Tire damage

Old May 4th 04, 10:27 PM
Roger Zoul

Default Tire damage

I was changing a flat on the front tire of my Specialized Sequoia Expert,
which has these Specialized New Turbo Pro, 700 x 26c, kevlar bead tires:

http://www.specialized.com/SBCBkMode...9 s8ix.j27008

Anywho, I'm using a Specialized tube, had it in the tire with a Mr. Tuffy (I
had been having a run of flats) and was pumping it up. All of a sudden, I
hear a big pop along with some pain in my left ear! The tube exploded near
the stem (about 2.5 inches long, clear tear). Okay, I can junk an $8 tube
(LBS price). But then I noticed something wrong with the tire at a couple of
spots on its edge or rim. It seems that the pressure of pushing the tire off
the rim has caused some slight damage to the lip of the tire at two
locations very near the stem hole (obviously, at locations on the tire that
were near the stem hole on the wheel). Apparently some material has been
pushed off (about an inch at each spot), exposing what looks like some kind
of bead that runs along the lip of the tire. I hope that is clear.

Is this tire ruined? Will I have issues if I try to use it? Please advise.
Thanks.

Bizzare Tire Wear Tony General 11 February 17th 04 12:45 PM
Proper Tire Inflation Roger Zoul General 19 December 11th 03 12:42 PM
Women riding alone- is that THAT unusual?? Zoot Katz General 49 August 31st 03 02:17 AM
Tire mounting trouble Terry Morse General 3 August 20th 03 02:52 AM
Q. Will I benefit from different tire size or type? Joe Samangitak General 15 August 8th 03 03:38 AM