Pump injury

Old July 29th 04, 11:16 PM
Garry Jones

Default Pump injury

I was in an cycling event here in May, I came to the scene of a crash
just after it had happened. A guy was in the ditch in pain, he was taken
to hospital by ambulance.

Now, two months later I have just heard that he is getting over the
worst of it. However, the doctors found a strange injury in his spine,
his minipump (which he carried in his rear jersey pocket) had forced
itself into his spine when he landed on his back. Luckily, this cyclist
is expected to make a complete recovery.

However, hearing about this pump injury I thought I'd put this out on
the net and see if anyone else has heard of this. Year ago everyone had
frame pumps (like I still do) that clipped in under the top tube. Today
more and more cyclists are turning to these minipumps, that fit into
rear pockets.

Was this a fluke injury or should we advise people not to carry a pump
there?

Garry Jones
President Mora Cycling Club
Sweden
Old July 29th 04, 11:37 PM
Bob Wheeler

The place for extra tack is on a rack and not on your back.

--
Bob Wheeler --- http://www.bobwheeler.com/
ECHIP, Inc. ---

Old July 29th 04, 11:45 PM
S o r n i

Bob Wheeler top-posted:

The place for extra tack is on a rack and not on your back.

How 'bout a sack?

Bill "and don't lack a snack" S.

Old July 29th 04, 11:50 PM
David Reuteler

Bob Wheeler wrote:
The place for extra tack is on a rack and not on your back.

you are doing a good job of establishing yourself as a retrogrouch to be
reckoned with.
--
david reuteler

Old July 30th 04, 08:22 AM
Garry Jones

Bob Wheeler wrote:

The place for extra tack is on a rack and not on your back.

Yes, I agree, but possible due to considered air resistance, lots of
cyclists are now putting these in their rear pockets. Frame pumps used
to fir within the frame, lots of these mini-pumps fit alongside the
frame. Some people argue that the increased wind drag makes a
difference.

Personaly I have never understood the need to change something that
works and long frame fitted pumps still work fine for me.

Garry Jones
Old July 30th 04, 04:02 PM
maxo

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 00:16:36 +0200, Garry Jones wrote:

Was this a fluke injury or should we advise people not to carry a pump
there?

Garry Jones
President Mora Cycling Club
Sweden

Fluke injury--though I prefer the frame pumps as well.

If you see one of the Morrell brothers around in Mora, say hi from Max in
Nashville.

Old July 30th 04, 05:12 PM
Chris Zacho The Wheelman

I went down whilst commuting home and my keys gouged a hole out of the
flesh on my hip, requiring many stitches. Carrying anything that can
poke, stab, cut or gouge on your person is dangerous when you fall or
crash into something.

Since then, I leave all nasty things like that where they are less
likely to forcibly enter by body. One of the reasons I miss my
Suspention Eyrewear was that, unlike norman glasses, they had no such
dangerous parts.

- -

"May you have the wind at your back.
And a really low gear for the hills!"

Chris'Z Corner
http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

Old July 30th 04, 05:50 PM
Bob in CT

On 30 Jul 2004 09:36:49 -0700, amh wrote:

Garry Jones wrote in message
[...]

Sounds like a fluke more than anything else to me. But it happened to
this poor guy. I have grown annoyed over the years as the bags that
fit under the sadle have shrunk in size and can no longer accomodate a
mini pump. I have a Trek bag now that is falling apart and I'm not
looking forward to replacing it. I was never a fan of frame mounting
pumps. No reason other than not liking it.

Andy

All of my pumps mount using the bolts for a water bottle cage. I like
it. I do agree with you, though, that the bags are getting too small.
There are still some large ones, though. I have two tubes, two patch
kits, multiple tools, money, a saddle cover, and more in the one on my
racing bike. The one on my mountain bike even has more crap in it,
including temporary spoke fixit widgets, chain links, etc.

--
Bob in CT
Remove ".x" to reply