets. It's not even
uncomfortable to carry that sort of load there (no worse than carrying
it anywhere else). I wondered why I had even brought the fanny pack.

The only problem with those jerseys is using a seat with a back. D'oh!
So empty your pockets before you get in your car...

How about those casual / baggy biking shorts? Do they
prevent chafing as well, and do they get snagged on
the saddle easily?

I have a pair, and they work okay, and they look a lot better in the
mall . But while mine don't tend to get caught on the saddle, I prefer
to wear the tight-fit spandex for any serious road work. The baggies
flop around a bit, they catch the wind a bit, and if there's anything in
the pockets, it bugs me.

That said, legions of mountain bikers ride quite happily in lined baggy
shorts, and I've done it myself.

-RjC.

Old August 7th 03, 11:17 PM

On 7 Aug 2003 14:02:30 GMT, Wayne Menzie wrote:

"Preston Crawford" wrote
in :=20

I'm considering getting bike shorts. I'm starting to ride longer
rides again and I think I'd like the padding.

Don't think padding, think moisture absorption. If you need padding=20
to be comfortable, you have the wrong saddle. Moisture absorption=20
will help eliminate chafing and your saddle should provide the=20
comfort. With that being said, the underwear-type liners I've seen=20
/may/ do a good job for you, if the chamois is halfway decent. =20
Something like=20
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...2943&Store=3D=

ike might do the trick.

I absolutely agree that padding is not needed but that may not be true =
for
everyone. I like an chamois type crotch (no padding) in stretchy trim-
fitting but not tight shorts. These don't seem to be made anymore but =
one
can make them starting with Sportif hiking shorts and a saddle shaped =
piece
of ultra-suede. The Sportif shorts have only 4% spandex and twice that
would be nicer. Anybody know of anything like that?

=20