Finally back to freestyle...

Old July 10th 03, 02:38 PM
joe

Default Finally back to freestyle...

Andrew... Cool!

Im so excited too! Im getting my Trials wheel back tonight... with KH
hub and cranks.

Its been away (at rogers) for a while, and in it absence, I kept going
out and doing a bit of Freestyle on my Nimbus (YUni), which I used to do
freestyle on, but sort of lots interest in it when I got my MUni and
Trials... but now i love it (again).

I forgot how fun Freestyle is! And the feeling you get when you finally
hammer that trick you've been working on for ages! I love it!

Even when I get my Trials back, I will definatly still work on my
Freestyle.

Joe,

--
joe - Hockey Head

www.cool.unicyclist.com
joe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/957

Old July 10th 03, 05:39 PM
gingerfreek

good one andrew! i've made a freestyle frame to go on my old Dm 20"
after getting my trials(with KH hub/cranks), its got a flat crown and i
find that helps so much. as for barefoot ive never tried it but i can
imagine gliding would be very painful.

iain

--
gingerfreek - unicyclist of mass destruction.

I use my wheel as a weapon!
gingerfreek's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3507

Old July 11th 03, 06:11 AM
DasDingus

What no Ultimate Wheel Andrew?

I've had mine for a while, and i think it is easier to ride a BC wheel
than a UW. You should build one.

How's the BC wheel coming along?

--
DasDingus - Poor Unicyclist

That's where I saw the leprechaun!

He told me to burn things!
DasDingus's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3294

Old July 11th 03, 10:29 AM
andrew_carter

That's good to hear about your future wheel Joe. By now you've most
likely got it...congratulations. Nailing new tricks and skills is
definately fun. Today I managed to 1 foot wheel walk for 5m and only
stopped because is was raining outside and I ran out of garage.

Barefoot riding is great. My feet didn't hurt at all today when
practising pull-gliding, gliding, and 1 foot wheel walking and I've got
pretty wussy feet. You should try it Iain.

As for frame-less unicycles, I'm going to build myself an UW. I'll get
some bits of metal threaded to put the pedals in and screw them onto the
wood. That's good to hear about yours. Have you got any photos? Can
you ride it properly yet? I haven't ridden my BC wheel for ages. I
really enjoy riding it by pushing off a handrail and rolling for 10m or
so, but I'm still too intimidated by the rolling mount. I guess I
wouldn't be if I tried it more often. Have you got any photos of your
BC wheel? Does it have pedals or pegs (you've probably told me but I've
forgotten)?

Today I spent 6 hours helping to build a BMX track then had a 2 hour
drum lesson so I only had a little bit of unicycling time, but I still
made some good progress. As I said, I can now 1 foot wheel walk for 5m
and pull-glide. I'm really excited because I can see myself gliding
soon. Also, I rode inside a 1.5-2m diameter circle one footed.

The main lesson for the day was that downhill barefoot gliding on a
slick tyre in the rain is very difficult. I can't wait to try it out
when it's not raining. I can feel it getting close!

I had another great day, how about you?
Andrew

--
andrew_carter - Unicyclist

andrew_carter (at) mail (dot) com
'GP Unicycles' (http://tinyurl.com/8roq)

Old July 12th 03, 11:10 AM
andrew_carter

Today I did a nice slow 4m downhill glide and 1 foot wheel walked for
about 10m. Tomorrow I'm hoping to glide for 10m down a hill. Gliding
for any real distance on a flat surface will take some time I think.

I love freestyle!

--
andrew_carter - Vic Wooten rides a unicycle!

Old July 13th 03, 06:58 AM
andrew_carter

I've been going from 1 foot wheel walking down a hill. I guess it's not
proper gliding because I'm using a hill to keep going, but I enjoy it.
I'll move onto flatland gliding when I get a bit better. When my old
20" with a knobby tyre was in working order I was going from riding with
one foot on the left pedal and the other on the wheel. Then I'd take
the left foot and try to put it on the frame. I think I'm better off
going from 1 foot wheel walking because then I can go slowly and more
controlled.

Today I did a 7m glide down a hill. It was really fun and started to
feel like proper gliding. Now that I'm up to 7m, the wheel and my foot
are starting to heat up a little too much. At my current skill level I
still need to put a fair bit of pressure on the wheel the whole time and
it get's surprisingly hot. I guess I'll have to wear some of those $10
coral-walking shoes I used to use.

Andrew

Old July 13th 03, 09:35 AM
andrew_carter

I went out for another half-hour session this afternoon and did a 32m
glide! It was such an amazing feeling. I'm still only going downhill
for now. I've been setting up next to a tree and doing one biggish push
before gliding down the hill. I love gliding!

Andrew

Old July 14th 03, 10:23 PM
DasDingus

Can you ride it properly yet?

It depends what your defitnition is. I can ride about maybe 5
revolutions. I guess i could do more if i practiced it more, since i
have higher priorities with my other unicycles.

Does it have pedals or pegs (you've probably told me but I've
forgotten)?

I cut off some cranks, put some pedals on it, and screwed the cranks
onto the axle.

That's good to hear about yours. Have you got any photos?

When i did my physics presntation on unicycling, my teacher took a
picture of me freemounting my giraffe. If you look below me, you can see
my BC wheel on top of my UW. Sorry that's my best one.

Well good luck building your UW and riding your BC wheel (remember
rolling mount just like suicide mount: its all mental)

| Attachment filename: i.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/153397|