Crank Bros. Eggbeater pedals

Old August 21st 03, 06:34 AM
Steven Woo

Default Crank Bros. Eggbeater pedals

On 21 Aug 2003 13:27:48 +0950, Weezerbot
wrote:

Are the Crank Bros. Eggbeater pedals really worth the $100+? I'm not a
weight geek, but I need to invest in new pedals anyway. Are they worth
it or should I just go with something cheaper?

What are you using now? Do you have clipless pedals already? I
switched to them for cyclocross and switched my mountain bike because
I didn't want two different shoes for off road riding. The only
disadvantage I see so far comparing them to Shimano SPD's and Time off
road pedals is it seems like the small point of contact with the shoes
wears a narrow groove into one's shoes. I think this is going to be
more expensive in terms of shoes than for instance my 737 pedals were.
I could use shoes with the 737 pedals until the shoe's fell apart.
With the eggbeaters I think the pedal is going to wear a groove
through the sole of the shoe before I wear out the shoe. The Time
pedals are pretty close to the same feel as the Eggbeaters. The
Eggbeaters can be had for much cheaper than the Times. I haven't used
a SPD pedal newer than the 535 but those were super hardy and super
easy to clog with mud. (737 and 535) Dunno about modern SPD pedals.
Time's and Eggbeaters are almost the same in mud, hard to clog up
unless you get clay like mud -then nothing would work.
Old August 21st 03, 07:08 PM
Pat

x-no-archive:yes

Are the Crank Bros. Eggbeater pedals really worth the $100+? I'm not a
weight geek, but I need to invest in new pedals anyway. Are they worth
it or should I just go with something cheaper?

I'd also like to know how well they work, how the feel.

I'd like to get them. They would be worth it to me, for
the same reason a lot of things are worth it: they'd
make me want to ride more. They just look so cool! Every
time I see the bike with them, I'd want to jump on.

If you go for that sort of thing, then they'd probably
be worth it to you.

Weight geeks might be interested in the m2 racer, but
I hear they have some quality control issues.

--
Rick Onanian

Do a search for last year's model and you can get them around $52. I read
that the problem was the seals were letting in water on really muddy rides,
so Crank Bros. re-engineered the seals. However, I don't ride in the mud,
so I saw a chance to try them out and jumped on it! I like 'em. There is a
small learning curve to using them, but I like them better than my Shimano
515 pedals.

Pat in TX

Old August 21st 03, 09:20 PM
David Kunz

Weezerbot wrote:
Are the Crank Bros. Eggbeater pedals really worth the $100+? I'm not a
weight geek, but I need to invest in new pedals anyway. Are they worth
it or should I just go with something cheaper?

They're solid, reliable, always hold when I want them to, always release
easily when I twist. I highly recommend them. Much better then SPDs
for experienced riders (I keep yanking out of SPDs; if I tighten them
enough not to yank out, I can't twist out -- I've used SPD-515, 858 and
959).

BUT, for inexperienced riders, you can't yank out in a panic (one of
it's plusses for me). You MUST turn your foot. I recommend learning on
cheap SPDs set loose. Tighten them as you get better and used to
twisting to get out. When you get to the point where you keep coming
out on technical stuff when you don't want to -- get the egg beaters!

David

Crank Bros Candy SL clipless pedal question Rand O. Nee Mountain Biking 7 July 28th 04 05:10 PM
Crank Bros. J Switzer Mountain Biking 13 March 3rd 04 07:26 AM
Equipment Report: Weyless MG-1 pedals Monique Y. Herman Mountain Biking 33 September 17th 03 05:40 PM
Time ATAC and Crank Bros EB cleats TobiasL Mountain Biking 2 September 9th 03 04:55 PM
Clicking Eggbeater Pedals Me Mountain Biking 4 July 14th 03 10:22 PM