Reflections on a poor ride

Old September 4th 03, 07:54 PM
Mandell

Default Reflections on a poor ride

Yesterday's commute was awful!

I had trouble mounting, I wobbled, I "zshed" back and forth, and I UPDd
on a relatively easy corner.

While going through these trials and tribulations, I had time to think
about why things were going so poorly. This is the list of possible
causes (I suspect some combination):

1. My pack was heavier than usual (included a 2 pound computer repair
tool kit).
2. I had more of an audience than usual (for the initial, frustrating,
mount).
3. I hadn't rode in 5 days (I normally don't like to go more than 1 day
without riding).
4. The last riding I had done was all on rough surfaces (grass "roads",
gravel road, etc.
5. My broken forks.

Option number 4 comes up because I noticed that I was "over riding" the
sidewalks I was on. The type of riding I had been doing required me to
be light in the seat and ready to make large corrections when hitting
obsticals. It wasn't until I was almost home that I made a concious
effort to settle into the seat and peddle smoother.

Option 5 was more of an issue at the end of my ride as some of the hills
put extra stress on the frame and I think that the lollipop bolts worked
a little loose (again). I will re-settle my cracked frame on the
lollipops again before taking it out tomorrow (or tonight).

Also, while riding, I thought about the fact that I get so nervous just
before riding. I am introverted by nature, but unicycling is, in some
ways, an extroverted sport. I find myself talking to more people on my
commute than I normally would. Also, it is like I am on a stage, even
though I just want to ride for my own enjoyment. Is this the makings of
a psychosis?

Now for the questions:

Does anyone else have trouble transitioning from rough terrain to
smooth, or is it just because I am new at this?

Should I stop riding until I replace my frame or otherwise fix up the
crack on the lollipops?

--
Mandell - Keen Beginner
Mandell's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3769

Old September 5th 03, 10:46 AM
Mikefule

You get good days and bad days when riding. Any change of machine,
terrain or style can make it difficult for a few minutes, but I'm
surprised the effect is as great as you have described. It sounds like
you're too tense. To ride well, you have to reach the stage where you
no longer think about the mechanics of riding.

Some ideas which might help:

First, get a new frame. A decent frame can be bought remarkably
cheaply. Most of the cost of a unicycle is in the wheel/tyre set. If
your frame is broken, it will have a direct effect on your riding
(however minor the damage) and it will also nag away at your mind.

Then adjust your tyre pressure. A soft tyre can cause weave and poor
response on a tarmac/concrete surface. 30 seconds with a foot pump may
transform the uni.

Cranks: as the Vogon guard didn't say, "Resistance is useful." On
tarmac/concrete, a uni set up for more difficult surfaces can be hard to
ride because the cranks are too long. Shorter cranks will 'gear up' the
uni, smooth out your pedalling action, and make you go faster.

Practise. For smooth control, practise idling and reversing, but also
practise riding forwards very very fast.

--
Mikefule - Roland Hope School of Unicycling

The long distance Fule on his farcycle

Old September 5th 03, 12:25 PM
Rowan

If you do not want to pay the full price of a replacement frame, you
could consider fixing the cracks. My first unicycle had lollypop bearing
holders, and it cracked between the bolts. I took it to the bike store
and they suggested I use some of the sturdy Mountain-bike seatpost
material that they had lying around. The shop was going to fix it for me
but I couldn't wait to go riding, and they seemed to be having trouble
drilling through the seatpost shods. I took the shods off their hands
and bored them out on Jake's drill press. After that, the frame was as
good as new, or probably even better. A better frame design will not
crack anywhere near as easily, such as one with main-cap style bearing
holders.

| Attachment filename: frame_fix.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/160506|

Rowan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3772