Road vs Triathlon Shoes???

Old January 29th 04, 12:01 AM
Ryan Bates

Default Road vs Triathlon Shoes???

Hi, question regarding high-end triathlon shoes versus high-end
regular road shoes. I have a pair of the one-strap triathlon shoes,
and while they work great for triathlon, I wonder if I should also
have a seperate pair of three-strap shoes for regular training
rides/road races. I am very competitive in triathlon, and don't mind
spending the extra for two pairs if there really is a difference.
After trying a few on, seems that the regular road shoes have
significantly less heel slippage than the triathlon shoes. Does this
make any performance difference, and are there other differences large
or small? Thanks!
Old January 29th 04, 03:50 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles

Hi, question regarding high-end triathlon shoes versus high-end
regular road shoes. I have a pair of the one-strap triathlon shoes,
and while they work great for triathlon, I wonder if I should also
have a seperate pair of three-strap shoes for regular training
rides/road races. I am very competitive in triathlon, and don't mind
spending the extra for two pairs if there really is a difference.
After trying a few on, seems that the regular road shoes have
significantly less heel slippage than the triathlon shoes. Does this
make any performance difference, and are there other differences large
or small? Thanks!

In general, Tri-specific shoes will have a liner (so they feel comfortable
when not wearing socks) and be made for very easy entry. Typically that
means a single velcro strap, so there's less to mess with. The use of more
straps (either two or three, as found on most standard road shoes) does two
things- First, it helps with fit, since you can adjust the shoe to fit your
foot at more than one location. And second, it may give a more secure
feeling as you pull up on the pedals.

If your Tri shoes feel very comfortable when riding, and you don't notice
any "sponginess" (don't know how else to describe it) when pulling up, then
there's little to be gained from another pair of shoes. But sometimes the
standard shoes will expose the compromises made for a Tri-specific model.

--Mike--
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com

Old January 29th 04, 06:01 PM
Russell Seaton

In general, Tri-specific shoes will have a liner (so they feel comfortable
when not wearing socks) and be made for very easy entry. Typically that
means a single velcro strap, so there's less to mess with. The use of more
straps (either two or three, as found on most standard road shoes) does two
things- First, it helps with fit, since you can adjust the shoe to fit your
foot at more than one location. And second, it may give a more secure
feeling as you pull up on the pedals.

I have the exact opposite opinion. I find fewer straps means more
comfort in my riding shoes. I have yet to try the Carnac single strap
shoes, but they will be the next ones I buy. I have two strap Carnac
road shoes and three strap Carnac mountain bike shoes. The two straps
hold more securely and are more comfortable when pulling up on the
pedals. The top strap is the only strap that matters in cycling
shoes. I tighten the top strap and leave all of the lower straps on
both shoes loose. There is no point squeezing the lower part of the
foot with cycling shoes since all of the force occurs on the top
strap. The two strap shoe is more comfortable because the top strap
is wider than on the three strap model. And one strap triathalon
shoes have the widest strap of all. More comfortable because the
force is spread out over a greater area.
Old January 29th 04, 11:42 PM
Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles

There is no point squeezing the lower part of the
foot with cycling shoes since all of the force occurs on the top
strap. The two strap shoe is more comfortable because the top strap
is wider than on the three strap model. And one strap triathalon
shoes have the widest strap of all. More comfortable because the
force is spread out over a greater area.

If the shoe fits your foot perfectly, I agree. But many will find it
uncomfortable having the front of their foot "swimming" laterally across the
shoe because it's too big. Large toe boxes, no problem, but proper fit
width-wise is a relevant issue, and that's what the multiple straps address.

--Mike--
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com

om...

Big Sur mcmiller General 2 May 15th 04 12:04 AM
Considering a Road bike for commuting... good idea? Mike Beauchamp Techniques 95 August 18th 03 11:44 PM
ATB pedal on Road Bike Dave Stallard General 4 July 12th 03 01:23 AM