Where's you other wheel? - The flip side

Old September 2nd 03, 05:49 PM
JJuggle

Default Where's you other wheel? - The flip side

I ended up on the other side of the "where's your other wheel" comment
this weekend. Sort of.

My family went to the 'NY Renaissance Faire' (http://www.renfair.com/NY)
this weekend. While on line, which was taking forever, I asked the
people ahead of us all of whom were in various renaissance and medieval
costumes if they were members of the 'Society for Creative Anachronism'
(http://www.sca.org). One of them, who reminded me very much of the
'Simon Callow's' (http://tinyurl.com/lz3r) (he's on the left) character
in 4 Weddings and a Funeral, said "yes." He then started commenting to
his friends in a stage whisper, "Why whatever might lead someone to
believe we're members of the SCA? It couldn't be our outlandish
outfits...", etc, etc.

I felt somewhat abashed, but managed to say, "Well you could just be run
of the mill..." He quickly cut me off with the word "Weirdos?". To which
I replied, "Well, yeah."

Hey, I was just trying to make conversation!

Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

--
JJuggle - Last of the Dogmato-Revisionists

You tore a big hole in your convertible top.
What will you tell your mom and pop?
JJuggle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/24

Old September 2nd 03, 06:09 PM
harper

Is that you kissing Britney Spears in your avatar? You've trimmed down a
bit, Raphael, and I like the new look.

We passed some rock climbers on the Iron Horse Trail this weekend and
considered asking, "how's the view from up there," but thought better of
it. Your approach is better.

--
harper - Old dog, no tricks

-Greg Harper

B L U E S H I F T

"I managed to get my missus riding a couple of yards before she got
pregnant with Jenny, but she hasn't tried riding since. " - Danny
Colyer

"Sa da tay! Sepotown!" - Pootie Tang

Old September 2nd 03, 06:21 PM
brian.slater

Hmmm, I was at the NY Ren Faire Saturday, too, and -I- was one of the
weirdos in garb (the *proper* term for weirdo clothes ). I
spent about $300 on some more weirdo garb for the Simplefaire in
October, mustard soup and red berries in cream, yummmmm.

Of course, you do know that the proper term for members of the SCA is
Scadian, don't you? It'd be sort of like asking if they're on a KH24,
instead of if they're a clown--if you use this term they'll think you're
a Scadian, too

Did you notice the slack rope act? He had a unicyle, I didn't see him
on it, though.

--
brian.slater - Nellfurtiti, the Wonder Cat

Brian C. Slater
AKA: Snoopy

Ok, I am now officially in my normal state of -advanced- confusion.
Don't try to confuse me, it won't make any difference.

"To not decide is to decide" - undecided
brian.slater's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3902

Old September 2nd 03, 07:06 PM
JJuggle

brian.slater wrote:
*Of course, you do know that the proper term for members of the SCA is
Scadian, don't you? It'd be sort of like asking if they're on a KH24,
instead of if they're a clown--if you use this term they'll think
you're a Scadian, too*

I did not know this, but will keep it in mind for next time. When I was
at college I lived not far from the dorm where most of the weir...I mean
Scadians lived. Always a lively and interesting bunch. *Did you notice the slack rope act? He had a unicyle, I didn't see
him on it, though. *

I did not see the slack rope act. I'm not surprised that he had a
unicycle though. Seems that authenticity is not among the major thrusts
of these things. Generally speaking, Brian, where does authenticity fit
in as a priority with Scadians? Are there nasty debates on the matter? I
got the feeling that Britney Spears had taken over the movement based on
the rather ahistorical amount of flesh the women were exposing. (Not
that I was complaining, mind you.)

Ah yes, my point: Authenticity. I have heard of juggling acts being
quite surprised by the level of authenticity required by some events of
this type to the point that all props must be made of only materials
available at the time, e.g. wooden juggling clubs (ouch!). Connie
Leaverton in her article in 'Kaskade' (http://www.kaskade.de) about
busking festivals in Austria talks about having to dispense with her
unicycle, her main prop, at one.

Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

Old September 2nd 03, 11:09 PM
johnfoss

Based on my limited experience around SCA members, if you were to take a
large roomful of all nerds, from various disciplines, the SCA people
would stand out as the "nerds among nerds" in that group. That's just my
opinion. So if they don't have snappy comebacks, what kind of nerds
would they be?

brian.slater wrote:
*Did you notice the slack rope act? He had a unicyle, I didn't see
him on it, though. *

Is the NY Ren Faire still in Tuxedo? I've been to that, and one of my
old performing partners, Jim Gleich, performed there every year. He did
not use a unicycle, due to the obvious inaccuracy, but did allow himself
some plastic juggling clubs. I remember a guy there who had a unicycle
(shiny chrome Schwinn). I think Jim referred to him as "Noodlehead Ned."
Don't know if that's the same guy.

Why allow unicycles, plastic props, etc? I think part of it is to ensure
quality entertainment. The Ren Faire performers are paid, though I don't
think very much, and compromises are probably allowed in order for them
to do their best quality work. I think one could decorate a set of
plastic clubs to look like wood, though.

--
johnfoss - Now riding to work

John Foss
the Uni-Cyclone
www.unicycling.com
________________

"Where's my kids?" -- Amy Drummond
"Where's my unicycle?" -- Andy Cotter
spoken one right after the other, mostly to themselves, at NAUCC 2003

Old September 3rd 03, 02:03 PM
GILD

JJuggle wrote:
*Ah yes, my point: Authenticity. I have heard of juggling acts being
quite surprised by the level of authenticity required by some events
of this type to the point that all props must be made of only
materials available at the time, e.g. wooden juggling clubs (ouch!).
Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ *

ouch indeed

a·nach·ro·nism
(-nkr-nzm)
n.
The representation of someone as existing or something as happening in
other than chronological, proper, or historical order.
One that is out of its proper or chronological order, especially a
person or practice that belongs to an earlier time: "A new age had
plainly dawned, an age that made the institution of a segregated picnic
seem an anachronism" (Henry Louis Gates, Jr.).

au·then·tic
(ô-thntk)
adj.
Conforming to fact and therefore worthy of trust, reliance, or belief:
an authentic account by an eyewitness.
Having a claimed and verifiable origin or authorship; not counterfeit or
copied: an authentic medieval sword.

am i the only one wondering how the words 'anachronism' and 'authentic'
ended up in the same thread?
or being discussed by the same organisation?

--
GILD - Waffle-tosser

The only difference between me and a madman is that i'm not mad.
Pablo Picasso

'this will only take a minute...(fixed)'
(http://www.burmacampaign.org.uk/actions/un.htm)

JUST SAY 'KNOW'!

Namaste!
Dave

Old September 3rd 03, 02:13 PM
ubersquish

if that isn't sarcasm, then it's about authenticity within the
anachronism. same as being historically realistic. but the 'creative' in
sca means that they can be just as un authentic as they feel like

--
ubersquish
ubersquish's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4328

Old September 3rd 03, 02:17 PM
Klaas Bil

GILD wrote:
*
this will only take a minute...
*

Even less since the link is broken. (It is not copied as a link here as
VBulletin doesn't seem to support quoting signatures.)

BTW, I had NOT wondered about the words anachronism and authentic being
-bien étonnés de se trouver ensemble-.

Klaas Bil

--
Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
Klaas Bil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3442

Old September 3rd 03, 02:31 PM
GILD

Klaas Bil wrote:
*
Even less since the link is broken. Klaas Bil *

i've fixed it
else do the copy/paste thing
http://www.burmacampaign.org.uk/actions/un.htm

thanx for the heads-up!

Old September 3rd 03, 03:11 PM
JJuggle

Good points all. I hang my head anachronistically in authentic shame.

Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

Breaking Spokes Roger Zoul Techniques 90 July 13th 04 06:59 PM
Max side load of a 20 inch rim? Ben Recumbent Biking 8 June 17th 04 04:14 PM
Wheelbuilding issues Nate Knutson Techniques 13 May 9th 04 03:29 PM
Custom 24" MTB wheel with Hugi 240 hub (with 2 tires) - New IronDad Marketplace 1 April 13th 04 06:19 PM
(Un)even spoke tension Ted Bennett Techniques 2 July 17th 03 12:33 PM