protecting saddle + post from theft?

Old August 5th 03, 07:33 PM
Pat

Default protecting saddle + post from theft?

x-no-archive:yes

, (beaver charlie) from
Ahhh, only in America...

Who else would spend $4,000 fretting away every milligram of bicycle
weight, only to load it down with 50 lbs of anchor chain to keep it
from being stolen!

I don't think anyone here would be using a 4K bike as a townie.

Yeah, but then reality wouldn't sound so great, would it? When you
badmouth somebody--or in this case, an entire country, exaggeration helps a
lot.

Pat in TX

Old August 5th 03, 11:16 PM
Tim Cain

"ant" wrote in message
om...
wrote in message news:6uIXa.2166
If you can get the seat adjusted to a height you're happy with, you

could
weld it in place, or drill a hole through the post, bolt it in place,

and
mess up the threads so it couldn't be undone without a hacksaw.

if your bike wasnt stupid light, a rivet or two would look a lot
cleaner than a bolt, and would be more secure. you could always drill
them out later. or for a beater-glue. you could just fill fastener
heads with epoxy. use a punch (to break otu the epoxy) or a
screw-extractor to remove later. or- perhaps even filling the fastener
with something temporary like wax might work. stop a thief inserting
an allen key without a whole lot of fussing about.

In an Allen screw, a ball bearing to fit + clear bathroom
silicone sealant is a good deterrent.

Tim.

---

Old August 8th 03, 09:43 AM
Bruni

The industrial types produce bolts/wrenches with a pin in the center of the
socket, hole in wrench as "tamper proof".
Discourages opportunistic theft.
Tom

--
Bruni Bicycles
"Where art meets science"
wrote in message
igy.com...

"Sanjay Punjab" wrote in message
om...
I recently had my saddle and seat post stolen off my bike. I had allen
screws securing both, not quick release levers. Is there a way to
secure the saddle and seat post better to a bike?
Locking the saddle frame to the triangle of the bike frame could
atleast help protect the saddle, but a relatively thin cable lock can
be cut easily.
I am looking for some effective ideas to secure both.
Thanks