Talk Radio Hosts Encourage Killing Cyclists

Old May 4th 04, 02:51 PM
Cycle America

Default Talk Radio Hosts Encourage Killing Cyclists

How much lower can we go? Each and everyone of of us must take action
now. It's almost as if life has become disposable in Iraq so we can
drive our cars and if you don't support that war for oil by not driving
that your un-Americanism warrants death here as well. Who can reply with
email addresses to WRKO and WNNX so we can bury them with our reaction?
This is horrific:

TALK RADIO HOSTS TARGETING BICYCLISTS--AGAIN
Radio talk show hosts are targeting bicyclists again. Stations in three
cities in the last two weeks have made disparaging, incorrect, and at
times dangerous remarks about bicyclists and encouraged listeners to
call in and share their views about bicyclists. On April 16, Howie Carr
on Boston's WRKO-AM said, "They [bicyclists] are the biggest pain...if
there is a sidewalk, I don't care what the law is, ride on the damn
sidewalk, OK? You don't belong on the road. You don't. That's all there
is to it. You belong on the sidewalk." Later on, he said, "I don't want
to share the road."

On April 23, DJs on the Don Miller show on Atlanta's WNNX-FM (99X)
repeatedly ridiculed bicyclists. One host said, "I can't stand them,"
and referred to cyclists as "*******s." Of the law giving cyclists the
right to use the roads, they said it's a "horrible law" and that
bicyclists should "get on the sidewalk where they belong." When a caller
wanted to let the hosts know about Atlanta area cyclists who'd been
killed in traffic crashes, the response was, "...and I wanna let you
know how many people care about those cyclists." Most alarmingly, one DJ
said he would "nudge them [bicyclists] right off the road into a tree."
When challenged by a colleague that he hadn't done that, he said,
"You've never done that? It's so much fun. Smoke a little weed, get
behind the wheel...wheee!"

To hear the heinous 99X broadcast segments, for more details and to take
action to stop this onslaught of broadcast harassment, visit
http://www.bikeleague.org. None of the stations involved are owned by
Clear Channel Communications. Last year, following a string of similar
incidents, Clear Channel made it clear it would not tolerate such
behavior on its stations. Visit http://www.bikemonth.org to hear radio
PSA recorded by Clear Channel to promote bicycling and sharing the road.

To hear these broadcasts again:
http://www.bikeleague.org/mediacenter/quickresponse.htm

M A R T I N K R I E G : "Awake Again" Author
http://www.bikeroute.com/AwakeAgain
Bent Since '83, Car Free Since '89, '79 & '86 TransAms
Coma, Paralysis, Clinical Death Survivor
Can You Change it with Love?
N A T I O N A L B I C Y C L E G R E E N W A Y
Old May 4th 04, 04:55 PM
AustinMN

Cycle America wrote:
How much lower can we go? Each and everyone of of us must take action
now. It's almost as if life has become disposable in Iraq so we can
drive our cars and if you don't support that war for oil by not driving
that your un-Americanism warrants death here as well. Who can reply with
email addresses to WRKO and WNNX so we can bury them with our reaction?
This is horrific:

http://www.wrko.com/contact.asp

WNNX doesn't seem to have an email contact on it's web site.

Snail mail:

99X
780 Johnson Ferry Road.
Fifth Floor
Atlanta, GA 30342

Main Phone: 404-497-4700
Request Line: 404-741-0997
Fax: 404-497-4735
Old May 4th 04, 06:18 PM
LioNiNoiL_a t_NetscapE_D 0 T_NeT

On April 16, Howie Carr on Boston's WRKO-AM said,
"They [bicyclists] are the biggest pain...if there is a sidewalk,
I don't care what the law is, ride on the damn sidewalk, OK?
You don't belong on the road. You don't. That's all there is to it.
You belong on the sidewalk."

This is the same Howie Carr who wrote a Boston Herald column in 1997
that began:

I'm an American driver and I'm consumed by road rage
and much of it has been caused by overexposure to one
group of road miscreants -- bicycle riders.

In 2001 he wrote:

Bicycles are OK in the driveway if you're 6 years old.
Once you get your driver's license, it's time to lose
the bicycle, or at least confine its use to dirt paths,
or the woods. But stay off our highways.

Last month, he was bitching about the cost of John Kerry's Serotta.

Carr is a former frat-boy who has figured out how to make a living by
posing as an Archie Bunker-style right-wing asshole. You can write to
the Boston Herald at:

--
It's not about anger -- it's about peace.
It's not about power -- it's about grace.

Old May 4th 04, 06:52 PM
Cycle America

Already I am receiving a lot of mail about this insanity. Here for
example, is what Kern has done:

At 8:56 AM -0700 5/4/04, Kern wrote:
Thanks for sending this, Martin. I've written letters to the two
station owners involved, and the FCC as well. I'm furious that this
kind of crap would be tolerated on the air, while stations and station
owners are publicly castigated for showing nudity. What an immorality!

-- Kern

here is what Steve S said:

Your most recent regarding the radio hosts is very sad. In light of our
dwindling oil supply, the increase in demand over the ability to produce
and the resulting rise in oil prices, one would think the U.S. would
cheer those who choose to ride their bike rather than use up such a
precious commodity and further pollute our air. We are a spoiled
society and these remarks are one of the best examples.

Warmest regards,

Steve

and Joe M:

Hello
As one who has bicycled from Fairbanks, Alaska to Key West, Florida and
many other places in North America and Europe, I am outraged by the
attitude of many americans toward bicyclists.

Bicyclists do not belong on the sidewalk. They have every right to use
the roadway.

Old May 4th 04, 09:42 PM
William Asher

AustinMN wrote:

Cycle America wrote:
How much lower can we go? Each and everyone of of us must take action
now. It's almost as if life has become disposable in Iraq so we can
drive our cars and if you don't support that war for oil by not
driving that your un-Americanism warrants death here as well. Who can
reply with email addresses to WRKO and WNNX so we can bury them with
our reaction? This is horrific:

http://www.wrko.com/contact.asp

WNNX doesn't seem to have an email contact on it's web site.

Snail mail:

99X
780 Johnson Ferry Road.
Fifth Floor
Atlanta, GA 30342

Main Phone: 404-497-4700
Request Line: 404-741-0997
Fax: 404-497-4735

To get e-mail addresses for WNNX go to the Station/Contact page and click
on any of the names that show up. E-mail all of them. They probably
could use the company.

e.g. general manager Mark Reiner:

-Bill "Share the Love" Asher
Old May 4th 04, 10:14 PM
TM

"Cycle America" wrote in message
How much lower can we go?

Last night on NPR they had a highbrow essay bashing American cyclists. The
author, reading his own piece, contrasted the virtuous cycling of Amsterdam
vs. that in found in America.

I think that is lower because it is such a pathetic 'me too' disguised as
creative art. They are probably giggling over the letters the spot will
generate. Miscreants.

Old May 4th 04, 10:29 PM
Zoot Katz

4 May 2004 20:42:03 GMT, ,
William Asher wrote:

They probably
could use the company.

They won't care until their advertisers threaten to pull ads.
--
zk
Old May 4th 04, 11:09 PM
Tom Keats

In article ,
Cycle America writes:

TALK RADIO HOSTS TARGETING BICYCLISTS--AGAIN

On April 16, Howie Carr
on Boston's WRKO-AM said, "They [bicyclists] are the biggest pain...if
there is a sidewalk, I don't care what the law is, ride on the damn
sidewalk, OK? You don't belong on the road. You don't. That's all there
is to it. You belong on the sidewalk." Later on, he said, "I don't want
to share the road."

I expect Howie (and others) will maintain this ignorant attitude
regardless of any wrong-way/lane-filtering POBs "giving all
cyclists a bad name". We could all ride like perfect, virtuous
saints all the time, and the anti-cyclist drivers will still have
this attitude, because they simply hate bikes. And we're chronically
stuck with them, like herpes or income tax.

It would be easy to suggest Howie gives all drivers a bad name,
but I don't think that's true either. But he sure doesn't help.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Powered by FreeBSD