I'm New & Question

Old July 20th 04, 12:59 PM
Karen Horn

Default I'm New & Question

Hi All,

I'm one of those everlasting annoying newbies-to the group and sort of to
the sport, as well.

While I've been biking for years, I've never had the time to do more than
explore the trails on my own, or for that fact, really get a bike that was
made for the job. So, now I'm looking at getting a new bike. Anyone have
any suggestions?

Thanks!
Karen

Old July 20th 04, 02:55 PM
Doug Huffman

Ride. That you ride is far more important than what, where or how you ride.

Ride with other folks. You'll 'improve' faster riding with better riders
than any other way. And y you'll develop your own opinions on next bike.

Old July 20th 04, 03:02 PM
Claire Petersky

"Karen Horn" wrote in message
Hi All,

I'm one of those everlasting annoying newbies-to the group and sort of to
the sport, as well.

While I've been biking for years, I've never had the time to do more than
explore the trails on my own, or for that fact, really get a bike that was
made for the job. So, now I'm looking at getting a new bike. Anyone have
any suggestions?

Hi Karen!

If you really want your question to be properly answered, why don't you ask
on rec.bicycles.misc? r.b.soc is sort of a nuthouse, for people who want to
discuss the societal ramifications of bicycling, such as helmet laws, the
outlawing of mountain biking, and so forth.

I'd include your budget information, and the types of trails you're
interested in.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

Old July 20th 04, 05:59 PM
Tim

I would suggest going to your local bike shop (LBS), and tell them what you
just told us. Not Wal-Mart. Your "LBS" will be able to assist you far
better than any hereof us or a "department store" for that matter.

Old July 21st 04, 01:22 AM
Har-VEE

"Doug Huffman" wrote in message

That you ride is far more important than what, where or how you ride.

Amen Brother!

Old July 21st 04, 02:54 AM
HardwareLust

Claire Petersky wrote:
Hi Karen!

If you really want your question to be properly answered, why don't
you ask on rec.bicycles.misc? r.b.soc is sort of a nuthouse, for
people who want to discuss the societal ramifications of bicycling,
such as helmet laws, the outlawing of mountain biking, and so forth.

I'd include your budget information, and the types of trails you're
interested in.

Dear Karen,

Claire, as usual, is correct. R.b.soc is definitely a vast wilderness
filled with man-eating beasts that the newb should not be wandering around
in alone. There's almost no intelligent life here. Moving your questions
to r.b.misc would be a very good start.

As for bike recommendations, budget and riding terrain would be two
questions that must be answered before an intelligent answer can even be
considered.

Regards,
H.

Old July 21st 04, 12:38 PM
Doug Huffman

This from an eponymous poster.

An exceptional 'senior' cyclist ('senior' in most senses of the word) denies
the need for specialized 'hardware' for enjoyable riding in any condition.
He writes of rides with the founders of 'fat-tire' cycling on his sew-ups.
He also wrote The Bicycle Wheel.

Old July 21st 04, 09:15 PM
HardwareLust

Doug Huffman wrote:
This from an eponymous poster.

An exceptional 'senior' cyclist ('senior' in most senses of the word)
denies the need for specialized 'hardware' for enjoyable riding in
any condition. He writes of rides with the founders of 'fat-tire'
cycling on his sew-ups. He also wrote The Bicycle Wheel.

Mais non. There is no arugument from me on that point. However, she
specifically asked for a recommendation as to which bicycle she should buy.
She should buy the bicycle designed for the type of riding that she wants to
do most, and one that she can comfortably afford. If I don't know what type
of person she is or what her budget might be like, it is virtually
impossible to recommend a type of bicycle to begin with, much less a
specific brand or model.

It is true that you can indeed have fun and ride just about anywhere on just
about *any* bicycle, but if she has the funds and the interest to buy a
bicycle that specifically is designed for the type of riding she intends to
do, then she'll be better off in the long run, and that will hopefully help
her to become a life long dedicated cyclist, which benefits all of us on two
wheels.

IMHO,
H.

Old July 22nd 04, 01:45 AM
Doug Huffman

If it were only so, "...for years."

Training question Franck Mangin Racing 2 April 7th 04 05:50 AM
Question on use of Yakima BigHorn 4 Bike Rack trailer hitch. Easy question. Thanks, tryitoz Joe Donaldson General 4 March 14th 04 03:08 AM
Newbie USCF question Kurgan Gringioni Racing 39 September 15th 03 06:25 AM
Question: Cassette Sizing Michael General 6 August 6th 03 01:48 PM
Question for group Thomas Mairs Racing 18 July 25th 03 06:36 AM