arm armour

Old August 24th 03, 12:15 AM
BigWheelTex

Default arm armour

hi everyone,

i know that most people that do muni get leg armour instead of arm
armour. i have done a few muni rides and i seem to usually land on my
arms. i just recently was on a muni ride and fractured my right radial
head, just by my elbow. not a big fracture. when i saw the x-ray i
couldn't find it without the doc showing me. anyway, does anyone have a
preference between the 661's and the roach arm armour? pros and cons
much appreciated. thanks, guys and gals.

the one-armed, one-wheeled cynic,
Aj

--
BigWheelTex
BigWheelTex's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1732

Old August 24th 03, 04:53 AM
gerblefranklin

I couldn't find an answer when I was deciding on armour, but I knew the
roaches were tried and true, so I went with them. My philosophy is don't
risk your health, at any price. I also reccomend getting the leg and arm
armour. I use both for muni and they've saved me many a scrape and
possibly some fractures. I also use the leg armour for trials, uni
basketball, and the occasional bout of demolition derby. The raoch leg
pads have saved me at least 3 fractured tibias, from failed ups, and the
knee part has made it so falls that would make me walk instead of ride
have just been minor inconveniences. I say just get one or the other, as
long as you wear 'em.

--
gerblefranklin

If life had a meaning, would you want to know it?

Old August 24th 03, 05:49 PM
MUNIYETI

I use the 661 arm/elbow pads and they seem to have worked for at least a
few "roll-outs" from crashes.... I don't know if they would be best if
you landed on rocks though..... I guess it's a compromise between the
full-on protection of some of the hard-shell Mountainbike Downhill type
guards and the lighter weight guards that are a little more comfortable
to ride in...... also if you're "Big-Armed Tex" the 661 fit a little
tight (I have size Large, I don't have Schwarzenegger sized pipes, and
they fit pretty snug around my arm).....

--
MUNIYETI
MUNIYETI's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4183

Old August 25th 03, 02:27 PM
S_Wallis

Sure sorry to hear about your break, Aj. How long is it going to keep
you off the new KH?
I don't usually wear any arm armor, but I sure wish I would have had it
on when I hit the street yesterday. But that was just a dumb stunt. I
sometimes wear elbow guards in cooler weather when rock riding. So far
my arms have been the least injured part of my body. When you and I
rode I don't think you were wearing wrist guards. I think these are
absolutely the most important piece of equipment (aside from a helmet)
because when you have your hands and wrists protected, you will
automatically use them to save the rest of your body from damage. With
unprotected hands, one tends to use forearms and shoulders to take some
of the impact. That's my personal observation anyway. If you were
wearing wrist guards when you got hurt, disregard what I said, and maybe
it will help someone else.
I just got my second pair of Harbinger gloves last week, and already
wore a big chunk out of the plastic splint on yesterday's crash.

Scott

--
S_Wallis - MUni motivated

"I am always doing that which I can not do,
in order that I may learn how to do it."
Pablo Picasso
S_Wallis's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1520

Old September 4th 03, 05:29 AM
duaner

BigWheelTex wrote:
*... i just recently was on a muni ride and fractured my right radial
head, just by my elbow. ...
Aj
*

Aj,

Your KH muni misses you, but, I think it still enjoyed the 2+ hour ride
we took thru Walnut Creek park today; I know I did!
Thanks for the loan (but next time please don't break your arm).

duaner.

--
duaner - -
duaner's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4297

Old September 4th 03, 09:43 AM
nickjb

BigWheelTex wrote:
*also, does anyone know if the 661 wrist wraps have plastic inserts in
them and how durable they are?

Aj *

They do have plastic inserts but they are quite small bits. They
certainly feel quite rigid but are flexible enough to use while riding a
mountain bike. I am thinking of going back to my old skating ones for
MUni and just using the 661s for cycling.

Nick

--
nickjb - one wheel short
nickjb's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1074

Old September 4th 03, 11:04 AM
duaner

BigWheelTex wrote:
*also, does anyone know if the 661 wrist wraps have plastic inserts in
them and how durable they are?

Aj *

http://www.nsmb.com/gear/wrist_wraps_review.php looks like a fairly
detailed review.

duaner.

Old September 4th 03, 03:03 PM
BigWheelTex

Thanks for the review. I had honestly forgotten that I also asked about
the wristwraps. I think I'll keep looking. I'm glad you enjoyed the muni
ride. I got Eric to order me the Roach arm pads so I will off roading in
a week or so. Damn the cracked elbow. Damn it to a firey two-wheeled
hell!!!!! This just means you're gonna have to order yourself a KH. That
would be cool. Later.

Aj

Old September 5th 03, 05:16 PM
thinuniking

there is a sale on the 661 armour not sure what the site now but if you
go on my pad/freestyle/muni/trials or some thing like that thread there
is a link

--
thinuniking - started trails unicycling

i have given up the wheel to live