road widths

Old August 9th 03, 10:55 PM
Doctor Phibes

Default road widths

Who decides these things? To acommodate cars they take roads designed
over 100 years ago and turn them into twin lanes with no bike lane, no
road shoulder. Isn't this severely unfair? I often see room on side
of road for expansion, why cant they expand the road? Why not
guardrail it off to encourage more environmentally sound forms of
transportation? A lot of people dont dare commute by bike because of
the fear of being hit. If they cant fork out the $$ to expand how
about some signs reminding drivers they're suppose to drive to center
of the road? Why go even further, a driver every time they renew their
license should have to be retested only a more comprehensive test. All
the rules should be included as well as an essay section. It's not
like the police help, their lack of devotion to anything other than
their own "brotherhood" has encouraged the wreckless behavior of
automobilist. Why maybe cyclists should travel in packs of 20 or more
and hog the entire road. There's no law against that is there?
Old August 9th 03, 11:39 PM
Rick Onanian

On 9 Aug 2003 14:55:50 -0700, Doctor Phibes
wrote:

Who decides these things? To acommodate cars they take roads designed
over 100 years ago and turn them into twin lanes with no bike lane, no

Lane width, believe it or not, is actually derived from
Roman chariot dimensions. I can't remember all the
connections, but every time a new transportation technology
came around, the wheels and axles were always built by the
same guys who built wheels and axles for existing technology,
so they built them the same width. Well, each time, it became
the standard.

Chariots - ??? - Wagons - Trains - horseless carriages - cars

road shoulder. Isn't this severely unfair? I often see room on side
of road for expansion, why cant they expand the road? Why not

Because that would make sense. We can't have that.

It would also be rather expensive, and we all pay enough taxes
already; it certainly couldn't be taken out of money that was
for something else, like, for example, waste.

guardrail it off to encourage more environmentally sound forms of
transportation? A lot of people dont dare commute by bike because of

That would be cool.

the fear of being hit. If they cant fork out the $$ to expand how
about some signs reminding drivers they're suppose to drive to center
of the road? Why go even further, a driver every time they renew their
license should have to be retested only a more comprehensive test. All
the rules should be included as well as an essay section. It's not

Now you're really asking too much, in asking people to be
careful or maybe even change their habits!

like the police help, their lack of devotion to anything other than
their own "brotherhood" has encouraged the wreckless behavior of

That's how being employed by the government works.

No, but it ****es off automotive drivers who then do everything
they can to **** off bicyclists.

--
Rick Onanian
Old August 10th 03, 02:35 AM
Doctor Phibes

wrote:

[...]

Well half my post was suppose to be dry humor . I'm travelling over
"new roads"(bikeless roads). I seen one other cyclist, never seen him
again. I do find that after a while the drivers adjust to you.
Vacation is over now "i'm actually gonna have to hit the major highway
exit at a reasonable speed say 50 mph instead of 70" rethinking.
People are habitual, they often travel at the same time...i think of
what i'm doing is slowly invading their territory to make room for
other cyclists. Human nature, "if he can do it so can I". The first
day I used the route most of the drivers(lotta trucks)passed me going
about 45 mph within 6 inches, now they're fading off say 4 feet.

I don't expect anyone to support cyclists who commute. We can support
each other though by keeping the ground we have aquired. Be visible
and watch out for blind sided right hand from the rear turns
Old August 11th 03, 02:00 PM
The Causey Way

"Doctor Phibes" wrote in message
m...
Who decides these things? To acommodate cars they take roads designed
over 100 years ago and turn them into twin lanes with no bike lane, no
road shoulder. Isn't this severely unfair? I often see room on side
of road for expansion, why cant they expand the road?

While travelling in rural Kentucky recently, I saw what would be a cyclist's
paradise if the roads had any shoulder at all. They were literally just wide
enough for two cars to pass. We encountered one cyclist the whole way.
Traffic wasn't too heavy, but people were obviously not acclimated to bikes.
You're right, drivers do adapt. In a way, I'd feel safer riding through
downtown Boston where people are used to bikes than on a narrow Kentucky
road with aggressive drivers, which is a shame, because Kentucky is prettier
than Boston.