nongrippy metal pedals

Old August 20th 03, 10:18 PM
ubersquish

Default nongrippy metal pedals

are there any nonplastic pedals that won't totally destroy foam sandals?
the plastic spindles on my torker pedals sorta worry me. and it just
seems sort of silly to me to buy pedals that aren't going to last me
forever, so i don't want plastic anywhere on them. i don't plan on doing
any muni, trials, freestyle, or other pedal-stressing activity any time
soon

--
ubersquish
ubersquish's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4328

Old August 20th 03, 10:25 PM
gerblefranklin

You could just buy some cheap metal platform pedals with removable pins
and take out all the pins. Make sure ALL of the pins are removable,
though.

--
gerblefranklin

Old August 20th 03, 10:33 PM
john_childs

There are metal pedals that use blunt molded "pins" (they're more like
nubs) rather than the replaceable threaded nasty sharp pins.
Unfortunately I don't know the brands or models of pedals that have the
molded in nubs. Your local bike shop should be able to find them in
their catalog. I used a safe metal pedal with blunt nubs when I was
learning to muni.

John Foss uses a metal pedal on his muni that has molded grip "fins".
But again, I don't know what brand of pedal he's using.

They're out there, just ask your local bike shop.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

Old August 20th 03, 10:51 PM
gerblefranklin

The wellgo's have "nubs", I think. The fins I think you're referring to
are caged pedals. Those are even worse than pinned platforms. Then again
you could be referrung to the Brooklyn Shin Burgers, which are the
pedals shins have nightmares of.

--
gerblefranklin

Old August 20th 03, 11:01 PM
ubersquish

would these nubs be a problem if i barefooted?

Old August 20th 03, 11:26 PM
john_childs

gerblefranklin wrote:
*The wellgo's have "nubs", I think. The fins I think you're referring
to are caged pedals. Those are even worse than pinned platforms. Then
again you could be referrung to the Brooklyn Shin Burgers, which are
the pedals shins have nightmares of. *

No, they're not caged "bear-trap"pedals. They're very friendly and not
scary. They're also not like the Brooklyn Machine Works Shinburgers,
those are nasty. The molded nubs or molded fins are rounded and dull
and not sharp.

Old August 21st 03, 12:56 AM
U-Turn

I have a pair of Shinburgers in the shop now waiting for the rest of the
uni to be prepared. They're actually not bad. I took one and scraped
it on my bare shin using my hand and it wasn't unpleasant at all. Of
course, I wasn't using excessive force. But I'm sure they would be very
kind to sandals and would probably give good grip under sandal-wearing
conditions. I'm pretty sure a person could ride them barefoot with no
abrasion, cuts, or even discomfort. The top of each little "mountain"
is quite smooth.

My personal opinion, though, is that there are few sandal-wearing
conditions and no barefoot ones. The chances of losing a toe in the
spokes are too high. My daughter uses sandals but her toes are
completely covered. Her only risk with those leather sandals is losing
a little skin off the top of her toes on a headlong fall.

--
U-Turn - Mounting a Revolution

Weep in the dojo... laugh in the battlefield.

'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'

-- Dave Stockton

Old August 21st 03, 05:02 AM
duaner

ubersquish wrote:
*would these nubs be a problem if i barefooted? *

I've ridden almost entirely barefooted for a year now (exceptions
below). The pedals I've been using are the plastic ones that come stock
on many Giant bicycles. The plastic nubs are just soft enough for bare
feet and the pedals have a large enough surface area to help distribute
the load. I've been using the same pair of pedals for a year, and
though they are a bit chewed up on the sides (from UPDs) the surfaces
are still fine, and the bearings are still as tight as new! Also, these
pedals are real cheap (at least for me) - lots of people buy the Giant
bicycles with other pedals, so the dealer sells the original pedals for
$10 a pair.

U-Turn wrote:
... The chances of losing a toe in the spokes are too high. ...[/b]

I concure with your warning, but ...

I'm doing about level 3-4 freestyle style riding on 20" and 24"s and
feel pretty safe. I would not want to barefoot Muni or trials - unless
I knew ahead of time that the route I was on was pretty tame for my
skill level (which is currently zip for Muni/trials).

I played Hockey once barefoot - it worked fine but did worry me a bit.
Having since read the hockey rules, and noticed that shoes are the
_only_ required 'safety equipment', I have decided that it's probably
for good reason and am now wearing shoes for hockey.

I wore shoes to learn mounting the Coker, and expect I will wear them
for any planned fast rides.

I am also wearing shoes for giraffe riding. 1. for the softened
landing, 2. for the added ankle support, and 3. to freemount because
jamming my barefoot into the frame on top of wheel is uncomfortable even
before starting the mount. -- If/when I 'master' the giraffe and it's
freemount, I might consider barefoot on it - if I can get around #3.

Curiously there are some small benefits to riding barefoot:

You can tell exactly how your feet are placed on the pedals.

You can grip the pedals by wrapping your toes over the front edges.

You are less lekely to ride too fast (for fear of destroying your feet
in a UPD

--
duaner - -
duaner's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4297

Old August 21st 03, 06:09 AM
ubersquish

i like you %}

those are words to encourage any shoe hater. i don't wear gloves and
such when it's cold for reasons sorta like those. i'm glad to see i'm
not alone

Old August 21st 03, 07:14 PM
paco

I'm not sure how comfortable unispins and the like (or gliding, for that
matter) will be without shoes. But hey, if you like to be a barefoot
rider, more power to you! I've had some nasty owies from riding
barefoot, but I'd say that's more from my natural clumsiness than from
anything else.

--
paco - Creator of the "BUni"

"One thing is for sure. Inspector Clay is dead. Murdered. And
-somebody's- responsible!"
-Plan 9 From Outer Space
paco's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3715