Signalling - What About Handlebar Height?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 10th 03, 12:54 PM
Elisa Francesca Roselli

Default Signalling - What About Handlebar Height?

I'm still working on the signalling, especially the suggestion of trying to
lighten up my hold on the handlebars over some safe transits to the point of
being able to let go of them. I'm nowhere near letting go, but the analysis
is proving useful.

I am heaviest on the handlebars when coasting, as the downhill tilt throws
me forward. Overall, I realize that much of my weight _is thrown forward
onto the handlebars if I try to keep my ass in place on the seat. To the
point that I get sore arms and carpal tunnel symptoms when I've been riding
for a while. When today I tried coasting with minimal pressure on the bars,
putting more of my weight on my rump, I had that very disagreeable sensation
of hanging on my soft parts, impaled by the seat.

Given that the height of the seat is regulated in relation to the pedals, is
it possible that the handlebar is too low in relation to the seat, forcing
that forward-thrown, tushy-in-the-air posture? I should mention that my bike
is a city or "Dutch" type with an upright handlebar, so in principle there
is no justification for a crouching posture. On the other hand, perhaps all
bikes thrown you forward, and it's a matter of getting used to it? Another
possibly involved parameter is the distance between the seat and the
handlebars - perhaps the seat is too far back, causing a forward lunge into
a void to hold the bars?

Any guidelines on handlebar height and if and how it should be adjusted? I
don't see one of those quick release pins on the bars as for the seat, and
there is the complication of the shopping basket in the front.

Elisa Roselli
Paris, France