Lights for Road Riding

Old December 9th 03, 04:10 AM
Ken Huizenga

Default Lights for Road Riding

I am looking into purchase of a good light system for riding exclusively on
long country roads (100% paved, and mostly straight) and about 1 mile of
city streets to get out to the country. I want to maximize the length that
I can see debris, potholes, etc. in order to react in time. I am riding a
Gold Rush and am capable of speeds in excess of 20mph and over 30mph
downhill or with the wind. (I would slow down, if necessary, at night time
for safety. However, part of the reason for getting a really good lighting
system would be to avoid having to slow down much.)

I would like to get at least 2 hours of riding time before recharging. I
would also like to avoid helmet mounted lights. Price is not a major
obstacle, I am looking at a system right now which would cost $340, and
that's OK, if "that's what it takes." I willing to use both of my water
bottle holders if necessary for battery storage. Based on the above..., in
consultation with one of the major light system producers (Turbocat) I am
seriously considering the following system:

Two light fixtures, independently aimable, with one 15 watt bulb in each
light with two separate 6V water bottle batteries (Ni Cad). One 15 watt bulb
would be a flood light, focused fairly low/near in. This would hopefully
provide decent lighting up to about 60 feet out, while simultaneously
providing some light for cornering, lighting up signs in front of me, etc.
The other light would be a 15 watt medium spot, focused further out, beyond
where the flood light is illuminating. This would give me advance warning
of anything in the road about 60-80 feet out or perhaps a bit more.

I'm looking for 2nd opinions on the above setup. Any suggestions in terms
of different approaches which you think could work better are appreciated.
Of course, any system such as this is a tradeoff between weight of
batteries, riding time between battery recharge and expense. I am generally
OK with the "promised parameters" of the above system:

Desired Performance
==============
80+ feet of straight ahead illumination on the road
2.2 hours with both lights running full time

Cost / Weight
=========
$340
total weight just under 5 pounds.

What I'm asking is whether, in your experience, the above described system
will deliver something close to the above "Desired Performance". Also, if
you have any suggestions for how to modify this system to improve "desired
performance attributes" without raising cost/weight or keep the same Desired
Perforance while reducing cost or weight...I'm all ears...er...eyes.

Also...if there are any obvious concerns with the above system...such as the
potential for excessive glare for oncoming traffic, etc., etc. please point
out such things as well. Currently, I would intend to ride with both lights
on...all the time (at night). If I need to turn off either the flood or the
spot for oncoming traffic I should buy handlebar switches which are not part
of the current plan.

Thanks,
Ken Huizenga
Appleton, Wisconsin
Folding Gold Rush

Old December 9th 03, 05:16 AM
A Muzi

Ken Huizenga wrote:

I am looking into purchase of a good light system for riding exclusively on
long country roads (100% paved, and mostly straight) and about 1 mile of
city streets to get out to the country.

-snip-
Desired Performance
==============
80+ feet of straight ahead illumination on the road
2.2 hours with both lights running full time

Cost / Weight
=========
$340
total weight just under 5 pounds.

-snip-

That's all within popular lighting system specs at much
lower prices than you budgeted:

http://www.yellowjersey.org/cygo.html

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Old December 9th 03, 07:43 AM
Robert Strickland

Ken,

I haven't used the precise system you propose but I do use a Turbocat single
light system and can comment that I'm quite pleased with it in every way.
It's bright, the battery is small but lasts around 2 hours and the quality
of construction is very good. The only downside is that their stuff is a bit
on the expensive side. Given the brightness of my single light, I can't
imagine that a dual light system from them wouldn't provide the amount of
light you need.

Rob Strickland

Old December 9th 03, 12:18 PM
David Damerell

Ken Huizenga wrote:
I am looking into purchase of a good light system for riding exclusively on
long country roads (100% paved, and mostly straight) and about 1 mile of
city streets to get out to the country.

Have you considered a dual-headlight hub dynamo setup? You would want the
primary headlight to have a standlight unless you are willing to mount a
tiny battery LED light as well, as I do (on a one-headlight dynamo setup).
--
David Damerell flcl?
Old December 9th 03, 12:48 PM
Per Elmsäter

Ken Huizenga wrote:
Two light fixtures, independently aimable, with one 15 watt bulb in
each light with two separate 6V water bottle batteries (Ni Cad). One
15 watt bulb would be a flood light, focused fairly low/near in.

You would need maybe 5-6 Ah in each batterypack to allow for over 2 hours.
Two Nicd packs will be really heavy. Why not get NiMh. There is a big
difference in weight and you also don't have to worry about the memory
effect.

Once you're into designing your own batterypacks you might also wan't to
consider overvolting your lamps. Ie adding an extra bastterycell to each
pack making them 7.2 Volts instead of 6 Volts. this will increase your
Wattage and Voltage 20% but your illumination will probably increase 35-45%.
The price you pay is shorter bulb life, but they are usually marked for
2000-4000 hours at 6V and will probably give you 200-400 hours at 7.2 Volts.

Myself I have a 7.2 V / 9 Ah batterypack of NiMH cells ( 12 cells ). One 5W
and one 20W spot. The 20 is more than I need and I can afford the 5 to be a
little brighter. Hence I am looking into a 7-8W flood and a 15W medium spot.
Haven't found them yet, maybe I have to change light heads.

You'll often find that production line lighting systems have very good light
heads and mounts, whereas the batterys and chargers usually don't have the
same standard.

--
Perre

Old December 9th 03, 02:54 PM
Tim McNamara

"Ken Huizenga" writes:

I am looking into purchase of a good light system for riding
exclusively on long country roads (100% paved, and mostly straight)
and about 1 mile of city streets to get out to the country. I want
to maximize the length that I can see debris, potholes, etc. in
order to react in time. I am riding a Gold Rush and am capable of
speeds in excess of 20mph and over 30mph downhill or with the
wind. (I would slow down, if necessary, at night time for safety.
However, part of the reason for getting a really good lighting
system would be to avoid having to slow down much.)

Consider a Schmidt SON hub dynamo. I use one and it's great- weighs
less than a battery system (since it replaces the front hub). While
the 3 watt output doesn't sound like much, with a properly designed
light the road is well-lit. I find descending at 30+ mph is just
fine, I have plenty of light to see by.

I like to night ride, and the lack of a battery means I can ride as
long as I want and not worry about running out of juice. I've ridden
literally from dusk to dawn several times this past summer. On the
brevets this year and at PBP, I was very impressed. At the latter
event, there were people with high powered battery lights wh wanted
to ride on my wheel beause they could see better with my light than
theirs.

See http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/lightingsystems.htm (Peter is is
the importer) for more information. If you can read German, the
Schmidt page is also available.
Old December 9th 03, 03:36 PM
David Damerell

Tim McNamara wrote:
literally from dusk to dawn several times this past summer. On the
brevets this year and at PBP, I was very impressed. At the latter
event, there were people with high powered battery lights wh wanted
to ride on my wheel beause they could see better with my light than
theirs.

Any excuse. :-)

[But, actually, as one might gather from my other post, I find a SON and
Bisy headlamp perfectly adequate for riding in the dark; I mount battery
headlamps as a backup only. Shimano's Nexus has marginally higher drag,
but produces equally adequate lighting.]

How was the PBP?
--
David Damerell flcl?
Old December 9th 03, 06:31 PM
Zog The Undeniable

Ken Huizenga wrote:

[...]

Don't rule out a dynamo. The drag is negligible - my record commute
this year was with the dynamo running - and even a 6V 3W bulb gives
enough light for unlit lanes (definitely buy a 3W bulb instead of the
standard 2.4W, and fit a rear LED).

The advantages are that they're very reliable and will keep going until
you run out of pasta. They reach near-full brightness at about 10km/h
(6mph) and modern headlamps have voltage regulators to prevent blowing
at high speeds. I've been over 40mph with mine. Finally, the lamp
units are extremely lightweight and won't get juddered out of alignment.

Old December 9th 03, 08:27 PM
Tim McNamara

David Damerell writes:

Tim McNamara wrote:

literally from dusk to dawn several times this past summer. On the
brevets this year and at PBP, I was very impressed. At the latter
event, there were people with high powered battery lights wh wanted
to ride on my wheel beause they could see better with my light than
theirs.

Any excuse. :-)

Heh!

[But, actually, as one might gather from my other post, I find a SON
and Bisy headlamp perfectly adequate for riding in the dark; I mount
battery headlamps as a backup only. Shimano's Nexus has marginally
higher drag, but produces equally adequate lighting.]

How was the PBP?

I had a great time even though knee pain kept me from finishing. What
a wonderful event- 4,000 bikies from all over the world tring to ride
750+ miles in 90 hours or less. And French people out in the middle
of nowhere in the middle of the night, cheering you on! Just
amazing.

http://www2.bitstream.net/~timmcn/brevets-2003.html
Old December 9th 03, 08:28 PM
Tim McNamara

David Damerell writes:

How was the PBP?

One last OT comment, which the folks from the UK will appreciate.
There were two middle aged guys who did PBP on a Longstaff tandem
trike. *That* was something to watch go around corners.